blur1221

Suggestions on first handgun

My wife and I decided we would like to get a handgun for home protection now that we have kids (and a good gun safe) any suggestions on where to start, not looking to spend a fortune, and do we have to take a course or just apply for a permit? Thanks and sorry for the noob question! Gotta start somewhere.

There isn't one good answer to that question. Your best bet would be to go to Shore Shot. The rent handguns of all kinds and all of the popular handgun calibers. Start there. See what fits your hand and what you find easiest to operate. And it gets said all the time on this forum, try before you buy.

Thanks and sorry for the noob question! Gotta start somewhere.

I like noob questions. I might actually be able to answer some of those. Also as someone else who started off asking questions like that on this site I gotta say this is a pretty good "somewhere" to get started.

Assuming you don't already have a Firearms ID card, you need that as well.

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/10721-process-to-apply-for-handgun-permits-and-fid/

^thats a thread for how to apply for FID and pistol purchase permits.

basically you fill out an application and bring it to your local police department. every PD is different so you have them lead you from there. theres rules and guidelines but they like to walk all over those. for example you must be approved or denied within 30 days. good luck with that. took me 365. an exact year to the day. so pretty much your PD should help you til you have the permits in your hands. however long that may take.

Now picking the right one is all personal preference and all on you. As someone said going to a store and feeling how comfortable some are is important, and places that have some for rent so you can actually fire before you buy are even better. If your main purpose is for home defense you're going to hear that .45 ACP is a round that you should be interested in. It is bigger than 9mm, however you can still argue that 9mm is still a freaking bullet it's still going to hurt, but then counter argue that 45 is bigger and will put a bad guy down faster. blah that debate goes on forever and all it comes down to is your person preference. So again the best way to decide which gun is best for you is to shoot multiple kinds until you find what you like the best.

and safes are pretty much everywhere. local gun shops probably have a few in stock. dicks sporting goods will probably have a nice selection. hell theres even amazon.com

As someone suggested, go to Shore Shot and rent some different guns. Do you want a revolver or pistol? A ruger GP100 4" revolver is a great gun to start with. 9mm or 38SP is a good starting round and fine for home protection.

A revolver is great for home defense, especially if you're not that gun savy yet. Just point and pull trigger. A pistol may be a little more complicated to a beginner because of safties and knowing how to clear a jam or failure to feed.

When looking at revolvers, don't be lulled into choosing a snubnose/compact because of their size. Those small revolvers require much more practice and are harder to use effectively than the larger ones because of their shorter sight radius, heavier recoil (because they are lighter), and because they usually have cruder sights than full size models. Your best best is a barrel length between 4 and 6 inches. Any longer than that and maneuverability begins to suffer.

You can start by shooting 38 special in the 357 revolvers (they accept 38 special amd 357 magnum). These have little recoil amd report, and won't instantly make your wife never want to shoot again. In time you can work your way up to 357 magnum.

Like others have said, you will not go wrong with a S&W 686 or Ruger GP100. Try them both and see which you like better.

First step, go down to the PD and get the process started! Apply for a FPID and a couple of permits each. The time it takes to get A FPID and permits varies from town to town, but will take more than a month.

Once the paperwork, is in head down to Shore Shot with your wife and each of you try out what interests you.

I don't know if you and your wife have taken a class, but a Basic pistol or Pistol First Steps class are good to take.

Read read read. Lots of info on this site and others on the application process.

In the mean time while waiting for the FID/PP to get approved, go rent lots of gun or tag along with someone to the range that owns a few guns. Always try before you buy!

9mm is a good round if going semi-auto. Less expensive and much easier to handle (recoil wise)

Two things to remember:

1) A $10,000 custom race pistol can still jam, and the bullet from a $50 single-shot .410 shotgun can still be lethal. Everything else in between can also occur, with varying degrees of probability.

2) Any gun you choose is better than the one you have now.

Other than that, it's your decision, so get what you like, make time to practice, have fun, and for your sanity, don't get too bogged down with Internet information overload.

