Pizza Bob

TV and Guns

Watched Law & Order SVU last night. Early in the show, the detectives are on the scene of a double homocide when the CSI tech comes up to them with a spent bullet found in the wall. The first detective says, "Full metal jacket." To which the second one says, "Yeah, Winchester, .357 Sig."

Details like that bug the heck out of me. Miracle forensic detective that can look at a spent, probably deformed bullet and tell the maker and exact caliber - that's amazing - and annoying.

Another one of my favorites is when the bad/good guy with a Glock sneaks up behind someone, puts the gun to their head and you hear the sound of a hammer cocking.

For those of us old enough to remember when Westerns rulled the TV airwaves, there was always the ubiquitous six-shooter that never ran out of bullets.

How about some of your favorite TV gun gaffes? Please share.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

PS: For those of us that still read, in addition to TV, Stephen Hunter is one of my favorites and he ALWAYS gets the gun-stuff right.

Or the indoor shoot outs. After shooting stops the one guy calls out if everyones ok- I think my ears would be bleeding and unable to hear a thing. Also the one-handed semi hg draw that audibles the slide racking.

I've been watching some Stargate shows and have thought about some of this stuff lately:

I love it when they rack the slide as the argument escalates... so you mean all this time, while they were pointing guns at each other .... nobody had a round in the chamber?

I thought about the infinite round magazine - my explanation is that the reloading is usually just not shown ... think of that part just being edited out.

Another thing is when an unarmed good guy beats a bad guy unconcious, takes his gun... but doesn't take any extra magazines .... so then, tough guy, all you have is a maximum of 17 rounds to deal with whoever else you have to deal with....

The last thing that annoys the crap out of me is when they just thow out the spent magazines. Those things cost money and not in limitless supply, y'know...

Racking.... and re-racking....... and re-re-racking shotguns.........

This, but you forgot that no shells are ever ejected.

Also, the LEO that draws and racks the slide and no ctg comes out. You really mean to tell me that LEOs carry Condition 3?

All the things you guys mentioned are kind of harmless. But how's this.

Maybe it was on CSI...They're tracking a pistol in upstate NY and are told to check dealers in a 100 mile radius. So they have a dealer from Conn, on the stand and ask him why the defendant would travel 100 miles to a Conn gun shop. He says because the gun laws are more lax in Conn than NY.

Now the perp was a NY state resident....We all know you can't do that. But the A$$ hole public doesn't and thinks it's a loop hole.

This, but you forgot that no shells are ever ejected.

Also, the LEO that draws and racks the slide and no ctg comes out. You really mean to tell me that LEOs carry Condition 3?

I am not allowed to carry my shotgun with one in the chamber. Handgun yes but ar,mp5, and shotgun must be carried ith n empty chamber and safety on

I am not allowed to carry my shotgun with one in the chamber. Handgun yes but ar,mp5, and shotgun must be carried ith n empty chamber and safety on

Sorry, my second comment was directed towards handguns. Being that any long gun you are carrying on duty is usually not on your person (in the trunk, between the seats, or wherever you may keep it), I wouldn't imagine you would carry it with a round in the chamber. The first comment was more that people on tv shows will rack a shotgun 2 or 3 or even more times and a shell never ejects, and then they go and fire it.

Whats condition 3?

Loaded magazine, no round in the chamber, hammer down. In other words, you have to rack the slide after you draw.

Another thing is when an unarmed good guy beats a bad guy unconcious, takes his gun... but doesn't take any extra magazines .... so then, tough guy, all you have is a maximum of 17 rounds to deal with whoever else you have to deal with....

Along those same lines, when there's a gun fight and the good guy kills a bad guy and just keeps walking, without taking his gun/ammo. At least in video games, you'll get additional ammo everyone once in a while after killing an enemy. If it were me, I'd want the extra firepower. Even if the bad guy(s) used a different caliber than I did, I'd at least take one of their guns. I can only carry so much ammo and it'll eventually run out.

All the things you guys mentioned are kind of harmless. But how's this.

Maybe it was on CSI...They're tracking a pistol in upstate NY and are told to check dealers in a 100 mile radius. So they have a dealer from Conn, on the stand and ask him why the defendant would travel 100 miles to a Conn gun shop. He says because the gun laws are more lax in Conn than NY.

Now the perp was a NY state resident....We all know you can't do that. But the A$$ hole public doesn't and thinks it's a loop hole.

That episode was just on last night. Guy had a .32ACP semi auto and the other gun from CT was a .32ACP revolver.

They did make it seem that it was easy to get a gun in CT and bring it back to NY, total BS. You certainly are not walking into a CT gunshop as a NY resident and buying a handgun to bring back to NY.

One that really irritated me was a CSI where the guy had access to "high powered automatic weapons". There were the investigations of the round that went through a concrete wall, through a house, across the street and through another wall and killed someone.

Then there were the excited proclamations of the bad guy holding the gun at hip level, with the trigger depressed "This is better than sex!!". And that's basically all the guy did...just ran around, shooting the "high powered automatic weapon" in full auto with the unlimited magazine. Oh, an I think those super powered bullets were just garden variety 5.56 fired out of an M16.

Don't you mean "Hammer Penising"? :)

I wrote about male pheasants in flight in a hunting thread and it was changed to penis-bird, lol! So how about that cock-bird? Man did it ever fly!

As far as gaffs, how about a room full of guns being racked for the second time in the same scene, same room together, and no live rounds hit the floor!

First thing that comes to mind is the movie The Quick and the Dead. Gene Hackman gets shot and it makes a perfect, clean hole straight through his body so that a little beam of light can make its way through and shine down on his shadow.

PS: For those of us that still read, in addition to TV, Stephen Hunter is one of my favorites and he ALWAYS gets the gun-stuff right.

I did download the entire Bob Lee Swagger series recently, haven't gotten around to starting it yet though.

The last thing that annoys the crap out of me is when they just thow out the spent magazines. Those things cost money and not in limitless supply, y'know...

Are you talking about in Stargate? They work for the goverment, since when did the goverment care about wasting money. :rofl:
  • Like 1

I love it when they rack the slide as the argument escalates... so you mean all this time, while they were pointing guns at each other .... nobody had a round in the chamber?

A true story. When my older brother served in Soviet Air Force, he was on a convoy detachment guarding a train with arms and materiel en route from one base to another, or someplace else in Ukraine. He and a few others had a leave at some station, and went to buy something at the station store. It was in bitterly cold winter, with waist-high snow. When they returned back to the train, they didn't want to hoof it to their car and tried to jump into the closest car at the tail of the train, which happened to be guarded by an armed sentry. The guy got really nervous and agitated, and told ordered them to halt, back off and so on. In excitement, he racked his AK several times, sending a few cartridges into the snow around his post. The group laughed at him for being a dumbass who'll be responsible for the loss of the ammo, but then an officer emerged from the car, assessed the situation, and considering that the sentry still had to stand his guard, ordered THEM to find the lost cartridges in the snow, down to every damn last one.

Are you talking about in Stargate? They work for the goverment, since when did the goverment care about wasting money. :rofl:

He he, I was thinking about that... but this was Stargate: Atlantis, they're in another galaxy, the logistics of gettign Uncle Same to ship more mags and that nice, very expensive 5.7×28mm ammo would be supposedly more difficult... and I've seen that on other shows as well...