gunnarsport

Picking up a Stoeger Cougar 9mm

Hi,

I will be buying the Stoeger Cougar 9mm pistol at Sportsman Center in Bordentown soon. For the longest time, I had

my heart set on the Sig P226....until I recently discovered the Stoeger Cougar. I had the opportunity to handle and

shot the firearm recently and I loved it. It seemed to fit my hand and my tastes perfectly.

When comparing it to the Beretta, the build quality appears to be equal, at least to my eyes, and its all metal which is

what I wanted for my first 9mm. Its got that nice traditional, hammer fired look that I was going for.

Also, the fact that the Stoeger Cougar is HALF the price of the Sig P226 and also is ambidextrous for a lefty like me,

seemed to make it the more practical choice. For some of the extra cash, I can buy a lefty holster and more ammo.

By the way, I was dead wrong about my feelings of the Sportsman Center in Bordentown. Last year, I posted a messege

saying I was not impressed with the store. Well, I was wrong, the store seemed to have changed for the better. The

guys at the gun counter are fantastic! Very professional, friendly and respectful. On their website, I was watching a

few of their You Tube videos with what appeared to be the owner.

I used to own the Beretta Cougar and was very happy with it. It was a much more reasonable size for the caliber than the 92FS, but with the same control layout. Interestingly, I was also able to handle the slide mounted safety on the Cougar much better than on the 92FS. I know that Stoeger is making the Cougar on the Beretta machinery. I think Beretta sold it to Stoeger. If you are interested in the original Beretta Cougar, check this out. It is a great deal from a reputable dealer.It is New Old Stock.

http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=100000365&dir=700|1012|1026

The Cougar 9 was my first semi HG and still have it. Your right, does feel geat in the hand and for a smaller sized pistol packing 15 rds is awesome. Piece of cake to clean too. I still think its by far the best deal out there for a quality gun. No probs, but being the brl is 3.6" gives a shorter sight radius. Keep an eye out for $15 mags on sale at CDNN. You can, if interested, interchange the mags with the CX4. Have fun!

I really like the Cougar and it feels so good in the hand. I don't own one, personally, yet, but I plan on getting one or the compact 9mm. I am also quite interested in getting on of the 8045 (.45 ACP) guns. That one has the rail on the front, but it is hard to get.

If I had the opportunity of either the PX4 Storm or the Cougar, I would probably take the PX4. It has a nice trigger.

If you want one, I would contact Jim Flynn in Glen Gardner. He usually has some in stock, as he is a Stoeger Dealer. You can probably get one for a really good price through him.

Jim Flynn is actually $50.00 cheaper for the Stoeger Cougar 9mm in matte black, than Sportsman Center in Bordentown.

You guys are right, he is dirt cheap! I read on other posts that he only makes a $25.00 dollar profit on guns.

Google Maps says he is 45 minutes from my home. Our family used to drive right by his place when we were

kids going out to the Poconos. Of course, I had no idea he was there at that time, or if he was even there yet.

We are talking in the mid 1970's.

I was planning on heading to Sportmans Center this weekend to order the Stoeger, but I may just drive out to

Jims and order it from him.