this_is_nascar

Your Opinion - Beretta 92FS as 1st 9MM Handgun

Thanks again guys, but for whatever reason, this thread has morphed into a "which 9mm should I buy" thread, instead of the intended purpose of specifically asking about opinions/comments on the Beretta 92FS :).

I agree....

I had a 92FS...... I sold it........... I wish I had it back. And its on my list to get again...

What's your thought and opinions of a Beretta 92FS as a 1st and probably only, 9mm handgun?

Picking one up a new one on Saturday morning, you are welcome to come to CJ and try her out. The first one I shot was the 92 S back in 1983, this was the trial gun for the military replacing the 1911. It is a great gun that will take lots of abuse.

Thanks again everyone. My only real concern, after seeing/reading more about the 92-FS, would be the exposed barrel. I'd think that would be huge opportunity to become a dirt/gunk collector causing jams and mis-feeds. Everything I've read says they are highly reliable, but that exposed barrel is the 1st I've seen on a semi-auto.

Thanks again everyone. My only real concern, after seeing/reading more about the 92-FS, would be the exposed barrel. I'd think that would be huge opportunity to become a dirt/gunk collector causing jams and mis-feeds. Everything I've read says they are highly reliable, but that exposed barrel is the 1st I've seen on a semi-auto.

Actually, it's quite the opposite with the open slide design on the 92's... The open slide pretty much eliminates jamming or stovepiping, as it does away with the ejection port. And if ever needed it allows you to easily load a round in the chamber, one round at a time, if your mag becomes damaged or if you lose it.

I think that another one of the reasons for the open design is to lighten up the slide to make it cycle faster.

Glock 34/35 have open slides and they are routinely used on tac teams. The Beretta 92FS is a fine weapon. Can't go wrong.

You mean the cut out at the front of the slide or is this a special slide for tac teams?

You mean the cut out at the front of the slide or is this a special slide for tac teams?

Nope. I believe the cutout actually is for weight reduction so that the G34 can use the same recoil spring assembly as the G17.

Well, I got to hold the 92-FS. It felt nice in my hand. It felt thicker than the SR9, but not nearly as thick as the Sig P226. It's obviosly a bit heavier than the SR9, but not enough to be a factor. My biggest concern is the sights on the 92-FS. There not adjustable at all, whereas the SR9 is fully adjustable. Also, the 92-FS is a couple hundred bucks more than the SR9. What to do, what to do........................

I have a 92 fs in inox. Let me tell you this. Dont believe the hype when it.comes to people saying the 92 can't do this or is too heavy or whatever crap they spew. The 92 is a great all around gun. Can you get something that is more specialized for bullseye accuracy, competition, or ccw? Yes you can. However as a multi purpose weapon the 92 kicks a**. It's accurate, reliable, durable and not susceptible to failure. Parts are inexpensive, and there is a lot of aftermarket things you can get for it. I shot approx 10k rounds thru mine with no problems. I've shot uspsa matches, I've shot steel matches and the gun keeps running. Thats 10k rounds in about 1 years time. Pick the gun up, does it feel good? Do you like it? Then buy it.

Dont listen to people who say things about the safety levers or how its double action and blah blah blah. Have they put 10k rounds thru the gun? I have. The safety levers dont just magically engage or disengage. They aren't in the way, and with very little practice you can flick it off in no time. Thats if you even need to engage it. Thats the thing with a DA first shot. It has a little longer and a little harder trigger pull so you can have one in the chamber and still be safe. As for the DA first shot you can overcome that with a little practice. I'm no bullseye shooter but I shot a steel match with a few forum members and I doubt they will say I had problems hitting plates with my first shot. Side note, Ben Stoeger took Nationals in USPSA with a Beretta.

The ONLY thing I would say is a drawback is the lack of rail on the front and a removable front sight. Oh wait they solved that by introducing the Beretta 92A1. Same gun as the 92fs with removable front sight and an accessory rail.

So thats my mini review of the beretta 92. I typed it on my phone on my lunch break so forgive any errors.

Final note, if you do buy it and end up hating it, sell it. Trust me someone will buy it. I might even buy it. Its not like you are forced to keep it.

• Like 2

The ONLY thing I would say is a drawback is the lack of rail on the front and a removable front sight. Oh wait they solved that by introducing the Beretta 92A1. Same gun as the 92fs with removable front sight and an accessory rail.

So thats my mini review of the beretta 92. I typed it on my phone on my lunch break so forgive any errors.

Final note, if you do buy it and end up hating it, sell it. Trust me someone will buy it. I might even buy it. Its not like you are forced to keep it.

+1 That's exactly why I bought the 92A1 instead of the 92FS... It has the rail and the removeable sight.

And for anyone worried about the DA trigger pull being heavy, you can do the very easy "D Spring" mod and makes the DA trigger pull VERY manageable. Mine went from a heavy 12 lbs to a nice 9.5 lbs. Yes, I am not as accurate on that first shot as I am in SA... but I'm pretty close to it.

