223lover

PPPnecessary to go to the range?

Through numerous posts on the forum, I keep seeing that to go to the range you should have your pistol purchase permit with you. I searched the 2C code and there is nothing that I can find that says you have to have proof with you that indicates that you bought your pistol legally. On the other hand, an old range officer once told me to carry at least a copy of the pink slip with me 'cause State police records works from Monday to Friday from 8 to 4 and If you get jammed after that you could spend the weekend in the can waiting until Monday to find out if your weapon was legally purchased. So, all of the above begs the qustion do you need to to carry some sort of proof that your gun is legally yours to go the range, and if so, where is it written? It doesnt say it on the PPP and the criminal code doesnt say it either. Also, is a copy of the PPP enough to take with you if you do need it? Id hate to lose the original "pinky".

Through numerous posts on the forum, I keep seeing that to go to the range you should have your pistol purchase permit with you. I searched the 2C code and there is nothing that I can find that says you have to have proof with you that indicates that you bought your pistol legally. On the other hand, an old range officer once told me to carry at least a copy of the pink slip with me 'cause State police records works from Monday to Friday from 8 to 4 and If you get jammed after that you could spend the weekend in the can waiting until Monday to find out if your weapon was legally purchased. So, all of the above begs the qustion do you need to to carry some sort of proof that your gun is legally yours to go the range, and if so, where is it written? It doesnt say it on the PPP and the criminal code doesnt say it either. Also, is a copy of the PPP enough to take with you if you do need it? Id hate to lose the original "pinky".

I don't beleive I've ever read that on this forum.

No such requirement. AFAIK, there are no laws that allow LE to demand that you show proof of ownership for a gun. Of course that can change if the gun was reported stolen and has matching serial numbers, or if they have some other probable cause to believe the gun is stolen. This is true for anything really, not just guns.

If i ever get questioned at a range whether the gun I'm shooting is mine and they ask for proof, you won't see my a$$ in there ever again, and I will tell every gun owner I know not to go there.

It's bad enough our state doesn't trust us with our guns...you really think these thugs holding up victims with their stolen or illlegally obtained guns actually go to the range and practice?

I realize there's no requirement, but I keep photocopies of my purchase paperwork in the bottom of my range box, just in case. That way if there ever is a question, I have some documentation. I'm not worried about ROs and the like, but overzealous law enforcement who like to interpret NJ gun laws as they see fit.

I know! I know! It's not in the laws. Better safe than sorry, though and it's only a couple dozen sheets of paper.

I'm looking forward to the time, though, that it's the size of a NYC phone book.

• Like 1

I do not and will not carry any PPP's or COE's with me. I usually do have my FID card with me. I don't carry any of my Titles to any of my vehicale with me when I drive them either.

If somehow they want to throw me in jail for the weekend good for them. I guess I will find out just want kind of lawsuit I can bring against their department after that too. Being self-employed I can always find time to meet with lawyers and go-after them for wrongful arrest. I have other things I would rather be doing, but to try and teach someone a lesson, guess I"ll "bite the bullet". ;)

I dont know about range Nazi's and I would wholeheartedly agree with Tommy. However I do think there is a good reason to carry at least a copy of the PPP. I carry a copy and here is why. In NJ as you all know all firearms are banned. We own them through exceptions. The burdan of proof is on you because of the way these laws are constructed. Therefore if you can reasonably prove ownership and exception there on scene should you become entangled with law enforcement from a routine traffic stop or whatever, you can nip it in the bud right there and prove ownership and exception. If you cant and you get the wrong officer, the burdan of proof could be thrust upon you and you will jump through many hoops to get your pistol returned. Its much easier to cary a piece of paper in my opinion. I know I dont have to, but Id rather that than have my pistol tossed around like a hockey puck while I prove its mine etc etc.

I don't bring copies of anything. It is not required by law. I was on the way home from Cherry Ridge and had the police look into my car at a random seatbelt check point. I did have my seatbelt on. There were rifle/pistol cases, ammo boxes, and targets in full view. I would say there was a full load in the car if you know what I mean. The police just waived me through no questions asked.

If you spend the weekend in jail something else is going on. It's not for no pistol purchase permit in hand.

Well, I have been an RO at several ranges and you'd never see me give that advise! You need not have any proof of ownership of a specific firearm with you. However, you should have proof of the ability to legally own a firearm in the form of showing your FPID. I'd be in deep trouble if I had to produce so-called proof of ownership of all my firearms as much of my collection was bought in free States (ala, no permit required) and some really, really old pieces through inheritance whose lineage would only be known to me at this point.