this_is_nascar

Inexpensive 9mm Ammo

Yeah, what Jon said. As a reloader, I only load 124 grain JHP for 9mm. Like it said, it makes cleaner holes in paper. =) Easier to score and see. :sarcastichand:

But if you do not reload, JHP ammo is typically alot more expensive, too expensive to go to the range and just shoot.

cabela's 9mm20 cents each for 9mm S&B. Free shipping if you order 10 boxes with code WTHANKS

Thanks for the info, hopping on that sale now!

When I load my own, I only load JHPs. They tend to be more accurate plus they don't cost any more than FMJs, and if civilization crumbles tomorrow, it's nice to know that I only stock JHPs at home.

I was waiting for someone to say that. That's why a lot of competition shooters will use HP's for matches.

Also worth checking whether you can get a .22 conversion kit for your firearms. For Sigs and CZs this is possible for many of the models. It lets you practice on technique at a fraction of the cost and without the recoil etc.

I've just ordered the .22 conversion kit for my Sig P226 now that they are back in stock.

hth

TheWombat

Also worth checking whether you can get a .22 conversion kit for your firearms. For Sigs and CZs this is possible for many of the models. It lets you practice on technique at a fraction of the cost and without the recoil etc.

I've just ordered the .22 conversion kit for my Sig P226 now that they are back in stock.

hth

TheWombat

Thanks. There is no conversion for the 9mm that I'm getting (Ruger SR9), but I have a couple .22LR pistols aleady, with several thousands of rounds at the ready. I was just trying to get feel on less-expensive bulk-type ammo and it's costs before I drop the hammer and purchase the SR9.

A couple months back, the local Dick's was selling Remington UMC 115gr FMJ for $100/500 rounds ($9.99/50). I believe this was their normal price. You have to add sales on top of that though. I'm not sure if the prices are still good since I raided the bank on them.

JHPs are always more accurate since they are formed with a jacketed base and since the center of gravity is towards the rear. This is why match rifle rounds are hollow points. Also a side benefit of the jacketed base is a cleaner gun and cleaner air with no lead vaporizing. They punch cleaner holes due to their shape... It's like comparing a pen poking a hole in paper vs a hole punch. They cost me a nickel more per box or something stupid like that to reload over FMJ.

Not to turn this into a debate about quality...

Someone in chat was saying their usaammo bullets were not proper diameter when measured and he has gotten no response from customer service. Anyone else have these issues?

IIRC Sellier&Bellot has copper washed steel jackets on their ammo. That will not go in my gun anymore. Also IIRC some places will not allow it to be used inside (potential fire hazard I think?)

Remington UMC had some quality control issues with their bullets not being properly seated or crimped in the case. Yep won't that anymore either.

Blazer is made by CCI. That gets a thumbs up. American Eagle is made by Federal. Also a thumbs up. PMC (made in South Korea) is also ammo that has been very reliable for me.

These are my opinions based on my experiences with the above named brands. I have not had any issues with them and feel confident I will leave the range with the same number of fingers I started with.

• Like 1

Use this site, it'll scan the interwebs for you: http://ammoseek.com/

Stay away from USA Ammo, JUNK to the umpteenth power in my experience (see my thread). IMO, theres no such thing as "plinking" ammo....when I'm "plinking" I'm practicing on keeping accuracy for life/death situation. Don't mess around with "cheap/junk" ammo, its not worth it.

• Like 1

Dont know what is up with USA ammo, every package I have seen personally fired shot well.

Plinking does not mean cheap, it might mean regular range ammo, no fancy hollow points, might be reloads.

For me plinking = WSF powder and fmj bullets, reduced charge load.

USPSA/Match loads = VV N320 Powder, and either JHP (for 9mm) or (FMJ/CMJ) bullet.

For home defense, I buy factory Gold Dots, but for a Zombie fun load = +P or +p+ loads JHP to blow crap up.

For factory ammo.

Blazer = aluminum cased I avoid like the plague

Blazer Brass = actually pretty good.

American Eagle/Walmart Federal red box = good ammo, the standard for cheap factory ammo.

PMC = Good quality cheap ammo. I met with the ceo at ShotShow and walked away feeling confident they do not put out a sub par product.

IIRC Sellier&Bellot has copper washed steel jackets on their ammo. That will not go in my gun anymore. Also IIRC some places will not allow it to be used inside (potential fire hazard I think?)

Are you completely sure about this ?

Can you quote a source ? Anyone have more info on this ?