Pizza Bob

TV and Guns

Most of the sounds effects are put in post-production by "foley artists", that may account for the lack of recoil.

IMFDB has some good shots of blanks ejected by movie guns.

For example, see this page about the movie The Transporter and scroll to the bottom

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Transporter,_The

Just a few off top of my head:

- Explosions that apparently have no concussive force, so that people survive unharmed just a small distance away if they just avoid the "fireball". Even worse when the explosions happen indoors....

- Magical couches and wood tables that are apparently bullet proof

- Never ending bullets especially when firing on auto

- Shooting someone that's running in the leg from like 25-50 yards away with a pistol

- Lack of recoil & muzzle flash

How about the Hawaii 5.0 episode where they do a hot takedown of some drug dealers...when one of 'em runs, the lead guy ditches his AR15 and chases him with the pistol, or just about every cop show where the detectives are the first guy through the doorway with their pistols while all the SWAT guys have carbines. Worse still...they enter, pose in the doorway for 5 seconds, you know, so they are perfectly silhouetted then go about clearing the room ahead of the guys in full riot gear.

I generally hate seeing low budget movies where guns are "firing" but really people are just acting like they are shooting and the rest is effects. You cant tell me someone running though a firefight has the hammer decocked on a 1911.

It is hard to sell GFX on gunshots. A lot if heaped on the actor to sell it properly. However, the insurance required for using functioning firearms over dummies is cripplingly expensive.

You need all the same licenses and coverage as if you were shooting live ammunition. It is easy to see why/how corners get cut.

I generally hate seeing low budget movies where guns are "firing" but really people are just acting like they are shooting and the rest is effects. You cant tell me someone running though a firefight has the hammer decocked on a 1911.

I love it when they load a mag. without racking the slide and start firing! sheesh that's corny, it ruins a movie!

I'll actually do that with my rifle sometimes, i'll leave one in the chamber so it will continue to cycle. I'm not saying the people in the movies intentionally leave one in the chamber, but its nice to think they do

Had to laugh at this one: In the first episode of that new series "Alcatraz", the cops are trying to track a bad guy (who is a time traveling felon escaped from Alcatraz who has been officially dead for 30 years...don't ask) who is known for using a specific type of "high-powered sniper rifle". They go into a gun store, and ask the clerk if he has sold any of those weapons recently. He says, yes, some guy just bought one a couple days ago. But he has no record at all of the guy's name or address, and it's a dead-end for the cops because the purchaser used "a pre-paid credit card." And all this happened in California!! The thing is, most people who just hate guns and don't know anything about them assume that's true--you can just walk into a store in The Peoples Republic of California and walk out with a "high-powered sniper rifle," using a fake name, non-existent address and nothing else. Love it.