Krdshrk

Old Bridge Zombie 3 Gun

Today was rough, didn't have my heart in it. The GP75 was not feeding ammo. Wouldn't feed from my magazines at all, either the round was being passed over or it was being pushed upward into the bullet guide. The 1911 is new to me so that was my fault. The magwell is beveled and I couldn't set the magazine all the way home. I also had an issue with Magtech hollow points where the casing was stuck in the chamber. The RO had to put the front sight on the bench and press down to eject the round. I gave that ammo away to a reloader to be taken apart.

Nice to see the other members that I'm used to shooting wit and nice to see the new faces get involved with shooting like this.

thanks Ray for lending me the GOOD AK of yours.

Today was rough, didn't have my heart in it. The GP75 was not feeding ammo. Wouldn't feed from my magazines at all, either the round was being passed over or it was being pushed upward into the bullet guide. The 1911 is new to me so that was my fault. The magwell is beveled and I couldn't set the magazine all the way home. I also had an issue with Magtech hollow points where the casing was stuck in the chamber. The RO had to put the front sight on the bench and press down to eject the round. I gave that ammo away to a reloader to be taken apart.

Nice to see the other members that I'm used to shooting wit and nice to see the new faces get involved with shooting like this.

i wasnt impressed with the safety officer my group had. he was very cocky, and loved giving out 'procedurals' for not using cover; yet first thing he said on the first stage was, and i quote, 'dont worry about reloading from cover, zombies dont shoot back anyway. this is for fun not a competition.' yet he was giving them out left and right. and if you want to be that strict about using cover, then you have to call it concealment, not cover. anything can easily shoot through the door frame, barrel, or fence.

Do you know who your RO was? It wasn't John the match director, was it? Cameron from GAPP was the main RO for our group and he was very lenient because almost everyone on our squad was a new shooter. The only experienced ones were Cameron, Myself, and 1 other guy.

I know that his RO wasn't John, because I had John. I don't think a single person in my squad ever got a procedural. If someone was out in the open, they'd say "cover" to remind us, or if we weren't moving when we should have been etc. they would remind us.....but nobody that I know of was issued a procedural.

so having shot the 3gun match, how do you guys feel about the rig you currently have?

Just a general question to the attendees.

Also will you shoot more 3gun matches?

I need an AK rig, can't keep borrowing Nicks Chicom.

I would like to shoot more 3 gun, but not a fan of the rules they had.

I need an AK rig, can't keep borrowing Nicks Chicom.

I would like to shoot more 3 gun, but not a fan of the rules they had.

the rules vary somewhat from IDPA, USPSA, and outlaw 3gun matches.

You need to shoot some more matches and figure out which one you like best.

Regardless of the rules, it is trigger time.

so having shot the 3gun match, how do you guys feel about the rig you currently have?

I learned that, despite never needing to reload more than 6 shotgun shells in a single stage, a side saddle is really not an ideal method for holding additional ammo [for me]. I figured it'd work fine since the ammo is so close to the gun, but I found that I really had to snatch out the ammo to get it free with any sort of speed and that generally left my hand more out of position than if I had just been reaching for a holder on my belt.

Coupled 15/20rd Pmags worked pretty well in their debut though. Sped up reloads and I only forgot about it and let them drop free on the first stage where I used them, which just so happened to be a sitting stage so they didn't fall far.

I also continue to be struck by how much of a flamethrower my AR is for some reason. First I thought it was the ammo. Then I thought it was the fact that I don't have any kind of comp or break. Now I have no idea what it is, but by the last stage my group would make it a point of asking anyone if they had a cigar they needed lit when I would pull out my rifle :icon_lol:

Ronny - since this was a Zombie "Fun" 3 gun, the rules for rigs were a bit different. We could run tactical gear, etc however we wanted - the only rule was that holsters have to be strong side hip or thigh. Don't normal 3 gun rules require you to have everything belt mounted?

I would like to try some more traditional 3gun stuff, however, I'd need to get new gear.

Another issue was the some head shots where marked as misses. I couldn't see the "ring" on the zombie head as it was a faint color and even if you got up close it was still hard to see. The next match should do away with the ring and just go with the head.

Ronny - since this was a Zombie "Fun" 3 gun, the rules for rigs were a bit different. We could run tactical gear, etc however we wanted - the only rule was that holsters have to be strong side hip or thigh. Don't normal 3 gun rules require you to have everything belt mounted?

I would like to try some more traditional 3gun stuff, however, I'd need to get new gear.

I cant of the top of my head tell you the exact rules in USPSA, but I have seen at matches people wear all kinds of gear.

Belt, thigh, chest, molle, full deployment gear, whatever works for that particular shooter.

You can run whatever you want.

But you tend to see certain setups used by top 3gun shooters.

I learned that, despite never needing to reload more than 6 shotgun shells in a single stage, a side saddle is really not an ideal method for holding additional ammo [for me]. I figured it'd work fine since the ammo is so close to the gun, but I found that I really had to snatch out the ammo to get it free with any sort of speed and that generally left my hand more out of position than if I had just been reaching for a holder on my belt.

Coupled 15/20rd Pmags worked pretty well in their debut though. Sped up reloads and I only forgot about it and let them drop free on the first stage where I used them, which just so happened to be a sitting stage so they didn't fall far.

