this_is_nascar

Your Opinion - Beretta 92FS as 1st 9MM Handgun

I like the stack sights and the straight dust cover in the m9 but if you want to adjust the sights and rail I agree on the 92a1. The DA trigger is smooth with practice and I think its perfectly balanced for my hands. Love the all metal construction. Easy as hell to strip and clean.

I say go for it.

If it fits your hand well and you enjoy shooting it, you cannot go wrong with a Beretta 92 variant. I would consider getting the 92A1 model with the ability to upgrade the front sight, though, and the rail (for versatility).

You really do need to get at least one other handgun, though, some sort of 22LR such as a Ruger Mark, Browning Buckmark, or S&W 617 revolver.

Oh, and you probably need to get at least one 1911. And, to make some others reading this thread happy, you really should get a Glock 19. And, you cannot overlook something in .38, .357 with a wheel.

If you must have only one 9mm, though, I would suggest handling a CZ 75B and considering getting the 22LR conversion for it. There is probably one for the 92 as well, that would allow you to practice.

Personally, the Beretta Cougar/Stoeger Cougar feels better in my hands than the 92FS, but for only one gun and the parts available, etc... the 92 will be a great choice.

I was with you until the "breaks like glass" part. I have shot a lot of Glocks, some with fancy triggerwork, and I would not use the glass rod analogy to describe any of them.

I like the consistency of a Glock/LEM/M&P trigger, but I personally wouldn't compare it favorably to a 1911 or even a good S&W revolver in single action.

Maybe not a 'glass rod'. But it's definitely a clean break. When lined up on target, I can rest my finger right on the break-point and just squeeze it cleanly. Maybe it helped that I dry fire my Glocks pretty much every day and practice, practice, practice.

Thanks. You're not the 1st one to mention a CZ. I've never heard of them, so I'll have to do some research.

You are welcome to try my CZ P01 or CZ 85Combat at Shore Shot or Central Jersey some time. They are well built, accurate, reliable guns. I have NEVER had a jam or misfire in my P01. As reliable as my Glock was, I can't say that about it.

Picking one up a new one on Saturday morning, you are welcome to come to CJ and try her out. The first one I shot was the 92 S back in 1983, this was the trial gun for the military replacing the 1911. It is a great gun that will take lots of abuse.

Let us know how you make out and give a report please.

If it fits your hand well and you enjoy shooting it, you cannot go wrong with a Beretta 92 variant. I would consider getting the 92A1 model with the ability to upgrade the front sight, though, and the rail (for versatility).

You really do need to get at least one other handgun, though, some sort of 22LR such as a Ruger Mark, Browning Buckmark, or S&W 617 revolver.

Oh, and you probably need to get at least one 1911. And, to make some others reading this thread happy, you really should get a Glock 19. And, you cannot overlook something in .38, .357 with a wheel.

If you must have only one 9mm, though, I would suggest handling a CZ 75B and considering getting the 22LR conversion for it. There is probably one for the 92 as well, that would allow you to practice.

Personally, the Beretta Cougar/Stoeger Cougar feels better in my hands than the 92FS, but for only one gun and the parts available, etc... the 92 will be a great choice.

Thanks. I have my share of .22LR rifles, semi's and revolvers. I'm covered there. As far as the .45, I have no desire to own one. I don't need it and would not pay the cost of ammo and loading my own is not in my future. I've thought of a .38-special/.357 magnum revolver, but that's more of a wish-list item and not a "must have" for me. This next purchase will be my last purchase for awhile, so I want it to be a 9mm. I'm really narrowed down to the Ruger SR9 an the Beretta 92FS/92A1. I briefly considered the Ruger P95, until I held it. Way to beefy, like the Sig, for me.

It sounds like that if I go down the path of the Beretta, I'd be better served getting the 92A1 over the 92FS? Is the removable front-sight and rail the only difference between the two?

The 92A1 also features an internal recoil buffer that isn't included on the 92FS. I'm pretty new at all this as well, but from what I understand... the IRB was designed for the 96A1, which fires .40s&w, to extend service life. Beretta figured what the hell and threw it on to the 92A1 because it also fit that frame. Most people say the IRB isn't really needed in the 92A1 because 9mm isn't subjecting the frame to the same pressure as .40s&w. That being said, it certainly does not HURT and if anything will extend the service life of the 92A1. The M9A1 does not have the internal recoil bufer. Nor does it have a removable front sight.

