Vlad G

Big news in the fight to carry

Finally, a judge that gets it!:

At bottom, this case rests on a simple proposition: If the Government wishes to burden a right guaranteed by the Constitution, it may do so provided that it can show a satisfactory justification and a sufficiently adapted method. The showing, however, is always the Government‘s to make. A citizen may not be required to offer a good and substantial reason why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right‘s existence is all the reason he needs.

• Like 1

A very positive development, but we can be sure it will continue through appeal. Hopefully it will make it to the SCOTUS before more Obama appointees make it to the bench.

Just to get this part out of the way now: No Ray, you cannot carry in NJ. Not yet.

It is a Federal district court which only covers a state or a part of a state. I was actually wrong in that even if goes one step higher to a federal appeals court, NJ and MD are not under the same appeals court so it would need to go all the way to the Supreme Court.

That's what I was going to bring up. MD is the 4th circuit and NJ is 3rd.

Still, a positive ruling in the 4th and a negative in the 3rd would give us the type of split that SCOTUS loves to resolve.

This will definitely help when Muller v Maenza makes it to the 3rd circuit ct of appeals. Remember Judge Walls (NJ District judge who heard the carry case and granted the state summary judgment)? He asked whether Jensen could name one other court that held the 2A applies outside the home. Well, now there is a good answer. This is a very, very good decision and a huge win IMO.

I just read the whole decision. It's not great, but it is really good, and that may be the best we're ever going to see. The judge goes beyond what other courts have said, even courts in his own district, but he's not biting on some of the arguments that Gura made and that we all agree with. That's ok, because the outcome is good and the reasoning in the section that applies (intermediate scrutiny, if anyone wants to read the section that won the case for Wollard) is solid. Here's hoping that MD is just as hard-headed as DC and Chicago were and they appeal it. We already know Muller was appealed, so a split among the circuits is a damn good possibility.

It's a Zombie defense mechanism, take it up with Ray Ray or further explanations :)

Not sure what that means but the judge in question is a cool kat. I'd buy him a beer if I saw him in an irish pub