i got a small $5 flip winchester knife from walmart for everyday purposes, nothing fancy.

and my fancy one is more show than useful. its just wall-art. well bookshelf art to be exact. been looking for some kinda nice sword to go with it but i havent found one to my liking that isnt $240. and the only reason i really like the ones on that site are because its based on a book/tv show that i love, which is what makes it so expensive so im hopeless lol. but anyway heres my kukri:

kukri.jpg

Just picked up one of these at the gun show in Oaks for $10. The cutter on the handle has a protrusion at the top though, have to get the metal file out and file it down. Other than that I like it, black locks positively open and closed, just enough resistance that you won't accidentally open it. The torsion bar is easy to get out of the way so you can close it. Restraint cutter and glass breaker, 3 1/4 blade with a small serration, so it shouldn't be hard to come up with a lawful reason should I need to.

yc569.jpg

I need to get myself a new knife, my current gerber is dull and beat to hell

Sharpen the blade. I use mine almost daily and it gets sharpened on a weekly basis. I've been carrying my current blade for well over 10 years I don't care if it looks beat to hell as long as it gets the job done.

A sharp blade is much safer to use than when it's dull. It should be able to shave the hairs off your arm.

Can anybody reccomend a sharpening method for someone who has never done so before ? I've had plenty of knives in the past, found one that I really really love to carry. Extremely light, good ergonomics and feel, when I first got it it was extremely sharp, but I've been really using and abusing it the past 3 months or so.

It's a Kershaw ken onion blade.

6858651813_0135edeea5_z.jpg

Can anybody reccomend a sharpening method for someone who has never done so before ?

Quick & easy - especially if you have quite a few knives.

Belt Sander (get it during a sale)

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-inch-x-30-inch-belt-sander-2485.html

Get the sanding belts and a leather belt (strop)

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=48040&cat=1,43072

I could explain the process but there are plenty of youtube videos available.

Can anybody reccomend a sharpening method for someone who has never done so before ? I've had plenty of knives in the past, found one that I really really love to carry. Extremely light, good ergonomics and feel, when I first got it it was extremely sharp, but I've been really using and abusing it the past 3 months or so.

It's a Kershaw ken onion blade.

6858651813_0135edeea5_z.jpg

Spydero Sharpmaker. Very easy to use for a guy new to sharpening.

Belt sanders require a bit more skill to use and might be a bit much

for a guy starting out. Also it's a little over the top for a small pocket

knife unless you have several you need sharpened regularly.

http://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-Tri-Angle-Sharpmaker-Sharpener-204MF/dp/B000Q9C4AE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329250242&sr=8-1

Just picked up one of these

yc569.jpg

2C:39-3. Prohibited Weapons and Devices.

e. Certain weapons. Any person who knowingly has in his possession any gravity knife, switchblade knife, dagger, dirk, stiletto, billy, blackjack, metal knuckle, sandclub, slingshot, cestus or similar leather band studded with metal filings or razor blades imbedded in wood, ballistic knife, without any explainable lawful purpose, is guilty of a crime of the fourth degree.

you might be rolling the dice by carrying that.. as a dagger by design with both edges sharpened... is set up to stab.. kind of hard to explain a lawful purpose for having a knife built around stabbing..

Unknown brand name. Strapped it to my light on duty because there's nowhere else to fit it ; )

A suitable knife until it's time to replace it with a 1259 short k-bar.

Unless your a firemen in Newark, Paterson or Camden you really don't need something like that no?

Unless your a firemen in Newark, Paterson or Camden you really don't need something like that no?

lol not really, but its not a SD knife.. It was more to have a straight blade that is accessible. Folders get lost in pockets and with turnout gloves it would be impossible to get to in a pinch. (Like if rope needs to get cut asap)

lol not really, but its not a SD knife.. It was more to have a straight blade that is accessible. Folders get lost in pockets and with turnout gloves it would be impossible to get to in a pinch. (Like if rope needs to get cut asap)

Ahhhhh, gotcha. my old man is a retired firefighter so I've seen some wacky set-ups with tools and lights and such.

you might be rolling the dice by carrying that.. as a dagger by design with both edges sharpened... is set up to stab.. kind of hard to explain a lawful purpose for having a knife built around stabbing..

No, the back edge isn't sharpened at all. There's a slight narrowing where the fake serrations are but I think it would have a hard time cutting hard butter with the back side of the knife. I wish it didn't have the fake serrations at all, but it's the only knife with what I wanted (partial serration, glass break, cutter on handle) that I could find that didn't have a bunch of crap on the handle or the blade.

http://www.hanzoswords.com/TAC-FORCE-SPEEDSTER-SPRING-ASSISTED-POCKET-KNIFE-RESCUE-TOOL-_p_990.html

No, the back edge isn't sharpened at all. There's a slight narrowing where the fake serrations are but I think it would have a hard time cutting hard butter with the back side of the knife. I wish it didn't have the fake serrations at all, but it's the only knife with what I wanted (partial serration, glass break, cutter on handle) that I could find that didn't have a bunch of crap on the handle or the blade.

http://www.hanzoswor...OOL-_p_990.html

if you are comfortable with it.. that is all that matters... due to the vague NJ knife laws I have always sided with a traditional knife.. a heavy strong larger knife.. but none the less a traditional knife.. I always had concerns that anything stylized as a weapon VS a tool would make articulating lawful use more difficult..

I will play. This is my current EDC, Emerson Mini Commander, toughest folder I have ever carried. This thing is brilliant, great edge, nice weight for cutting and control. Just a tad wide, but you cant complain to much.

Also, is a custom fighter from DL Knives. This was a group buy on The High Road a few years back. For each Knife sold, Don (of DL Knives) sent a knife to a random soldier in Afghanistan or Iraq. So I bought one. Great knife, but I just have not used it at all or can figure out where I will. I had it up for sale, but I am just going to keep it now.

I have a ton more... Maybe I will put together a group shot. There are some KaBars, Ontario, Benchmade, Wegner, Custom sheath knife ground from a file that is one of the nicest working knives I have ever carried, my Glock knives that are perfect survival tools, bunch of machetes from privet clearing in Georgia and some hand axes from Allan Foundry, grandsfor bruks forest axe and a Roselli hatchet.

post-1225-0-53436800-1329415229_thumb.jpg

post-1225-0-88440200-1329415244_thumb.jpg