matt6669

It's time to be a TOURIST!!

So first off I will say that I hate the city and the g/f also hates the city. But being that she's from Florida and has never been to NYC, while she's here during Thanksgiving we are going to take a day trip into the city. So seeing as I know next to nothing about the city, give me some ideas of what we could accomplish in a day trip to the city.

Also keeping it simple stupid would be a huge plus. So if we can accomplish 3 or 4 things in one area that would be a huge plus.

Let me know what you got!

PS NO I am not going into the city Thursday morning for the Thanksgiving parade so don't suggest it :p

Midtown is the place to be. I work on 5th ave. You've got stores up and down the block she'd love to hit from the Apple store and FAO Schwarz, to Versace, Uni Qlo, etc. You can hit up Rockefeller Center and see the tree, skate at the rink, take a pic with the Atlas. Radio City music hall is just on the other side of the block from Rockefeller Center (on 6th ave).

Get some awesome Halal food (I recommend the lamb & chicken over rice) from the food carts at 53rd & 5th (either side of the street).

The Museum of Modern Art is right there on 53rd as well.

From there you can walk a few blocks up to Central park and hit up the Zoo.

Hop on a bus (or subway) uptown and hit up the Met (Metropolitan Museum of Art).

Then head down to Times Square. Hit up a broadway show. Avenue Q is good. Wicked is really popular so discounted tickets are hard to get. Avoid Spider Man.

park in jersey shitty and take a ferry into the city.

it's very scenic and it's better than driving in the city especially if you don't know where you're going .

You can also park in SI. The SI ferry goes right past the Statue of Liberty, great view as long as it is nice out. Not sure what you see from the Jersey ferry's possibly the same thing. SI ferry is free and you can hop on the 1 uptown and transfer to 2/3 for express.

That was my original thought Frankie. It's either Weehawken, or I'll go park at NJIT, and go from Penn Newark to Penn NYC and branch out from there.

Ferry with parking is a little pricey(everytime ya buy a gun from me ya tell me you're a starving college kid).

But as far as convenience that may be the way to go.

Lol - the cruise you have linked doesn't run right now....

Linked the wrong one, i have did the semi circle with friends several times........................................he did say he didn`t like New York pardon.gif

http://www.circleline42.com/new-york-cruises/browse.aspx?type=&productid=2

10am and 4pm

Especially if it's her first time in NYC,Midtown is the place to be. I find the easiest way is to park at Journal Square.{$8.00 for the day} and take the path to 33'th street and wear comfortable shoes.

Hit Macy's and then continue on 34'th street to the Empire State Building,after head up 5'th Avenue all the way to Central park south.

Attractions will include not only Macy's but H&M,Uniglo,Tiffany's,Cartier,Sachs,Lord and Taylor ect.Lincoln Center,Saint Patrick's, then on to the park.

Times square is an easy walk in the 40's away and a must to see but not linger..too crowded and hokey.

Meals are expensive in and around midtown but stray off the beaten path and there are some great little bars and restaurants or if you're feeling adventurous, hit K Town on 32'nd for great Korean Food.

Enjoy and tell us how it went.

Downtown, there is the world trade center, the bull (everybody has to see the bull), Wall St and the Market Area, there is a museum right there also (might be an art museum and also museum of American Indian is right by the bowling green 4,5,6 train entrance. The Seaport is also right there. The Statue of Liberty is close by.

My advise is getting a day pass for the trains. Not sure what they cost.

Personally I prefer downtown, but that ie because I aNy to avoid tourist areas.

Ferry from weehawken is a win. Wicked is totally wicked show. Ice skate, kiss, photo. Then go to ruths Chris in weehawken for dinner with a view of the city.

Especially if it's her first time in NYC,Midtown is the place to be. I find the easiest way is to park at Journal Square.{$8.00 for the day} and take the path to 33'th street and wear comfortable shoes.

Hit Macy's and then continue on 34'th street to the Empire State Building,after head up 5'th Avenue all the way to Central park south.

Attractions will include not only Macy's but H&M,Uniglo,Tiffany's,Cartier,Sachs,Lord and Taylor ect.Lincoln Center,Saint Patrick's, then on to the park.

Times square is an easy walk in the 40's away and a must to see but not linger..too crowded and hokey.

Meals are expensive in and around midtown but stray off the beaten path and there are some great little bars and restaurants or if you're feeling adventurous, hit K Town on 32'nd for great Korean Food.

Enjoy and tell us how it went.

I agree that I would hit Midtown first and got downtown later in the day if time permitted.

Personally I prefer downtown, but that ie because I aNy to avoid tourist areas.

Ferry from weehawken is a win. Wicked is totally wicked show. Ice skate, kiss, photo. Then go to ruths Chris in weehawken for dinner with a view of the city.

Ruth Chris is nice. Kristen and I + friedns saw South Pacific a few years ago and ate at Quality Meats. It was in the 50's I think. Nice place, parking lot right acorss the street. Not for the price shopper though.

Ruth Chris is nice. Kristen and I + friedns saw South Pacific a few years ago and ate at Quality Meats. It was in the 50's I think. Nice place, parking lot right acorss the street. Not for the price shopper though.

For a traditional steak house experience without breaking the bank at Lugers in Brooklyn,next time try Wolfgangs on Park in the 20's or Keens on 36'th street. Better steaks and sides and all dry aged beef.

I also recommend the ferry ride in from Port Imperial (Weehawken), though as Frank said, a bit pricey. Speaking of Weehawken, the view from Hamilton Park and the waterfront park at night of the NYC skyline is quite nice given it's a clear view.

For the first time, midtown is never a bad choice. As for museums, I prefer the Met over MOMA, and it doesn't hurt that the Met sits on the border of Central Park.

In general though, NYC is starting to put up their Christmas decor (as well as the tree), so you'll have that festive atmosphere as well.

For a traditional steak house experience without breaking the bank at Lugers in Brooklyn,next time try Wolfgangs on Park in the 20's or Keens on 36'th street. Better steaks and sides and all dry aged beef.

Thanks. Years ago prior to being married, I ate on park in the 20's and the place was good. No clue what the name of the place was. I will look these places up and save the stuff for the future.

Thanks. Years ago prior to being married, I ate on park in the 20's and the place was good. No clue what the name of the place was. I will look these places up and save the stuff for the future.

Les Halles is also on park in the 20's but it's more of a down and dirty French bistro that serves a decent steak and killer blood sausage. They have been there forever and it get pretty rowdy at night and weekends.maybe that's where you ate.

The problem with the Weehauken Ferry is that it drops you off a 15 minute walk from anywhere unless you're going to the Javits.

That is however my preferred way to go into Manhattan. It's just so much easier than dealing with NYC traffic.

In general though, NYC is starting to put up their Christmas decor (as well as the tree), so you'll have that festive atmosphere as well.

Tree went up Friday

383120_10150931641780573_590135572_21613901_965069536_n.jpg

The surrounding area is already lit:

314939_10150932377645573_590135572_21616121_1602818376_n.jpg

They've got the scaffolding up to decorate the tree:

309846_10150940445425573_590135572_21655260_1319566365_n.jpg

If you wanna know some good places to eat around midtown that aren't too touristy or pricey, let me know.

I would also kinda avoid Wall street right now. Too many smelly occupiers.

If you're down near Wall Street and Bowling Green, there's a nice inexpensive Indian place about 2 blocks from the US Customs House at Bowling Green (which houses the Smithsonian Museum of the American Indian) and the building is a Cass Gilbert Arch. design... If you're interested in the Indian place, let me know - good food, no shyts IYKWIM.