robot_hell

Recommend a fixed blade for camping

Looking into a better fixed blade. Its purpose would be general camping use, up to and including splitting small pieces of wood. I'd like it to be as versatile as possible without giving up suitability for that purpose, though. Can someone make a recommendation? Price range up to $150.

If your budget is $150, buy yourself 5 Mora Bushcraft Triflex knives! I own one and use it for camping/hiking and it's light weight, tough, and can get really sharp. Best of all, they cost $26!

http://www.amazon.co..._pr_product_top

Mora also makes a bunch of other models that are really good too. I also have a Mora Clipper (carbon steel) and it's a great knife. I think it cost me $12. Best of all, you don't feel bad about using and abusing them. Mora's are very highly regarded in the Survivalist community for their toughness and low price.

I like the size of the Mora knives and would recommend you stick to blades 5" or less. The thing with larger knives, like the Kabar, is that they aren't practical for camping or general outdoors situations. The Kabar is probably awesome at hand to hand combat in the trenches, but it's size just makes it unwieldy for a outdoorsman. Just my opinion of course...

Best all around camping knife I've found that isn't a $400 Busse or similar is an ESEE. I've got an RAT-4 (now called an ESEE-4) with my camping gear and it's awesome. My only real regret is not getting the 5 or 6"... I've found that a slightly longer blade would be better for my needs. It's not too expensive, and it's tough as hell.

I have these, very versitile (chop, cut, slice) and both are well made. Kukri is certianly larger being a machete style knife, and wouldnt be suited to delicate work. Don't let it being classed as a machete fool you, comes with a nice edge, very sharp. Recon Scout is more manueverable , but still fairly large. It is a great all purpose no-frills fixed blad. Big stout spine, good edge, good steel, good grip, you get the idea. I always have a smaller folder with me for the delicate stuff, and keep the larger fixed blades for the big stuff.

Both of these are high carbon steel, which makes for a great tough tool steel, but it will rust if any exposed steel is not protected with oil. They both come epoxy coated, but it will eventually wear off. Think of it just like you would take care of a gun, quick wipe down of your favorite gun oil/protectant and you are set for awhile. Plus if any rust does occur, a little scrub with scotch bright or other abrasive will quickly remove any surface rust. They are working knives, meant to be used.

Cold Steel Recon Scout

http://www.knifecenter.com/item/CS39LRST/cold-steel-recon-scout-7-1-2-inch-sk-5

CS39LRST.jpg

Kabar Kukri

http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/KA1249/ka-bar-kukri-machete-11-1-2-inch-blade-leather

KA1249a.jpg

Define camping .. Do you plan to chop down your own hut? The you need a larger blade. For just splitting you can get away with far smaller bushcraft type knives with battoning. On the larger, sharpened pry bar, end of the spectrum I really like my Becker BK-2, it really is built like a steam locomotive. On th smaller side I love my Fallkniven F1

6062039429_c0ab5f5bf0.jpg

Yea, I guess it depends what you're looking for. Here's what I keep in my truck tool-box to be used while camping. I use it for just about everything and anything that requires cutting or sawing. I think I've even hammered with it before. It's great for slicing up watermelon and cantalope, which we eat quite often in the summer.

s7_517691_999_02.jpg

http://www.cabelas.c...ch-All+Products

The Rough Use knives from CTD get some very good scores on http://www.knifetests.com/

Watch what these guys do to knives and what they put them through. Then think about how you treat or use your knife...

The best knife out there for this type of camping, rough use, survivalist stuff has been and will be for awhile the Busse fusion Battle Mistress, if you can find one or afford one. If $$$ is an issue, as it is with me, the Rough Use or the Glock Field Knives are great buys. if your looking for something less scary, the Bucks, the KBars and Falknivven ($$$$) knives are great for rough use.

If this is just general camp chores, line cutting, steak slicing, cheese cutting, a Mora Bushcraft Survival knife would work great. Try here, this is a local NJ guy with a little web store. http://edcdepot.com/

this is what I carry in my pack.. it is a little less a knife and a little more multipurpose camp tool.. very heavy duty and will get it done.. chopping.. prying.. hacking.. etc.. like I said maybe not as conventional.. but I also carry a simple folder for regular knife duty..

kbar2.jpg

kbar3s.jpg

I bought the Becker BK2 . It's built like a tank. However I have an older Smith and Wesson cheap-a** bowie knife I bought a few years back and use it to split firewood for my outfoor firepit. It's just a stainless steel blade but has taken a beating over the last two years . I paid less than 30 bucks and it just won't die.

i have a sog seal pup elite. its a pretty good sized, medium duty knife. it works well for splitting branches, and should meet all of your needs. you can pick one up online or from dicks sporting goods for about $50

id recommend the plain edge simply because its easier to resharpen

this is what I carry in my pack.. it is a little less a knife and a little more multipurpose camp tool.. very heavy duty and will get it done.. chopping.. prying.. hacking.. etc.. like I said maybe not as conventional.. but I also carry a simple folder for regular knife duty..

kbar2.jpg

kbar3s.jpg

Out of curiosity, does the form factor of this knife qualify as a knife in NJ? I'm probably just wishfully thinking, but is there a legal definition of "knife"? Perhaps the absence of a point disqualify it from being restricted?

Just hoping. I'm looking at either buying this one, or an Ontario Kukri.

Erik

Take a look at the Mora knives. Hard to beat for the money.

I've had a few carbon steel Moras and they are very utiliterian.

A knife I've had since Noah was a baby is this Buck #102. Priced by buck $71 it can be had for less and used on ebay for half that.

As long as it's not ground up don't be afraid of a used one. I put an edge on mine yearly and can shave my arm with it and it holds an edge to get through a couple of deer.

It has a stong backbone yet is sized to be used with precision.

http://www.buckknives.com/index.cfm?event=product.detail&productID=3036