I also continue to be struck by how much of a flamethrower my AR is for some reason. First I thought it was the ammo. Then I thought it was the fact that I don't have any kind of comp or break. Now I have no idea what it is, but by the last stage my group would make it a point of asking anyone if they had a cigar they needed lit when I would pull out my rifle :icon_lol:

If you shoot other matches or a shotgun only match you WILL reload more than 6 rounds per stage.

The biggest thing I noticed was total inconsistencies between RO's in how they ran each stage. Each one of them interpreted the course description differently based on their own experiences (preferences?) and as a result, there's no real way to compare times between each of the teams. As EchoMirage said, our guy was a real hard a**, calling out procedurals left and right. I also happened to notice that he wasn't at the actual intro/safety talk where the guy who ran the match (don't know his name) laid down the rules, or lack thereof, when it came to accuracy. He was wheeling his gun stroller over from the parking lot.

The very first stage we shot he was awarding credit for shots within the ring only, until his turn to shoot, and I "reminded" him that the head guy said that RO's should award credit for anything resembling a headshot, "even if it catches a wisp of hair," and it gave him a couple extra points, so from then on, we used the total head as an acceptable target area.

I'd like to definitely shoot more of these 3 gun matches. I also need to get my own rifle, stat. Big thanks to Krdshrk for lending me his SKS. I think whatever I buy (leaning towards a Saiga) will most certainly be detachable magazine fed and have nothing to do with stripper clips at all.

For anyone who's considering shooting one of these in the future, I think it would have been really beneficial to find a rule book and read through it first. I got called on TONS of procedurals (pretty much at least one for every stage that involved movement).

Another issue was the some head shots where marked as misses. I couldn't see the "ring" on the zombie head as it was a faint color and even if you got up close it was still hard to see. The next match should do away with the ring and just go with the head.

I don't like targets without a clearly defined scoring area.

the Zombie targets suck because you can't see your hit.

The biggest thing I noticed was total inconsistencies between RO's in how they ran each stage. Each one of them interpreted the course description differently based on their own experiences (preferences?) and as a result, there's no real way to compare times between each of the teams. As EchoMirage said, our guy was a real hard a**, calling out procedurals left and right. I also happened to notice that he wasn't at the actual intro/safety talk where the guy who ran the match (don't know his name) laid down the rules, or lack thereof, when it came to accuracy. He was wheeling his gun stroller over from the parking lot.

The very first stage we shot he was awarding credit for shots within the ring only, until his turn to shoot, and I "reminded" him that the head guy said that RO's should award credit for anything resembling a headshot, "even if it catches a wisp of hair," and it gave him a couple extra points, so from then on, we used the total head as an acceptable target area.

I'd like to definitely shoot more of these 3 gun matches. I also need to get my own rifle, stat. Big thanks to Krdshrk for lending me his SKS. I think whatever I buy (leaning towards a Saiga) will most certainly be detachable magazine fed and have nothing to do with stripper clips at all.

For anyone who's considering shooting one of these in the future, I think it would have been really beneficial to find a rule book and read through it first. I got called on TONS of procedurals (pretty much at least one for every stage that involved movement).

The issues with the RO could have been taken care of if someone would have brought this to the attention of the match director.

Having your own equipment is a big plus. It sucks using someone's gear, regardless of how good aor bad it is.

It is also extremely important (for me at least) to have reliable equipment.

Rather lose the match to penalties than to equipment malfunctions.

Yeah - the scoring area wasn't defined, however during the walkthrough, John stated that the scoring area was the ONLY area that could be scored. Everything else outside, even if it was a headshot, did not count. If it was barely touching the scoring area or just barely outside, he said to give it to you.

If it's a "headshot" and it's on the ear or the very top of the head, it wouldn't put down a zombie, so why should it count?

And no - you couldn't see your hits unless you were very close. I made a few follow-up shots on some targets because as I got closer I could see I was low/etc.

My AR worked great for this match. I need to work on my shotgun - I need a new stock :p

I had to be shooting in the same group as you and we may be tied with the "Procedurals"!

I read the sheet with Matt and we followed the instructions, yet were called-out for a Procedural. Didn't bother me, I still got to shoot at stuff!

The rules weren't always clear. I have shot matches there before where we were allowed to drop mags at anytime for any reason and put fresh loads in. I was called-out for doing that. Again, I don't care, I was just there to have fun. No one had any money on the line.................

I did see a few people sweep themselves with their handguns and that wasn't called-out. Not my leg or arm in the line of fire, but still, they should have been told what they did wrong. I guess if the RO doesn't see it then they sorta got "lucky".

The rules weren't always clear. I have shot matches there before where we were allowed to drop mags at anytime for any reason and put fresh loads in. I was called-out for doing that.

Sounds like your RO completely missed the briefing then - that's bad. You were allowed to drop mags. Of course the only time I was really reloading was when my mags were completely empty. By STANDARD IDPA rules, you are not allowed to drop mags with bullets still in them. We weren't going by normal IDPA rules yesterday.

might have been a john or tom. short, slim, older. close cropped blondish hair. ill also add that he assumed everyone had done idpa or whatever before. not once did he first go over the order of fire on targets.......only AFTER did someone shoot the wrong order, did he then say 'youre supposed to go left-right' or what have you.

several times he said 'there are so many procedurals i dont know where to begin'.

i was not there so I can't give you first hand experience from the day, but SOP is that the RO's should have been briefed on the rules for the day.

So that ALL the RO's would have been on the same page and asses penalties when necessary.

Also regardless of the match, if you sweep yourself it should be a DQ.