I would start by going to your local PD and get the paperwork started. You will have plenty of time to look/ test guns out while the paperwork is getting done.

You do not need a class to get the firearms id card's. You will need to get fingerprinted and that is done by appointment. Get the paperwork and get the ducks lined up.

Then go to a range that rents firearms, explain that you are new to shooting and see what you like. Every hand is different and what works for me, may not work for you.

As said before, don't be lured into smaller guns. The longer guns are easier to shoot and have less recoil. Shoot different calibers i.e. 9mm, 40 s&w and 45acp. I started on 40 s&w which is a lil snappy but it was what I wanted.

I suggest after you get your id cards and your purchase permits for your pistol's that you call one of the trainers on the forum, such as Gun For Hire. Explain that your new and take a first steps class. This will help you in the end. Having a lot of guns is useless if you don't know how to use them or don't train yourself correctly. Training is more important than anything else.

Good luck, this is the fun part, but be careful. Owning guns is somewhat costly and addicting. It's like getting a tattoo, once you get the first, your looking at the second. lol

Also, the ffl/ dealers on this forum are great and I highly suggest you use the price request form when looking at purchasing. It will save you a few bucks and help out the local guys that support the sprot of shooting.

My wife and I decided we would like to get a handgun for home protection now that we have kids (and a good gun safe) any suggestions on where to start, not looking to spend a fortune, and do we have to take a course or just apply for a permit? Thanks and sorry for the noob question! Gotta start somewhere.

Welcome to the forum.

What town do you live in? This could make a difference in selecting the gun shop to use for your evaluation.

If you are close to Cherry Hill, Fort Dix, or Philadelphia I would be more than happy to meet you and your wife at a range and go over some basics. PM me if you are interested.

I would suggest that you and you wife both apply for permits. One gun can become two, and two can become "oh, I want that one as well, it's cute" very easily.

I would look at a 9mm semi-auto first. It fires cheap ammo and does a good enough job at stopping a threat.

My suggestion on a gun is that you simply can't go wrong with a Glock 19, Sig P226 or Beretta 92FS. All of them are available in 9mm and they run you anywhere between $400 used and $700 new. Try them all, have your wife try them all. If she doesn't have the strength to rack the slide on the gun the you both like, then it is time to look at a revolver.

For revolvers, I would suggest a .38 Special or a .357 Magnum (which can accept .38 Special cartridges) with at least a 4" barrel. I would suggest sticking with a Ruger GP100 or Smith and Wesson 686. You can find used models between $400 and $700 although .38 Special ammunition is a little more expensive than 9mm.

Congratulations on taking the first steps. Be safe. Be responsible.

thanks guys, I live in somerville for those who asked, going to head down to the PD on monday and get the paperwork started.

For you guys who cautioned about getting addicted lol, i own a paintball store (very different i know) but i see the same with people getting 20 markers etc, and again yes i know pb is wayyy different.

i hadn't thought of a revolver, thanks for the suggestion i will defiantly try one when i can get over to a shop/range.

thanks guys, I live in somerville for those who asked, going to head down to the PD on monday and get the paperwork started.

For you guys who cautioned about getting addicted lol, i own a paintball store (very different i know) but i see the same with people getting 20 markers etc, and again yes i know pb is wayyy different.

i hadn't thought of a revolver, thanks for the suggestion i will defiantly try one when i can get over to a shop/range.

I need a good Paintball shop. I live not too far away In hillsborough.

Anyway. I just started too. I took a basic pistol course with Joe W at phillipsburg pistol club. It was a great way to get me and my gfs confidence up before owning. We went from a .22 toa 9mm to a .45 our first time.

As for buying one, everyone is right. It all comes to what you feel comfortable with in terms of feel, grip, caliber, weight etc.

Best home defense weapon imo is a 12g shotgun. Just point and shoot. Close is good enough for you or your wife.

