hopper

Former Marine gets jammed up in NYC carrying firearm !!

Another person gets jammed up carrying a firearm to NYC , ashame , when are these friggin laws gonna change , 2 people now facing jail time for something that should be a "RECOGNIZED" CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT !!!!

Fixed that for ya...

• Like 2

From the article:

The online gun-law information Jerome read was inaccurate,

Maybe I'm sheltered, but I've read a lot on the internet concerning gun laws, not _ONCE_ have I ever seen anything that would indicate that NYC or even NYS has reciprocity with any other state.

Maybe he read some twisted version of FOPA?

It sucks that this happened but it is clearly against the law to carry in NYC. Any research into state law will quickly show that. Hopefully the AG will come to his senses and not push to have this guy put in jail for 3 years.

Here we go again, really sad, a person who has stood up to defend this country and the constitution is going to get jammed up for something he defended that, that particular place doesn't want to recognize.

So true, however you are responsible to know the laws in the areas at which you carry.

The DA would have to choose not to prosecute. Unfortunately that would put him in a rough spot as the situation is so blatantly obvious that this guy broke the law.

His next only hope would be jury nullification ala Jonathan Ryan style. He slam dunk broke the law, and the jury came back with a not guilty in 30 minutes. They obviously decided to ignore the law and ruled not guilty anyway.

This guy was an idiot, but at the same time I hope he doesn't get the good ole welcome to NYC ruin your life stint. It is clear he was not acting malicious , or had any violent criminal intent.

This sh*t is starting to aggrevate me , maybe im wrong here but where the fugg is the NRA , 4.3 million members that give their hard earned money to them and they are SILENT ,I i know that they do alot of good but they should be out there protesting , doing interviews on news stations ,getting members fired up and calling these politicians out on the carpet ,i mean here we are gonna send a mother and a former marine to jail for bullsh*t laws .... really ??? I just dont get it 4.3 million members and not a sound ,WTF ..... speechless ................... sorry just had to rant ..........

This sh*t is starting to aggrevate me , maybe im wrong here but where the fugg is the NRA , 4.3 million members that give their hard earned money to them and they are SILENT ,I i know that they do alot of good but they should be out there protesting , doing interviews on news stations ,getting members fired up and calling these politicians out on the carpet ,i mean here we are gonna send a mother and a former marine to jail for bullsh*t laws .... really ??? I just dont get it 4.3 million members and not a sound ,WTF ..... speechless ................... sorry just had to rant ..........

The only time the NRA gets mainstream press/media time is when some horrible violent act is committed with a gun, and the press tries to hint that the NRA made it possible.

• Like 1

Why do people think carrying in New York City is legal? Either they no it's illegal and want to defend themselves or they're just stupid.

Says a guy who can see the NYC skyline from outside his window.

Trust me when I say this, if you grow up in a free state, as I did, you really have no idea how asinine the laws are elsewhere. I have friends in Ohio that believe the Ohio laws are gawd awfully strict when it comes to guns and they bristle at the slightest hint that state may become even more restrictive and yet you can conceal carry there. Heck, even without a license, you can have a loaded handgun on the front seat of your car as long as it's in a holster. When you grow up in that environment, the thought that simply POSSESSING a firearm is a felony just simply does not compute. Sure there may be rules about how you are supposed to handle it, but mere possession in an ordinary location being illegal is unthinkable.

• Like 2

The biggest problem with jury nullification is...that most juries don't know about it, and judges and prosecutors do everything they can to keep it from juries. See the man who was arrested for jury tampering for telling juries about jury nullification... yet a judge can refuse juries access to the specific statues one is accused of violating and that isn't...

I was thinking the exact same thing....If only these people didnt want to check their guns.....

From the article:

Maybe I'm sheltered, but I've read a lot on the internet concerning gun laws, not _ONCE_ have I ever seen anything that would indicate that NYC or even NYS has reciprocity with any other state.

So true, however you are responsible to know the laws in the areas at which you carry.

Oh, I do agree, I scan the laws when I travel and many of the border states of them just in case, but what we can't forget, what he was doing and if he is not a prohibited person should not be a problem, the 2A is a right not a privilege.

• Like 1

Oh, I do agree, I scan the laws when I travel and many of the border states of them just in case, but what we can't forget, what he was doing and if he is not a prohibited person should not be a problem, the 2A is a right not a privilege.

2A is a federal right. The federal government cannot infringe. States however....

