jcpg

Zastava NJ compliant conversion

Hi all. I'm picking up my first rifle later this week. The Zastava PAP seems to be a good inexpensive way to be NJ compliant from the get go, but I already have a few mods in mind. I've found this which seems like a decent 922 straight forward stock, sight and rail conversion

622b1c02.jpg

Parts listed

http://www.gunsnet.net/showthread.php?15934-Zastava-PAP-conversion

Does anyone have a similar conversion or experience with an AK/AR stock? Is this a reasonable project for a gun let alone an AK noob?

Ok in all honesty, you can do what you want of course, but a lot of the crap on that thing is unnecessary. Plus it's going to put on quite a few more lbs and will be much heavier. Plus that stock looks adjustable which wouldn't fly here unless it's pinned.

If I were you, I would not buy a PAP. They are nice and all, but are single stack which are kind of a tease.

I would spend the extra hundred bucks and get a double stack AK.

• Like 1

Ok in all honesty, you can do what you want of course, but a lot of the crap on that thing is unnecessary. Plus it's going to put on quite a few more lbs and will be much heavier. Plus that stock looks adjustable which wouldn't fly here unless it's pinned.

If I were you, I would not buy a PAP. They are nice and all, but are single stack which are kind of a tease.

I would spend the extra hundred bucks and get a double stack AK.

+1. IMO, The only reason to get a PAP is the beautiful (second to none I have ever seen) wood furniture. If you are going to get the synnthetic stock version or take off the wood, just get a Saiga. They are $350 from www.centerfiresystems.com and a few other places too. They are Russian made and accept double-stacks. And you won't feel guilty about throwing away the cheap plastic monte carlo stock that comes with it.

• Like 1

non standard furniture is a huge con. And while you cant have 30 rounders here, if you have a double stack rifle you can borrow 30 rounders in PA, or if the SHTF you can use them... and you dont have to pin mags, just buy double stack 10s. They are cheaper than single stack 10s...

• Like 1

that looks terrible..

it basically looks like you took a gun and attempted to stick anything to it.. it is IMHO a gun based around a look as opposed to a function.. all that bulky rail and then MORE rail to mount a light... silly..

I run an AK that has a red dot and a flashlight and it is FAR more streamlined than that mess.. I had a big rail on the front of my AK and honestly.. it was bulky and annoying..

i do not trust dust cover optic mounts..

I just don't understand the gun..if you have range time with the magpul AFG it is going to put your thumb right on the side of the rifle.. ideally you want the light or remote switch there.. so you are not breaking weapon control to activate the light..

also just looking at it.. the pistol grip looks really swept back..

you should have gotten the gun you WANTED be it a pap.. wasr.. saiga.. etc.. buying a gun based solely off of what is in stock is not the move to make..

a gun is an individual thing.. and there is NO "right or wrong" when it comes to how you lay it out.. but the parts choices should be logical..

I am NOT saying "look at my gun you have to do it that way" but that gun as posted makes no sense to me at all..

• Like 1

that looks terrible..

it basically looks like you took a gun and attempted to stick anything to it.. it is IMHO a gun based around a look as opposed to a function.. all that bulky rail and then MORE rail to mount a light... silly..

I run an AK that has a red dot and a flashlight and it is FAR more streamlined than that mess.. I had a big rail on the front of my AK and honestly.. it was bulky and annoying..

i do not trust dust cover optic mounts..

I just don't understand the gun..if you have range time with the magpul AFG it is going to put your thumb right on the side of the rifle.. ideally you want the light or remote switch there.. so you are not breaking weapon control to activate the light..

also just looking at it.. the pistol grip looks really swept back..

you should have gotten the gun you WANTED be it a pap.. wasr.. saiga.. etc.. buying a gun based solely off of what is in stock is not the move to make..

a gun is an individual thing.. and there is NO "right or wrong" when it comes to how you lay it out.. but the parts choices should be logical..

I am NOT saying "look at my gun you have to do it that way" but that gun as posted makes no sense to me at all..

