BierGut

Time Period You Guys Have Been Seeing...

Just curious what you guys have been seeing with regard to time for hand gun permits to come in? Seems it's getting longer and longer.

I applied the first week of June with the NJSP, followed up the first week of September after not hearing a peep from my references... was told somewhat rudely I was in the system and being processed, but to date -- my refs have not been contacted nor has my $2 check been cashed.

Anyone else seeing longer wait periods?

Cant say I am seeing longer waits, Woodbridge is 3 months to the day for every permit.

Maybe try paying with a money order instead of check, maybe they wait to send the check out, wait for it to clear, and then start the paper work, but who knows.

Just curious what you guys have been seeing with regard to time for hand gun permits to come in? Seems it's getting longer and longer.

I applied the first week of June with the NJSP, followed up the first week of September after not hearing a peep from my references... was told somewhat rudely I was in the system and being processed, but to date -- my refs have not been contacted nor has my $2 check been cashed.

Anyone else seeing longer wait periods?

I would call the NJSP firearms unit and explain how long you have been waiting and explain that you KNOW it doesn't take 3 months to run a background check could they PLEASE look into this for you and then tell them the barracks etc.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease. The quiet polite wheel gets ignored despite what the quiet polite wheel thinks about how they "might" delay its permits.

some of the current and former LEO's on the forum can tell you how long it REALLY takes to run a background check. I had an FBI check done in hours, to work on the FBI's premises. You can be sure criminal checks take no longer than a day and non-criminal no longer than three days which is WELL within the 30 day law.

I would call the NJSP firearms unit and explain how long you have been waiting and explain that you KNOW it doesn't take 3 months to run a background check could they PLEASE look into this for you and then tell them the barracks etc.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease. The quiet polite wheel gets ignored despite what the quiet polite wheel thinks about how they "might" delay its permits.

some of the current and former LEO's on the forum can tell you how long it REALLY takes to run a background check. I had an FBI check done in hours, to work on the FBI's premises. You can be sure criminal checks take no longer than a day and non-criminal no longer than three days which is WELL within the 30 day law.

yes...and No... Many Criminal checks go quick Because they are for Clearances or LE employment, Or, it's for someone in custody at the time..others take a while, and NJSP isn't as quick as you might think. We JUST got a hit back on a latent that was submitted in 1996 (no, that is NOT a typo) from a Burglary.... Guy is getting his charges 15 years later. Mutt has Nine..NINE Felony Convictions and he's out on the street.

Cant say I am seeing longer waits, Woodbridge is 3 months to the day for every permit.

Maybe try paying with a money order instead of check, maybe they wait to send the check out, wait for it to clear, and then start the paper work, but who knows.

Everytime I apply in Woodbridge the wait is 3 weeks. Not 3 months!

yes...and No... Many Criminal checks go quick Because they are for Clearances or LE employment, Or, it's for someone in custody at the time..others take a while, and NJSP isn't as quick as you might think. We JUST got a hit back on a latent that was submitted in 1996 (no, that is NOT a typo) from a Burglary.... Guy is getting his charges 15 years later. Mutt has Nine..NINE Felony Convictions and he's out on the street.

What's the statute of limitations on burglary?

Good thought and I have done this... left a message... it doesn't appear anyone likes answering the telephone down there. I'll let you know what I am told once I speak with someone in the department.

Really ?!?!?

Im on my 6th handgun permit. 3 weeks has never happened! The police chief your brother in law or something ?

Last permits took exactly 3 weeks. Woodbridge does not have a police chief anymore. He retired and his spot is being filled by retired cops. If you are having a problem call the permit office and speak to Mary to find out the delay. She has always been upfront with me.

Sayreville here and each of the last 3 times it was right around the 30 day mark. It may take longer for some but I always check on my references and make sure they get the letter and return it and I also call the department at 2 weeks and 3 weeks in to see if there is anything that can hold up the process. I have averted problems each of the 3 times. I say calling and seeing how things are going and if there is anything I can do to help has assisted me in getting my P2P's.

Harry

Good thought and I have done this... left a message... it doesn't appear anyone likes answering the telephone down there. I'll let you know what I am told once I speak with someone in the department.

I might as well be talking to a wall... two calls down to Trenton, another to the local barracks and ZERO call backs. I really don't want the added expense of having to get an attorney involved, but when do you decide to take that kind of step? After 5 months? 6 months?

Sooooo frustrating.

I might as well be talking to a wall... two calls down to Trenton, another to the local barracks and ZERO call backs. I really don't want the added expense of having to get an attorney involved, but when do you decide to take that kind of step? After 5 months? 6 months?

Sooooo frustrating.

It is not impossible to get people on the phone down in Trenton. I have called several times on clarifications about legality/illegality on shotguns and rifles. I found them to be very helpful. Don't limit yourself to talking to one person there. Try to get anyone in the firearms department.