Up until about 1947 the first amendment was basically federal only. Then in 1947 SCOTUS said it applied to states, too. That Chicago verdict from a year or two ago said that 2A also applied to states but, I believe, that states can have reasonable infringements. It's all the interpretation of the Constitution. Remember, we are the United States of America. We are a country of 50 states and 235 years ago the states wanted a weak central government and strong state power. We can't pick and choose when we want a strong Federal gov't and when we want strong state gov't. It's a package deal.

• Like 1

I don't care where you come from every gun owner knows the laws differ by state and the burden of responsibility falls on the gun owner to know the laws of that state. He even acknowleges this by saying he checked the web for the state laws. He should have checked with the NRA or an attorney. Not the internet.

• Like 1

I don't care where you come from every gun owner knows the laws differ by state and the burden of responsibility falls on the gun owner to know the laws of that state. He even acknowleges this by saying he checked the web for the state laws. He should have checked with the NRA or an attorney. Not the internet.

How many is it legal conversations do we have on this forum?

How many threads do we have about certain police not knowing the laws they are supposed to be enforcing?

How many judges make things up as they go along ie 30 days doesn't mean 30 days.

How many lawmakers couldn't identify an "Assault" weapon if it bit them in the a**?

I'll stop there but I can continue for hours. If NJ residents, leos and lawyers can't make sense of our gun laws, how can you expect anyone from out of state understand them.

How many is it legal conversations do we have on this forum?

How many threads do we have about certain police not knowing the laws they are supposed to be enforcing?

How many judges make things up as they go along ie 30 days doesn't mean 30 days.

How many lawmakers couldn't identify an "Assault" weapon if it bit them in the a**?

I'll stop there but I can continue for hours. If NJ residents, leos and lawyers can't make sense of our gun laws, how can you expect anyone from out of state understand them.

I hear what you are saying, I know many of my friends from around the country think I am joking when I tell them about some of the things we need to do here in the PR of NJ.

I think they are completely wrong what we have to do, but while I live here, I have to comply until it is changed, and yes I do what I can to support that change.

However I will say, whenever you travel with firearms you need to check what the laws are in the states you are going through and your final destination as well and anyone who check's NJ Laws as well as NYC, that CCW is a big NO-NO.

Brass cajones. Personally, I'd take the deal. The misdemeanor won't prevent him from carrying back home and he'd be done with this.

Good luck to him. I suspect the NYC aholes won't back down.

-------------

http://www.theblaze....ossession-case/

Former Marine Refuses Plea Deal in NYC Gun Possession Case

Former Marine Ryan Jerome does not believe in partial victories.Ryan-Jerome-200x200.jpg

You may recall Jerome was arrested for felony gun possession during a visit to NYC last September. He voluntarily checked in his firearm at the Empire State Building, as it was legally registered in another state, and he believed he was in compliance with the law.

Not in the Big Apple. Possession of any firearm unregistered in NYC is a major crime under the law.

As a 28-year-old Indiana-based jeweler, Jerome brought his legally-registered .45-cal Ruger to New York because he was transporting $15,000 in gold to a Long Island refinery, according to the New York Post.

The somewhat good news for 2nd Amendment advocates is that the Manhattan District Attorney has offered a plea deal to a misdemeanor with no jail time. But Jerome adamantly refuses any deal. He wants all charges dropped. Period.

It is a felony to possess a handgun in New York City whether it is registered anywhere else or not. Those caught violating the statute face a mandatory 3 1/2 year sentence, but prosecutorial discretion often allows for plea deals and lesser punishments.

Ruger-261x200.jpgAs a former Marine, Jerome has received substantial support from his brothers-in-arms as well as from those in the chattering classes who believe New York’s draconian gun laws violate the 2nd Amendment. This public attention may have helped push prosecutors to treat this case less harshly than they could have.

“We continue to believe the case should be dismissed outright,” said Jerome’s lawyer, Mark Bederow, according to the New York Post.

The Post claims a document has been released regarding the case that states: “The New York District Attorney‘s Office is offering to allow your client to plead guilty to a single Class ’A’ misdemeanor in full satisfaction of all charges.” The letter was apparently addressed to Jerome’s lawyer from the prosecutor heading the case, Joseph Davis.

The Blaze will update you on any developments in the Ryan Jerome case in the weeks ahead.

He's got some clankers and I applaud his resolve. This kind of stuff can be the catalyst for change.

Let's see what the NYC DA does - he's got a politically popular defendant to prosecute and a politically unpopular law to enforce.

Except they have no obligation to prosecute. This man, and the nurse, and the other recent case, obviously had no criminal intent. They could just not charge and tell them to not do it again, but they won't.