I use my pistol purely for recreation :)

I might be able to help you on the "wife" end of it. BTW, if you live in the del. valley area near Philly, you might want to try Ready Aim Fire shooting range in Bristol PA. Its just over the Bulington/Bristol bridge and you can rent most any handgun there. Now with that out of the way, I just took my wife to purchase her first handgun. We spent about 3+ hours there looking at every gun. She tried everything! From small revolvers to big semi's. Long story short, she ended up with a Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm. She chose this for a few reasons. Its light. Its easy to manipulate at the controls. Its ambidextrous, (controls on both sides of the gun, we are both leftys so thats always a plus). 9mm is a good overall caliber. Its cheap, has low recoil, and with some home defense/hollow point type rounds, very deadly without over penetration through walls and such. The number one reason she got it is because the M&P has a neat feature. If the magazine is not inserted into the gun, it WILL NOT fire. I liked this because my wife isnt too great with racking the slide. With this feature, you can leave a bullet chambered and it wont fire until you insert the mag. I think of think in terms of "what if". In and SHTF situation, no matter how many times i take her to the range, I dont expect her to go through all the motions in 10seconds or less. This way, all she has to do is grab the gun and slide in the mag and shes ready to go. (btw, the trigger also has a feature on it to lesson the chance of it being fired by the small hands of children) I really thought she would like the revolver, cant get much easier than that, but she couldnt even pull the trigger in double action on most of them.

Good luck on you purchase no matter what you choose. Remember its always a good idea to seek professional help when it comes to shooting for the first time. There are lots of variables to think about.

-> kdshrk - no airsoft just pb, there's a big airsoft shop around the corner so I don't want to compete.

-> checker50 - well you can always check out my stuff

Www.rushproductstoyou.com

I'm the largest retailer on eBay of used pb gear, I sell new as well though.

I'll have to look up the club in pburg, my wifes grandmother lives there, go visit the shoot some off!

Hope you don't mean godfather airsoft. They royally f'ed up my Paintball gun when I took it there last year. Ill check your stuff out for sure.

If you want pm me and ill give you the info for Joe to take his course. Was only like 125 or so

PPC seemed to be a real nice club. Liked it there but its far for me. If the club in Bridgewater doesn't pan out I will definatley join PPC

well not sure yet, its going to be a balance of feel + price - expensive.

i don't think its going to be a recreational thing , just really going to sit in the safe 99% of the time so i don't want to have to sell the farm on the purchase. i have twin 1 year olds so spare time = 0

well not sure yet, its going to be a balance of feel + price - expensive.

i don't think its going to be a recreational thing , just really going to sit in the safe 99% of the time so i don't want to have to sell the farm on the purchase. i have twin 1 year olds so spare time = 0

Good luck with that :lol:

I'd be happy to show you and the wife some basics at my range in Bridgewater.

Yikes God bless your poor soul haha.

I would go for a revolver or a shotgun for you. You pull the trigger they go boom. I wouldn't say the better revolvers are any less expensive than semi auto's though. Maybe find a nice Ruger or S&W used.

A 9mm semi-automatic like the Glock 19 would be a good choice. You can use it for both target practice and home protection. Taking a gun safety class (NRA handgun, etc.) is recommeded.

While I do have a G19 and I think it''s a very good gun and would recommend it to anyone I will always say, don't chose a gun on a recommendation, hold it, shoot it first and try others in the same caliber before you make your final decision.

Harry

While I do have a G19 and I think it''s a very good gun and would recommend it to anyone I will always say, don't chose a gun on a recommendation, hold it, shoot it first and try others in the same caliber before you make your final decision.

Harry

The recommendation was for caliber and weapon type ( 9mm semi-automatic ). 9mm is softer recoiling in comparision to 40 S&W and 45 ACP and is cheaper to shoot. If possible, "test drive the weapon" and see if you like it. Nothing worse then spending hundreds of dollars on gun you cant shoot worth a crap or have difficulty in operating its controls (decocking lever, manual safety, etc.)