For a NJ buyer, the only downside to the 92A1 is that is comes from the factory with either 17 round (not NJ legal) or 10 round magazines. Whereas the M9A1 comes with NJ legal 15 rounders. However, the shop where I bought mine gave me a 92A1 with 15 round Beretta factory magazines. He said no one wants the 10 rounders so he only orders Berettas with 15 round magazines. How he made that work I don't know but as soon as he told me 15 round mags I took out my wallet to pay for the 92A1.

For me, 92A1 over 92FS is a no brainer unless you're dead set on getting an INOX (stainless) because Beretta has not made the 92A1 in INOX.

It sounds like that if I go down the path of the Beretta, I'd be better served getting the 92A1 over the 92FS? Is the removable front-sight and rail the only difference between the two?

Yes, personally I believe the 92A1 is a better option over the 92FS. That is why I bought a 92A1 instead of the FS, last year. Here's some info I found on the web:

1-Rounded trigger guard - Updated styling to conform with current pistol gripping practices.

2-Captive recoil spring assembly: The single-piece design simplifies the assembly and disassembly process and minimizes the possibility of spring loss

3-Removable front sight: Allows the user to easily replace a damaged sight or replace it with an accessory sight.

4-Internal recoil buffer: Increases service life by reducing stress on the receiver.

5-Rail so you can attach accessories

6-Comes with three 17 round or 10 round magazines (10 round mags for NJ). I don't know if the 92FS comes with 3 mags as well, as I don't own one. 15 round mags can be had for cheap. I have bought brand new genuine Beretta 15 round mags for as cheap as $16 online. So don't let the 10 round mags that come with the 92A1 deter you from it.

The 92A1 is basically the product of taking the best elements of the 92FS and the 90-TWO models

The 92A1 also features an internal recoil buffer that isn't included on the 92FS. I'm pretty new at all this as well, but from what I understand... the IRB was designed for the 96A1, which fires .40s&w, to extend service life. Beretta figured what the hell and threw it on to the 92A1 because it also fit that frame. Most people say the IRB isn't really needed in the 92A1 because 9mm isn't subjecting the frame to the same pressure as .40s&w. That being said, it certainly does not HURT and if anything will extend the service life of the 92A1. The M9A1 does not have the internal recoil bufer. Nor does it have a removable front sight.

For a NJ buyer, the only downside to the 92A1 is that is comes from the factory with either 17 round (not NJ legal) or 10 round magazines. Whereas the M9A1 comes with NJ legal 15 rounders. However, the shop where I bought mine gave me a 92A1 with 15 round Beretta factory magazines. He said no one wants the 10 rounders so he only orders Berettas with 15 round magazines. How he made that work I don't know but as soon as he told me 15 round mags I took out my wallet to pay for the 92A1.

For me, 92A1 over 92FS is a no brainer unless you're dead set on getting an INOX (stainless) because Beretta has not made the 92A1 in INOX.

LOL, I think we posted at exactly the same time... with similar responses. :)

oh and having shot my 92 and my dads 92a1 you get little bit less muzzle flip with the 92a1 due to the extra weight up front. (the rail).

The captive rod is nice because it keeps your spring from flying across the room. Yeah I've done that a few times. It always ends up under something.

I have the inox version cuz I really liked the look. Otherwise Id have the 92a1. Who knows, still might buy one.

Thanks guys. Been spending some time reading/viewing info about the 92A1. I like that buffering-pad thing that the 92A1 has. As far as the mags, I thought I read that all 92-series mags are interchangeable, so the 15-round mag from the 92FS will work in the 92A1.

The 92A1 has interchangeable front sight? I thought that's only on the 90 two..

They actually sell the m9 commercial now and back when I bought my 92 the m9 was very hard to find. I'm thinking about getting the m9 for the straight dust cover and dot/post sight. Anyone interested in a barely used 92FS? :)

Thanks guys. Been spending some time reading/viewing info about the 92A1. I like that buffering-pad thing that the 92A1 has. As far as the mags, I thought I read that all 92-series mags are interchangeable, so the 15-round mag from the 92FS will work in the 92A1.

Correct, any 92 series mags will work in any 92 series Beretta. I THINK 90-two mags will work as well but don't quote me on that. The Beretta forum is a great resource for a lot of these kinds of details.

http://berettaforum.net/

The 92A1 has interchangeable front sight? I thought that's only on the 90 two..

