302w

LEO's and this forum

About how many active members are LEO's on this forum? I ask only because It seems like there is a semi-large number of members mention at one point or another mention their police-job. Im not asking for specifics, but it honestly seems like a quarter of the members here are police.

On a side note, this might be generalizing LEO's... but I have found almost all police to be avid firearm enthusiasts and happy to talk guns with you, OR they look at you like you are a terrorist if you say that you legally own firearms. IMO, its one extreme to the next.

About how many active members are LEO's on this forum? I ask only because It seems like there is a semi-large number of members mention at one point or another mention their police-job. Im not asking for specifics, but it honestly seems like a quarter of the members here are police.

On a side note, this might be generalizing LEO's... but I have found almost all police to be avid firearm enthusiasts and happy to talk guns with you, OR they look at you like you are a terrorist if you say that you legally own firearms. IMO, its one extreme to the next.

I would agree without naming names that at least a quarter of the active posters are LEO.. involved with LEO directly or are ex LEO..

I agree with your second statement.. but that ls likely because cops are regular people just like you and me...

go tell 100 sales clerks you like guns.. like to collect them.. shoot them.. some will think you are insane.. and the rest might ask to go shoot with you.. take a large enough abstract of any group and you will end up with some who have interest in your hobby and some who do not.. LEO is no different..

i also find it funny that half of the LEOs i know don't even like carrying off-duty. I tell them to take advantage and start carrying because they don't know what it's like to not have that option.

I think one of the reasons is they carry all day during their shift and want to be rid of it for a while..

Most of the LEO's that I know, treat it just like a job. No more, no less. When the shift is over, they disassociate themselves from their role as police officer, which means the gun gets put away. Not saying it's right or wrong, but just what they do.

It has been my informal observation that about 80-90% of LEO's accept firearms as a part of their job, and train only enough to be able to qualify a couple of times a year; while the remaining 10-20% (probably closer to 10%) are very enthusiastic, pursuing training beyond what their department offers, even at their own time and expense.

I think one of the reasons is they carry all day during their shift and want to be rid of it for a while..

+1

They may have it "handy" in their car or in their wife's purse. For some reason, and probably for the same reason that people do not have house alarms, is that they think the odds of something happening is quite low and they are willing to take a chance that it won't happen to them.

Most of the LEO's that I know, treat it just like a job. No more, no less. When the shift is over, they disassociate themselves from their role as police officer, which means the gun gets put away. Not saying it's right or wrong, but just what they do.

I will tell you this.. I have not met anyone that is or was a cop that can put it ALL away.. Sure.. some guys carry and some don't.. But you are always thinking and acting like a cop.. It just becomes who you are.. The way you stand, the place you sit, how you observe things, etc.. For example.. If I go to eat I will always try to sit with my back to a wall and try and get a good view of entrance... Using a public bathroom you always use a stall... When talking with people you get into the habit of always watching the hands.. Little things like that.. It just becomes who you are.. Most times guys don't even realize they are doing it.. As far as carrying off duty.. I ALWAYS carry.. I don't care if it is just running to the corner store.. You NEVER know when its gonna hit the fan... As the saying goes.. I would rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it..

As far as carrying off duty.. I ALWAYS carry.. I don't care if it is just running to the corner store.. You NEVER know when its gonna hit the fan... As the saying goes.. I would rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it..

And to what percentage do you think that the off duty LEO actually does carry everywhere?

It has been my informal observation that about 80-90% of LEO's accept firearms as a part of their job, and train only enough to be able to qualify a couple of times a year; while the remaining 10-20% (probably closer to 10%) are very enthusiastic, pursuing training beyond what their department offers, even at their own time and expense.

Not gonna get into specifics.. There was a guy.. Not in my department, but he went for some training.. On his own time and spent his own money.. Got written up by the department because it was not approved by the department.. Their claim was that if any of the training that he learned was used during a situation and there was any kind of bad outcome the department would be liable.. Apparently any kind of training that will be used must be approved by the department before doing it even if you are doing it on your own time and spending your own money..

And to what percentage do you think that the off duty LEO actually does carry everywhere?

In my department the majority carry off duty.. I would say that about 70% of them carry off duty.. Especially with the way things have been going lately.. You would be crazy not to carry..

They can still throw a 38 in their pocket or something like that. They have smaller options. Sadly, most cops don't take that part of the job seriously.

I will tell you this.. I have not met anyone that is or was a cop that can put it ALL away.. Sure.. some guys carry and some don't.. But you are always thinking and acting like a cop.. It just becomes who you are.. The way you stand, the place you sit, how you observe things, etc.. For example.. If I go to eat I will always try to sit with my back to a wall and try and get a good view of entrance... Using a public bathroom you always use a stall... When talking with people you get into the habit of always watching the hands.. Little things like that.. It just becomes who you are.. Most times guys don't even realize they are doing it.. As far as carrying off duty.. I ALWAYS carry.. I don't care if it is just running to the corner store.. You NEVER know when its gonna hit the fan... As the saying goes.. I would rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it..

