Old Glock guy

Riots in the U.K.

Looks like a lot of people are going to look for defense items in the future in the UK.

Amazon UK sales spike up 6000%............items...........bats,nightsticks...

TOP Seller : Aluminum Baseball bat....

http://money.cnn.com/2011/08/09/technology/amazon_riot/

Goes to show that high surveillance countries aren't immune to massive, mindless civil unrest.

And you know it's bad when it cancels soccer matches.

In all seriousness, I hope all sides learn something from this incident, and that it isn't spun to further the Orwellian society over there.

In all seriousness, I hope all sides learn something from this incident, and that it isn't spun to further the Orwellian society over there.

Knowing the English, they will respond by banning bats, clubs, knives or anything else that could possibly be used as a weapon (or for self defense).

Why are they rioting?

Quote from the Wall Street Journal

"The violence began after last week's fatal shooting of a local man, Mark Duggan, by police in Tottenham, an ethnically mixed North London neighborhood. A peaceful protest over the death degenerated into mayhem that spread across the capital, even to some affluent areas."

Source: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111904007304576497323278044868.html?mod=WSJ_World_LeadStory

ETA: One thing that seems to be missing from that article, that I've seen mentioned in other articles, is that the "victim" was supposedly shooting at police when he was shot and killed.

ETA2: I may have misread a previous article - apparently there is no proof that the man was shooting at police, but a "non-police" gun was recovered at the scene.

"Police said Duggan was shot dead when officers from Operation Trident -- the unit that investigates gun crime in the black community -- stopped a cab he was riding in.

The Independent Police Complaints Commission, which is investigating the shooting, said a "non-police firearm" was recovered at the scene, but that there was no evidence it had been fired. An inquest into Duggan's death was opened Tuesday, but a full hearing will likely take several months."

Source: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/08/09/uk-prime-minister-recalls-parliament-to-deal-with-sickening-rioting-crisis/

If they're not going to commit and use plastic bullets, why not just give the cops the most powerful paintball guns available and turn the area into a free fire zone.

Very few of these looting peckerwoods would be tossing rocks after taking a few paintball shots to the face and body...maybe even losing an eye or two.

It also has the added bonus of marking these jagoffs so they can't disappear easily.

The news reported last night the police may start using plastic bullets. Plastic bullets?? Even the cops are a bunch of pussies over there.

No, the Cops are loathe to take any action at all because even if they do everything 10000% correct, and act under orders, they know they will be tossed not under the bus, but under the PAVEMENT under the bus to appease the mobs. This is what happens when Political Correctness becomes more important than your people doing their jobs.

• Like 3

I share the same sentiment as KPD. No matter what happens, there is no thin line or grey area for the law enforcement-- it's just all sorts of bad.

I do think the saving grace at this point is that the welfare of the people should be made the top priority. When you have shop owners and residents fending for themselves reminiscent of the Korean (and other immigrant) shop owners during '92, that's never a good sign of looking out for the welfare of the people. I cringe to say this, but I think that priority warrants enough justification to end this specific incident of rioting ASAP.

I cringe because yes, it is a slippery slope that I'm sure some politician somewhere would generalize and use this incident to justify increased "order" down the road :icon_rolleyes:

ETA: I forgot to add the caveat that I see this issue from a uniquely American perspective (like most of us). This is important because there are always [subtle] differences between cultures, even one as similar as the English. My sense of freedoms and ideals aren't necessarily applicable to the English, and it would be unfair to criticize them strictly based on my American ideals. Of course, universal truths are... well, universal.

I was under the impression that the vast majority of street cops in England did not carry guns. They got a freakin whistle and a billy club and THAT was IT.

I cant speak for the entire country but London Metro Police used to be 10% armed, which has now increased to 20%. the Airport Police Depts are ALL armed now IIRC, I believe the other urban areas run around the same 10-20% ratio of armed officers. I'm SURE things have changed but the usual practice was for armed officers to check out an MP-5 and a Revolver (IIRC S&W 3" Model 66) which then wenr into a locked box between the front seats of the Car. Tactical'Swat carried P-35s as a sidearm and were again armed generally with MP-5s, with other equipment avaialble as the situation dictated.

the next time any idiot tells you that lack of firearms equates to a peace loving utopia.. simply point to this little episode...

On a couple of other forums i've dealt with people from the UK, and their Anti-gun stances are kind of amusing..one proposed that they invade and FORCE us to give up our firearms. He wasn't amused when the only response he got from us Colonists was somewhat derisive laughter. The fact that the Murder rate and Firearms related crime rate has skyrocketed SINCE the ban went into effect is just completely denied, and anytime you cite sources, they treat it like a Democrat presented with something from Fox.

No, the Cops are loathe to take any action at all because even if they do everything 10000% correct, and act under orders, they know they will be tossed not under the bus, but under the PAVEMENT under the bus to appease the mobs. This is what happens when Political Correctness becomes more important than your people doing their jobs.

Political correctness, bunch of pussies, all the same.

• Like 1

On a couple of other forums i've dealt with people from the UK, and their Anti-gun stances are kind of amusing..one proposed that they invade and FORCE us to give up our firearms.

tell them they better bring a hell of a lot more than some rocks and bottles.. :sarcastichand:

I'm thinking, if this were to happen here does it make sense to fire 12-Gauge rubber buckshot and/or rubber slugs for rioters attempting to enter/destroy your home? Sort of on guard outside. Then transition to AR if they are armed. Surely you don't want to use lethal force but you don't want your property destroyed either. If they are armed then drop the shotgun then transition to AR.

I think its justified to use lethal force if they are considered arson or attempting to burn your home.

I'm thinking, if this were to happen here does it make sense to fire 12-Gauge rubber buckshot and/or rubber slugs for rioters attempting to enter/destroy your home? Sort of on guard outside. Then transition to AR if they are armed. Surely you don't want to use lethal force but you don't want your property destroyed either. If they are armed then drop the shotgun then transition to AR.

I think its justified to use lethal force if they are considered arson or attempting to burn your home.

Don't even give 'em grounds for a lawsuit later on - stop the threat to you and your loved ones first..... you don't give them a chance to keep continuing to harm you.

the next time any idiot tells you that lack of firearms equates to a peace loving utopia.. simply point to this little episode...

You can also look at every single other society that has remove the right of the citizens to protect themselves throughout history also.

Harry