hd2000fxdl

Homemade Target Stands

I have been tossing the idea around for setting up some practice stands in the Pits at the range I got to, basically practice for USPSA style shooting. I have seen what the stands cost and then I would have to buy wood sticks and targets, this could get costly and I really don't have the room to transport or time to setup a bunch or stuff. I rather spend my time shooting rather then setting up and breaking down, so something simple, cheap and easy to setup and break down.

So lets see some pic's or descriptions on what you may have come up with as cheap and easy alternative to production stands.

We can even see some ideas on Steel setup, holders, alternate sources to making your own targets.

Harry

I have been tossing the idea around for setting up some practice stands in the Pits at the range I got to, basically practice for USPSA style shooting. I have seen what the stands cost and then I would have to buy wood sticks and targets, this could get costly and I really don't have the room to transport or time to setup a bunch or stuff. I rather spend my time shooting rather then setting up and breaking down, so something simple, cheap and easy to setup and break down.

So lets see some pic's or descriptions on what you may have come up with as cheap and easy alternative to production stands.

We can even see some ideas on Steel setup, holders, alternate sources to making your own targets.

Harry

if you search Arfcom for Old Painless' site, i believe he has a target stand pattern out of 1 1/2" PVC pipe.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu24.htm

http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs29.htm

ETA: If you wanna buy something a little sturdier, these seem pretty good and should be pretty easy to set up and take down:

http://www.tuffsteel.com/store/agoracart55/agora.cgi?product=TARGETSTANDS

My range requires members to have their own stands for the rifle range. I have stands made of PVC that break down and are transported in a cloath rifle bag. I use clamps to secure plywood to the stand and staple the targets to the wood. It's an easy set up/break down and they fit well in the trunk of the sedan.

I made stands from PVC also, certainly nothing fancy. The bottoms are glued together, the two side posts slip in, the top brae ir glued together. I did this to make it easy to move and setup, and also if a piece somehow gets shot it is easy to replace in the field. I have cardboard that I zip-tie to the frame to staple the targets to. These are very cheap to make. Their biggest downfall is that they are so light the wind can knock them over! I take a 2x3 and lay it across the bottom of the two stands and that does the trick. I can take a picture if you want it. I may have $5 total into materials for each stand.

Yea am thinking I'll pick up some PVC and contractor packs of 90's and T's and make up a bunch. I was thinking about them being a little light and being knocked or blown over, I figure I'll combat that with a few holes drilled in them and pick up some gutter nails to lightly tack them to the ground to combat this.

I'll probably hold off on the glue on most parts to save space for transport, plus using gutter nails I should be able to keep them from working themselves loose. Also being loose I can set them up as singles doubles or more for easy changes depending on what I am doing.

Harry

Just got around to finishing this the other day, and saw this thread. So heres a crappy cell phone pic of what I put together. I used 1 1/4" PVC, and 1"x2" lumber. The wood fits quite snug, I plan on drilling holes also for stakes or gutter nails like hd2000fxdl is planning. Heres the pic.

6041867493_0dc42ffb65_z.jpg

I like that, a lot less 1 1/5 tube material needed and the same 2 90's and still 2 T's only, How is the balance of the stand with the staggered opposing supports, is it good enough or do you think 4-way connectors to replace the T's might be better for dual supports front and back?

Also to eliminate dirt getting in I was planning on using end caps, that and there wouldn't be any height difference from the ends with connectors on the center tube to the ends, I figure a little less wobble. You thoughts?

Harry

So far it seems pretty well balanced. I haven't used it at the range yet so i'll have to give you an update after that. Like I said I will probably drill a couple of holes through the two supports just to give it a little added stability, especially on windy days. I originally was going to use 4-ways, but they didn't have them in stock so I thought putting the T's in opposite directions might work. As far as the caps, I don't know if it would make it any more stable, I just pushed the ends down to make contact with the ground. I'm gonna try this setup out before I go buying more supplies, i'll let you know how it works out.

My base is made up of two T's and 4 90's, it is a square about 2' by 2'. My side posts are about 4 feet tall, connected at the top with two more 90's and a cross bar.

I have the bottom glued together so it is easy to transport. The two side posts get slid-in when I set it up at the range. I'll try to get some pictures if it stops raining.

Harry

Here is just another idea. As usual it has +'s and -'s. On some days the wind at Dix 14 will blow your target and you into the dirt pile. So this stuff is heavy but you will become big and strong hauling it out to 200. I even had to add xtra weight wood inside the frame.

Basically the base is a 30" home made pallet. Two sticks and fiberboard with clothes pins mount your cardboard target. The cross piece lets you hang bottles, clays or whatever you want to destroy. This rig lasts many many range trips. Hang your stuff with duct tape, string - keep it simple.

That's it.

I made a bunch of "H"-type PVC target stands for when I practice IDPA and HD situations in the pits at my outdoor range. They are super easy to make and cost about $10 to make. All you need is PVC, some caps, and PVC glue and your good to go. I got the basic idea from The Box Of Truth which someone posted the link above.

Sure as hell beats the steel stands that are like $40+.

I have a hand-me-down set of three stands bought from World Class Steel that simply stack together for storage & transport. On a calm day they're "heavy enough" to not require additional stabilization. They must be 8 years old at least, and they're still in great shape!

Dave

My first attempt at a home made stand. 2" PVC w/2" cast elbows for weight. PVC is connected to the cast elbows via 2" threaded male adapters. The uprights are not glued in so I can take them out and store the frame under my work bench.

stand.jpg

I also used 2" PVC, but made the base larger. Used 7 pieces, each 16" long, two 90's, two caps, thwo threaded collars and two T's with the vertical outlet threaded. The base was made in a U shape. The two other 16" pieces became the uprights with the threaded collars glued to them. That way the base is relatively flat and you can screw-in the uprights at the range. I chose to use 2" rather than 1.5" (as recommended on some of the Internet sites I looked at), because 1"x2" firring strips fit in the uprights with no modification. And the 16"+ uprights don't allow for a lot of play in the wooden legs. If you use 1.5" PVC, it requires that you whittle down the wooden legs to get them to fit.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

My first attempt at a home made stand. 2" PVC w/2" cast elbows for weight. PVC is connected to the cast elbows via 2" threaded male adapters. The uprights are not glued in so I can take them out and store the frame under my work bench.

stand.jpg

That is like mine, but yours is more complicated. I forwent the elbow joints and didn't bother connecting the two sides. It is less stable though, but there is always the option of doing something like filling it with sand or something. It also works better with uneven ground, but I like this concept. If only I knew what I did with it...

That is like mine, but yours is more complicated. I forwent the elbow joints and didn't bother connecting the two sides. It is less stable though, but there is always the option of doing something like filling it with sand or something. It also works better with uneven ground, but I like this concept. If only I knew what I did with it...

Yea this was my first attempt...the "prototype" if you will. I'll see how long this lasts, tweak things as I go lol. Commented on the sand below.

it would be good idea to fill the base with sand.

Was gonna do that, my buddy has his filled with sand and still tops over with a little wind. Somehow I would find a way to crack the pvc and leave a sand trail lol.

you could have filled the pipes with concrete for about $6 and used regular pvc elbows...

Thats another idea as well. I try to stay away from cement, unless I need to make a pair of shoes ;)