Bully

Looking for a .22 for my kid-need help

Just like it says, I am looking for a .22 for my stepson. Who knew there were so many choices? Rifle will be used for target practice (he's an eleven year old newb), general range time and he will want to "mod" it. Any suggestions? I'd like to keep it on the inexpensive side, as things are not hugely liquid. However, if it's something he sticks with and will enjoy, I'm willing to take the plunge. Also, when he's done with it, I would like to be able to enjoy it.

In recommending, please be specific. If it were 1911's, I would understand most of it, however being it's a rifle and not something I'm way into, I don't know all that much.

Thanks and I look forward to the help.

C

Ruger and Remmington both make decent inexpensive 22's. I assume you are looking for a rifle. Bet you can find used guns for sale also. I think I paid $150 for my Rem used and $225 or so for my Ruger new.

Bolt actions would be even less money and no feed issues. Also teaches them to make the shot count, they won't have nine more to follow-up with!

Oooops! Yup, looking for a rifle. He wants a semi, and I'm not opposed to it. It looks like to me that there are more "mod" options for the semi's. Am I missing anything? Also, is it worth it to get a target model with a heavy barrel or just go with the least expensive and let him figure it out from there?

C

What's the price point? .22 rifles cost from $100 to $500+

For what it's worth, I'm looking at purchasing my son (12 years old, good shooter) a S&W M&P15-22. It's a gun that he will not easily get bored with and he can mod it until his heart's content.

Marlin 795! Cheap (got mine for $100 after $25 rebate from Marlin) and super accurate right out of the box! Out of the box it is a better gun than the 10/22. The 10/22 can be made very nice with lots of modifications, but that also costs a lot of money!

Want to make the 795 even better? Put a set of Tech Sights on it (this is what I use) and it'll be a tack driver... or throw a nice little scope on it and you're set! I probably will try putting a scope on mine sometime in the future... but I can shoot out to 100 yrds with the tech sights without a problem.

Did a bunch of research today. Lookin' like the 10/22 is going to be the way to go for me. He's gonna want to build an SR replica. And it seems the aftermarket is huge for that rifle. Now, if I could a gently used Target...

Anyway, thanks all for the help and words of wisdom.

C

Just picked him up a 10/22 stainless with black synthetic stock. Should be just fine for him as he's just gonna tear into it as soon as his birthday comes around and he has the $$$. We'll see which way he goes with it. Maybe I'll take him to a range on monday evening so he can get a feel for it. I also got him a used scope off another site. Should I wait to give him the whole thing? I don't know... I'll need to ponder that a bit.

C

Just to jump on the bandwagon and make the conventional choice: Ruger 10/22. It's a great, great gun for beginners, is inexpensive and has soooo much potential for customization, modification, upgrades, etc. He can make that gun into whatever he wants or just keep it as is and treasure his first gun from his Dad. Either way he wins.

Great choice on the 10/22. For my son, he uses the scope for outdoor target shooting up to 100 yards. I also have a multi reticle reflex for indoors and steel matches. I switched out the stock for an Archangel Target Stock, which is great for target bench work through tactical run&gun zombies. Pick up a tri-mag adapter, it attached 3 stock mags together for some quick zombie blasting.

Hey FastD. Thanks for that. I think he will be looking at the Archangel MP5 looking thing. Not my cup of tea, but that's fine.

The rifle is something that I want as well. I would like the Target model, however. Not just a good looker, but shoots well, too. At least that's what I hear. Maybe when he "outgrows" it...

C

Here is a link to the target stock : http://www.midwayusa.com/product/217060/promag-archangel-deluxe-target-rifle-stock-system-ruger-10-22-sythetic-black

I also like that G36 stock, but there are some issues. The top rail is great for a red dot, but a bit high for a scope. The 3rd party mags are a bit flaky and frustrating to use , and as we are limited to 10 round ( no 15 round options on this one) we are stuck with using the stock mags, now that kit does not look as cool. You also have to pin the folding stock. That all said, I will still build one in the future, but on a used black frame. You do need to remove the front and rear sight, and the black action will not be noticeable on the seams. it is on my list to get for this year, but will still keep the current 10/22.

Hey Alec. He's going to be 12 in 2 months. And, I did think about the one round at a time thing. I can just make him load the mag one at a time if he gets too trigger happy. That'll slow him down.

FastD, as for him using anything other that what I am giving him, that's going to be his call. He can make mistakes and learn from them.

C

How old ?

A ruger 10/22 is a good choice, but you might want to think about a bolt action or lever action rifle so that he is limited to one shot per squeeze to concentrate on the safety and fundamentals

But then you can get that proud father face when the kid mag dumps it and get them all on target... :icon_mrgreen:

Hey Alec. He's going to be 12 in 2 months. And, I did think about the one round at a time thing. I can just make him load the mag one at a time if he gets too trigger happy. That'll slow him down.

FastD, as for him using anything other that what I am giving him, that's going to be his call. He can make mistakes and learn from them.

C

Ruger makes a one round magazine just for training purposes, loading one round at a time will probably work, but just throwing this out there for you.

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/ruger-1022-long-rifle-round-black-magazine-90344-p-126679.html

Did a bunch of research today. Lookin' like the 10/22 is going to be the way to go for me. He's gonna want to build an SR replica. And it seems the aftermarket is huge for that rifle. Now, if I could a gently used Target...

Anyway, thanks all for the help and words of wisdom.

C

I would stay away from the heavy barrelled target and get a carbine 10/22. Also, I would buy an older one. The ones that were made in the last two or three years, are not made as well.

Ruger makes a one round magazine just for training purposes, loading one round at a time will probably work, but just throwing this out there for you.

http://www.ableammo....4-p-126679.html

I might invest in the extended mag release and a bolt buffer.