What's your thought and opinions of a Beretta 92FS as a 1st and probably only, 9mm handgun?

My first (and only) semi-auto is a Sig P226 9mm. I had also tried a Glock 19 and a S&W M&P 9mm. My rationale for selecting the Sig was I wanted a full size pistol (never planned to CCW), 15 round capacity, and a solid reputation. The Sig fit the bill for me. Although it wasn't a deal breaker I also prefer DA/SA which the Sig is. I am very happy with the Sig P226 and although I only have around 500 rounds through it I've never had a problem with it.

+1 That's exactly why I bought the 92A1 instead of the 92FS... It has the rail and the removeable sight.

And for anyone worried about the DA trigger pull being heavy, you can do the very easy "D Spring" mod and makes the DA trigger pull VERY manageable. Mine went from a heavy 12 lbs to a nice 9.5 lbs. Yes, I am not as accurate on that first shot as I am in SA... but I'm pretty close to it.

I think I remember talking you into the gun as well as telling you about the D spring mod.

Dev's, you lost me in that last post.

Have you shot or owned any CZ, M&P, FN FNS, Walther PPQ, Almost any 1911, They all have far nicer triggers than a stock glock.

If you feel a stock glock trigger is nice with a clean break, come to the range with me, and shoot any of my guns.

My 60 year old German Makarov has a nicer trigger than any new stock glock.

As far as ergonomics, it is not a myth, I have bought and sold 3 gen 3 glocks, because the ergonomics resembled a brick. The Gen 4's are FAR better, but you either find glocks comfy or you don't.

Back to the OP. The Beretta 92fs is a fantastic first handgun, mild recoil, accurate gun, cheap and plentiful accessories. It was the handgun on which I learned how to shoot.

Got to agree with you about ergononics. They just don't sit right in your hand and I also found them very uncomfortable.

Dev's, you lost me in that last post.

Have you shot or owned any CZ, M&P, FN FNS, Walther PPQ, Almost any 1911, They all have far nicer triggers than a stock glock.

If you feel a stock glock trigger is nice with a clean break, come to the range with me, and shoot any of my guns.

My 60 year old German Makarov has a nicer trigger than any new stock glock.

As far as ergonomics, it is not a myth, I have bought and sold 3 gen 3 glocks, because the ergonomics resembled a brick. The Gen 4's are FAR better, but you either find glocks comfy or you don't.

Back to the OP. The Beretta 92fs is a fantastic first handgun, mild recoil, accurate gun, cheap and plentiful accessories. It was the handgun on which I learned how to shoot.

I've shot 92s, M&Ps (with and without APEX triggers), XDs, and 1911s. While I don't really have preferences for 'best trigger', the Glock is the most predictable for me. You pull it for a bit until you reach the break, and then it breaks like glass. Reset is crisp, I don't even need to let the trigger take-up all the way, I just feel it click, and pull again. The only trigger which is superior to them all is that on a (series 70) 1911, but that's because it's pretty much a single action.

Works for me I guess. I just like that I can pick up any of my Glocks and shoot them all competently regardless of their size or caliber and need no modification out of the box... except for night sights...

Got to agree with you about ergononics. They just don't sit right in your hand and I also found them very uncomfortable.

I guess it's subjective. I noticed my grip and where my finger indexes on the side of the pistol is pretty much the same as pointing my finger 'like a gun'. Makes it a bit more natural to me.

For the Glock it really depends on which model you are talking about. If you are talking about the large frame guns like G20/21, G17/22/31/34/35 then yes the ergo is not as good because of the grip size.

I never had issues with the compact or smaller size guns. G19/23/32/26/27 etc.. all the controls are within reach and although the grip is not one of the most comfortable, assures a solid grip and points perfectly for me. The "block" shape of the grip actually gives me a more solid grip. I didn't have any issues with a G19Gen3, love shooting that thing and the Gen4 improved on it a bit.

Seems to me Glocks either fits some people and does not work with others at all. It all depends on hand shape/size and personal preference.

Why is this thread reverting back to a glock discussion yet again? Get the glock out!

Once the OP decided that the 92 may not have been his best choice, where else did you think it was gonna go?

I've shot 92s, M&Ps (with and without APEX triggers), XDs, and 1911s. While I don't really have preferences for 'best trigger', the Glock is the most predictable for me. You pull it for a bit until you reach the break, and then it breaks like glass. Reset is crisp, I don't even need to let the trigger take-up all the way, I just feel it click, and pull again. The only trigger which is superior to them all is that on a (series 70) 1911, but that's because it's pretty much a single action.

I was with you until the "breaks like glass" part. I have shot a lot of Glocks, some with fancy triggerwork, and I would not use the glass rod analogy to describe any of them.

I like the consistency of a Glock/LEM/M&P trigger, but I personally wouldn't compare it favorably to a 1911 or even a good S&W revolver in single action.