Sign in to follow this  
BigAl

Bet you didn't now this about IBM

So I was listening to John Batchelor on my drive home last night and he had a guest on, Edwin Black. From what I gathered he is an investigative journalist. The topic of discussion was IBM and the holocaust, you may ask what does one have to do with the other, as I did. Well, Mr. Black wrote a whole book about it titled IBM and The Holocaust. I must say after listening to that interview I was pretty disgusted with IBM and how they have been stonewalling about this, and going as far as trying to remove any evidence of this. IBM, to my knowledge has never addressed this.

Mr. Black has updated the book with new documentation that he has discovered. He writes a recent article about it http://www.huffingtonpost.com/edwin-black/ibm-holocaust_b_1301691.html (i know its huff po, sorry). This makes me look at IBM in a whole new light.

The gist of the book is that the Nazis used hollerith card technology extensively to conduct censuses of their occupied countries (which led to you know what)

As is typical of American corporations of the period IBM was mainly concerned with repatriating their profits.

I recently read "In the Garden of Beasts" about the new US Ambassador to Germany appointed by FDR in 1933.

Seems one of the major concerns that the State Dept kept hammering into him was to make sure the Germans pay on their bonds.

Listen is it messed up. Yeah. But things happened 60 years ago. Nothing makes the Holocaust right by any stretch of the imagination. But to write an article like this he is probably driving a BMW watching a Japanese made TV eating Raman noodles out of a bowel made in China.

• Like 1

Yea, it is irrelevant. The majority of technological and other pursuits in the 20th century (and of course far back into history) were developed for the defense industry-- of numerous countries. If we opted to not utilize certain tools because of the human cost, we would arguably still be in the Stone Age.

Now, the argument that technology = progress... well, that's a different story...

I agree that this is irrelevant... This happened a long time ago, and many things have happened in the world since then. I'm not an IBM sympathiser (I have dealt with IBM in my job for years and not a fan of the company), but what IBM is today has nothing to do with the IBM that existed during that time.

I knew it but I didn't now it.

I'm also not sure what kind of intentional complicity or even knowledge existed. It seems nobody knew anything until the end of the war, unless we want to stick it to somebody and then everybody in the world knew from the beginning.

I'm also not sure what kind of intentional complicity or even knowledge existed. It seems nobody knew anything until the end of the war, unless we want to stick it to somebody and then everybody in the world knew from the beginning.

"On that day in 1941, IBM's top attorney, Harrison Chauncey, visited the State Department to express qualms about the company's extensive involvement with Hitler. The State Department memo recorded that Chauncey feared "that his company may some day be blamed for cooperating with the Germans.""

"newly released copy of a subsequent letter dated June 10, 1941, drafted by IBM's New York office, confirms that IBM headquarters personally directed the activities of its Dutch subsidiary set up in 1940 to identify and liquidate the Jews of Holland"

Not only did they know it, but they assisted in it. I guess as a Jew my thoughts on this are different than most. Especially for a US company that had its hand in the "final solution"

Allianz tried to get the naming rights to Giants stadium...Allianz is one of the largest and oldest german insurance companies.

Allianz did everything in its power to steal art and money from the jews and insure it for the state of germany.

Its now a multi billion global corporation.

If you think it means nothing now, then ask Allianz why they could not get naming rights to Giants stadium.

When a company's acts are egregious enough, people notice. Braun used to make V2 rockets, now you buy their razors and coffee machines.

BMW made engines for the planes of the wuftlafa.(sorry).

I bought my wife a benz, its made in Alabama. I have a walther, its put together by S&W in Mass.

I feel good knowing my grandfather got a bronze star on June 23'rd 1944 for shelling and killing 19 germans in an encampment on Aqueville France...

We are all connected by the purchases we decide to make...

I worked for American Cyanamid. Guess what they made during the war?

I worked at a site that made polio vaccine, and baby vaccines to be distributed to the third world for free. Partially funded by Bill Gates.

So I can't make any sense of any of this stuff.

And Hitler was Time magazine 'Man of the year' in 1938. The point?

Huh? Time didn't print articles on how to organize and keep track for those that were going to the gas chambers, concentration camps, ghetto, or forced labor.