Soju

Carrying when you drink

35 members have voted

1. 1. Carry while drinking, where legally allowed?

• Yes, if I can carry legally, I carry, regardless
    • No, never. If I'm drinking, I won't carry
    • Yes, at times. More often then not I do.
    • Yes, at times. Usually however, I won't.
    • I cannot legally do so.

For those of you that carry when in America, do you still carry even if you are drinking? I know there are many states that have restrictions or prohibitions on this, but the only two states I carry in, have no restrictions on this. Also, usually if I am in one of these states, I am often drinking. What are your thoughts?

• Like 1

You dont lose your other rights while drinking. Defense is defense, no matter if you drank or not. If you cant keep the gun away otherwise then you shouldnt be carrying...

Of course if I'm going out to get sloppy drunk I'de leave the gun home. But I dont go out & get drunk anyways. Too expensive lol

I know there are many states that have restrictions or prohibitions on this, but the only two states I carry in, have no restrictions on this.

Just because it's allowed, it doesn't mean it's a good idea...but hey, to each his own i guess.

• Like 2

i think for the sake of the discussion drinking should be slightly more defined.. if I am coherent and alert enough to legally operate a 2,000+ lb piece of steel traveling at almost 70 mph.. then I am confident enough to carry a firearm.. if I am going to a "party" where I know I am not leaving.. and know I am really going to be drinking to the point of not being able to drive.. then no I do not personally carry a gun..

• Like 2

No, I meant drinking as drinking. The extent of such is up to you. This is also why there are 3 choices in the poll, meant more as an attempt to distinguish such.

If I am going out to get drunk, then I do not carry. If I am just having a couple drinks at dinner or with friends, then I have no problem carrying. If I am carrying, and do drink, the fact that I am carrying actually helps to keep me out of trouble, and I am less likely to end up drinking too much to drive for example.

If I knew I wouldn't do something stupid when drunk, then I'd probably carry then to. I don't though. So that is when I leave my pistol at home/in the car.

No, I meant drinking as drinking. The extent of such is up to you. This is also why there are 3 choices in the poll, meant more as an attempt to distinguish such.

If I am going out to get drunk, then I do not carry. If I am just having a couple drinks at dinner or with friends, then I have no problem carrying. If I am carrying, and do drink, the fact that I am carrying actually helps to keep me out of trouble, and I am less likely to end up drinking too much to drive for example.

If I knew I wouldn't do something stupid when drunk, then I'd probably carry then to. I don't though. So that is when I leave my pistol at home/in the car.

in that regard I pretty much treat it like driving a vehicle..

I'd treat it the same as drinking. If I know I'm going to go out and get super drunk, I wouldn't bring a gun, and I'd get a friend who isn't going to do so to drive me. Regardless, I never get drunk. I just don't like it. I'll have a drink or two, but that's probably the most I drink, even at parties.

i think for the sake of the discussion drinking should be slightly more defined.. if I am coherent and alert enough to legally operate a 2,000+ lb piece of steel traveling at almost 70 mph.. then I am confident enough to carry a firearm.. if I am going to a "party" where I know I am not leaving.. and know I am really going to be drinking to the point of not being able to drive.. then no I do not personally carry a gun..

i treat firearms the same way i do Flying....When i was flying I wouldn t touch an aircraft within 12 hours of even one drink..i Do Not Carry AT ALL. One of my depts SOP's is to put anyone from the Dept involved in a shooting on the Brethalyzer (Now Alcotest) including Off-duty shootings. ANY alcohol use will call your judgement into suspicion.

We have regulations that prohibit drinking withing 12 hours of flying. Are you talking about flying privately? Irrelevant I know, I'm just curious.

But yes, you are correct. Anything that happens whether firearm related or not, is going to be under additional scrutiny if there is alcohol involved.

We have regulations that prohibit drinking withing 12 hours of flying. Are you talking about flying privately? Irrelevant I know, I'm just curious.

But yes, you are correct. Anything that happens whether firearm related or not, is going to be under additional scrutiny if there is alcohol involved.

General rule is "8 hours bottle to throttle", unless you fly people for hire, then it is usually 12 hours. There is also a blood alcohol level of .04% if I remember correctly.

I understand where KDP is coming from as far as opening the door to trouble. That said, when in a free state and carrying, I have had 1 drink at lunch or dinner.

I look at it like I have a safe full of guns at home. I will occasionally have a few beers or bourbons at home and I don't go crazy, pulling guns out and shooting up the neighborhood, one beer with dinner isn't going to make me do something stupid.

Again, I appreciate and understand your point KPD.

• Like 1

While I will carry when in the Free USA, if I am out to dinner and I am carrying I don't drink. Now I do have to mention that If I do plan on having a drink with dinner and I am out, say with my folks, wife and kid and happen to have my gun with me, well I do keep a combo lock box secured to my vehicle and locked in the trunk. I find this is a must have item, doesn't matter if you never plan to use it, but having a way to secure your firearm and have it inaccessible from someone breaking into the vehicle, or making it very very hard for them to get it is a good thing. You never know when you might find yourself in a location that you can't carry, or like I said, a place with a really good drink and you just don't want to pass up. On that note I also have to say, I don't have too many drinks either, always good on the BAC, just too much to loose for something stupid like that.

I have few hard rules in my life but at some point in my teens after seeing some frightening behavior from drunks with guns, I vowed that never the two shall mix. Under no circumstance. I don't drink pretty much at all any more but even when I did the guns went away and stayed away.

If I'm having one glass of wine or a single beer with dinner I will keep the gun on me. If there is even the possibility that I'll have more then a single beverage the gun gets locked away. Usually when I'm carrying I don't even have the single drink.

• Like 1