They actually sell the m9 commercial now and back when I bought my 92 the m9 was very hard to find. I'm thinking about getting the m9 for the straight dust cover and dot/post sight. Anyone interested in a barely used 92FS? :)

92A1 front sight is interchangable.

You can buy the 92a1 with 15rd mags, people have done soo... beretta helps us NJ folk out! Ramsey outdoor had them in stock last year with 15rd mags last time i asked. You also get 3 mags with the 92a1.

Do you know what particular model number that would be. I've been getting quotes on model #J9A9F11, which is the one with 10-rounds mags.

Do you know what particular model number that would be. I've been getting quotes on model #J9A9F11, which is the one with 10-rounds mags.

I'm honestly not sure, i think they are custom shop orders.

http://www.budspolic...roducts_id/3170

basically the 17rd model replaced with 15rd mags... From what i know, i have only seen them in NJ stores, i haven't seen them online except for this one. The distributors may be swapping out the mags... i'm really not sure.

Thats the m9a1 not the 92a1 w/ the sand resistant 15rd mags. Those cost a pretty penny, i haven't even used the ones mine came with, i bought standard 15rd mags that i use. Both guns are great, and have different features. M9A1 has the beveled mag well checkered back strap, 1 rail cut + the expensive mags, also is a 92fs model. The 92A1 is not an fs model and cannot interchange certain parts. I should note, both of them are very difficult to find good production holsters for... I have been hounding Blackhawk to make a cqc serpa for them, the light bearing holster is just too bulky, and i'm not gonna by the one and only light that works for it.

Wow they sure make it confusing! I thought the M9A1 and 92A1 were the same model just different roll marks.

So the difference is the M9A1 has mag well, square trigger guard, fixed sights and sand resistant mags? What exactly is a fs model? I have the 92fs and I thought it's exactly the same as a m9 but with slanted dust cover and different sights and roll marks.

I'm considering replacing my 92fs with a m9 and also get either the M9A1/92A1 or 90 two. I think I can do without the interchangeable sights and I'm not too crazy about the round trigger guard. Leaning more towards the m9A1.

Thats the m9a1 not the 92a1 w/ the sand resistant 15rd mags. Those cost a pretty penny, i haven't even used the ones mine came with, i bought standard 15rd mags that i use. Both guns are great, and have different features. M9A1 has the beveled mag well checkered back strap, 1 rail cut + the expensive mags, also is a 92fs model. The 92A1 is not an fs model and cannot interchange certain parts. I should note, both of them are very difficult to find good production holsters for... I have been hounding Blackhawk to make a cqc serpa for them, the light bearing holster is just too bulky, and i'm not gonna by the one and only light that works for it.

Wow they sure make it confusing! I thought the M9A1 and 92A1 were the same model just different roll marks.

So the difference is the M9A1 has mag well, square trigger guard, fixed sights and sand resistant mags? What exactly is a fs model? I have the 92fs and I thought it's exactly the same as a m9 but with slanted dust cover and different sights and roll marks.

I'm considering replacing my 92fs with a m9 and also get either the M9A1/92A1 or 90 two. I think I can do without the interchangeable sights and I'm not too crazy about the round trigger guard. Leaning more towards the m9A1.

it was all about the trigger guard for me lol and the rail. Beretta makes it kinda confusing, the vertex and brigadier are like the 92a1, they are modified fs's. I believe its all about the slide thickness/fitment. m9a1 is basically the same m9 with a rail + a few extras. they are both 92fs models. I like the strait dust cover too.

What's your thought and opinions of a Beretta 92FS as a 1st and probably only, 9mm handgun?

The very first pistol I ever shot was the Beretta and I struggled with it (poor technique) so I never really became fond of it later on. If you like a metal 9mm then I'd suggest checking out the 92FS, Sig P226, CZ75 to see which one you prefer. These are all readily available as rentals. I'd also suggest you see whether you easily adapt to DA/SA, some people dislike the transition. It doesn't make much sense to get one of these and always shoot it in SA mode.

Have you taken a look or tried any plastic 9mms e.g. Springfield Armory XD, Glock, Walther PPQ etc, depending on what you the purpose of the firearm is then these may also be worth considering.

Also take a look here: http://www.best9mm.com/ for some additional inspiration/feedback

I won't say that xxx is the best, since it is very much a matter of personal opinion and everyone is different. You may have slightly larger fingers, palms, hands or a stronger/weaker grip etc which will all affect you rate a specific pistol.

hth

TheWombat