Hell, I still do everything you've described only because I lived in Washington Heights, first wife had a brother in the Ghost Shadows and I'm only 1/4 Chinese.

In my department the majority carry off duty.. I would say that about 70% of them carry off duty.. Especially with the way things have been going lately.. You would be crazy not to carry..

Funny you should say that. So what do you think the rest of us non-LEO's, non-CCW's feel like when we wish we could have a gun with us for our own safety?

It's been said plenty of times on all the gun forums I have been on, LEO's want to be the only ones walking around with guns. Criminals will always carry what they want, the rest of us that want to be on the correct side of the law will follow the rules.

Funny you should say that. So what do you think the rest of us non-LEO's, non-CCW's feel like when we wish we could have a gun with us for our own safety?

It's been said plenty of times on all the gun forums I have been on, LEO's want to be the only ones walking around with guns. Criminals will always carry what they want, the rest of us that want to be on the correct side of the law will follow the rules.

Mike I didn't get he expressed an opinion elther way, but for the most part, many of the LEO's here are very pro gun and very pro 2A.

Mike I didn't get he expressed an opinion elther way, but for the most part, many of the LEO's here are very pro gun and very pro 2A.

Thanks.. I don't care what process the state of NJ wants to put.. But in the end conceal carry should be allowed... While it may suck and be unfair.. Let them have a process of background check, mental health check, references, taking a course, whatever else they can come up with.. In the end let those people carry.. The fact that the only way to get a gun is if there is some specific need is ridiculous.. There shouldn't be a reason needed.. I think a background check to ensure a person is not a convicted felon and a gun training course is good enough to get the carry permit.. Also maybe conduct an annual check to ensure that the permit holder has not committed any violent crimes or such.. Hell put a damn annual fee on it.. JUST LET PEOPLE CARRY!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. M4BGRINGO - The majority of guys on the job do not have that mentality.. It is not our choice that we are the only ones that are allowed to carry when not working.. The ability comes with the job.. If you want my honest opinion.. (and I know this may sound "wrong")... Unless you are some criminal committing a crime I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR WEAPONS... You can have your AR with every option you are not supposed to have and a 100 round dual drum magazine.. But I will ask for a FID card lol...

But in all honesty most guys on this job could careless about a law abiding citizens arsenal.. I have my own personal arsenal.. And dammit I have been waiting years and these damn zombie will not show up!!!

Carrying a firearm off-duty has alot of department rules and regulations involved.

You can't just throw a gun in your pocket and go, or put a gun in someones purse.

Can you imagine calling the Lt. on duty and telling him that your car was broken into and a handgun was stolen.

That gun must be on your person in a secure holster at all times.

This is a very accurate statement. At least from what I see in my dept. I personally always carry off duty just because I do subscribe to the theory that I am never " truly" off duty. Just look at what happened to the ATF agent on LI. I carry a back up on duty. My gear selection, preparedness level and off duty gun enthusiasm has me labeled as "buffy" but a majority of mynco workers admit that if **** goes wrong they want to be with me. I would rather be prepared and not need it than be unprepared and be without.

Sorry, but I have to ask. What's the deal with using the stall as opposed to the urinal?

No Harry, I wasn't saying TacGuy911 doesn't want us to carry. He (TacGuy) stated he thinks ALL his fellow LEO's should carry off-duty, and I agree with that. I think it would make their job easier if the rest of NJ had the option.

Wasn't it Thomas Jefferson that said "An armed society is a polite society"?. Criminals wouldn't be so quick to mug people if they had no idea who had a gun on them and who didn't.

I certainly know people I wouldn't want to see carrying a gun everyday, our jails would become even more over-crowded knowing what would happen with some of these hot-heads. Heck, could you imagine the new every night. How many shootings would we have on RT 287, RT 42/55, etc......after road-rage incidents.............

I like my quiet town!

Good luck out there TacGuy, you guys (and gals) get to see a lot of our society that the rest of us don't want to.

In the academic they gave us pointers of off duty carry, sadly this was left out, new one for me lol

My step-dad who was in the Marine Corp in Khe Sanh in 67-69, to this day won't sit at a table in a restaurant with his back to the door. He taught it to me when I was just a kid, but I don't really practice it.

My step-dad who was in the Marine Corp in Khe Sanh in 67-69, to this day won't sit at a table in a restaurant with his back to the door. He taught it to me when I was just a kid, but I don't really practice it.

It's hard to always sit in the corner I found looking at entrances a. Waiting staff normally doesn't understand your request. B. Multiple entrances or no good spot to be