I trust your opinion especially after reviewing the AR section seeing your collection of rifles and knowledge. I think I'm more so torn on form factor, but like the idea of AK reliability. Not saying the AK std furniture looks bad, but somehow I fancy something without wood. So with that in mind id like to get the PAP get a side mount rail for a decent likely more expensive than my rifle optic. The stock is preference, but I'm willing to change my mind for better function. I actually always wanted the PAP, but later wanted the Saiga as my 1st choice because of the superior amount of options. So when I arrived at the store and they didn't have any Saigas left the PAP was already on the way in its place. I decided on the PAP, but at this point It looks like everyone here seems to not prefer it at all. Like u said it will be mine whatever I chose and I just hope to choose with the experience of this forum to help.

For what it's worth, the build quality of my PAP was excellent. Thick metal construction (some prefer the heavier milled feel and some the lighter stamped feel), good accuracy at 150 yards, light recoil. I don't think you should feel much buyer's remorse. Also, if you decide to sell and get something else, the low price means that you aren't going to lose much on it either. My only advice would be if you want to start adding multiple doodads, then consider the benefits of the better AK pattern rifles. If you are only going to throw a light and a scope rail, then have at it with your PAP. Good luck, and enjoy it.

I trust your opinion especially after reviewing the AR section seeing your collection of rifles and knowledge. I think I'm more so torn on form factor, but like the idea of AK reliability. Not saying the AK std furniture looks bad, but somehow I fancy something without wood. So with that in mind id like to get the PAP get a side mount rail for a decent likely more expensive than my rifle optic. The stock is preference, but I'm willing to change my mind for better function. I actually always wanted the PAP, but later wanted the Saiga as my 1st choice because of the superior amount of options. So when I arrived at the store and they didn't have any Saigas left the PAP was already on the way in its place. I decided on the PAP, but at this point It looks like everyone here seems to not prefer it at all. Like u said it will be mine whatever I chose and I just hope to choose with the experience of this forum to help.

I got an AK platform gun at first.. because I am poor.. lol and AKs are cheap..

but once I had some time really operating (and abusing the platform) I developed a love for its simplicity.. the gun is fool proof.. I have put my Saiga in dirt.. sand.. snow.. etc.. and it keeps on running.. NO problem.. I am a "tacticool" dork.. I like that stuff.. I like rails.. lights.. optics.. etc.. it is just how I am.. I like to maximize everything I have.. nothing is ever left "stock" so I purchased an ultimak gas tube (with rail) and an ultimak tri rail for my Saiga.. the best of the best.. absolutely rock solid mounting.. and it was great.. ran with it for a while.. even had an AFG on it..

this was that gun...

saiga.jpg

but then as I really started to push my shooting.. and really started to move more I realized how the gun was bulkier than it really needed to be.. I realized that by utilizing the right parts I could slim the gun down substantially.. and doing that would make the gun even easier to operate.. my AK still has plenty of "tacticoolness" but the difference now is I have learned what works (for me) and what does not.. this is my AK (Saiga) now.. still has a light.. still has optics.. has adjustable stock (Im in PA).. sling.. the whole deal.. but I got rid of the nonsense that was making the gun heavier and bulkier than it needed to be.. you do not have to model your gun after mine.. my answer is not the "right answer" but I think what you can take from this is that IMO you want a gun to be mobile.. there is no sense in making it heavier.. or bulkier than it needs to be to accomplish the given task.. you can outfit it with "parts" but use parts that are of high quality.. and pick parts that will work well together.. sometimes less is better..

saiga762finalvlad.JPG

my ONLY concern about the pap picture you posted is how far swept back the pistol grip looks.. I am not sure that would be comfortable..

and a lot of the parts look poorly made..

...Thick metal construction (some prefer the heavier milled feel and some the lighter stamped feel),

For the record, the PAP is stamped just like any other AKM varient. It is 1.5mm vs to common 1mm, however. This is the same thickness as the RPK. The yugos used the heavier reciever (and bulged trunnion) to stand up to frequent grenade launching, since their M70s had integrated launchers. It is still substantially lighter and cheaper than a milled receiver.

For the record, the PAP is stamped just like any other AKM varient. It is 1.5mm vs to common 1mm, however. This is the same thickness as the RPK. The yugos used the heavier reciever (and bulged trunnion) to stand up to frequent grenade launching, since their M70s had integrated launchers. It is still substantially lighter and cheaper than a milled receiver.

Glen, that's why I went with "feel", since it is stamped but heavier than a normal stamped receiver. Thanks for the clarification though, since it might sway the purchaser one way or the other.