Parker

Mountain lion sighted in Bergen County?

Have You Seen a Mountain Lion?

Several area residents have reported seeing a big cat — possibly a mountain lion or bobcat — around Westwood, Washington Township and elsewhere over the past few days. The sightings have not been confirmed, according to police. The animal may not even have been a cat, according to animal control officials.

The first local reports came from Westwood residents who said they saw a large cat in Pascack Brook County Park, according to Police Chief Frank Regino. The sightings were made last week but not reported until April 30, so there was not much police could do at the time but notify the board of health, the state and animal control, Regino said.

Tuesday, a resident reported to police that a mountain lion was seen near Garden State Parkway exit 168 in Washington Township. Residents passed rumors that a sighting of a 125-pound mountain lion in the area had been confirmed, but police said they had been unable to verify the claims. "Nothing was confirmed," Regino said. "We haven't heard anything since."

Ho-Ho-Kus Police said reports of a mountain lion sighting near their border with Hillsdale Wednesday were also unverified.

While there are occasional reports of mountain lions in New Jersey, none have ever been verified, according to a representative from the state Department of Environmental Protection.

Carol Tyler of Tyco Animal Control said she has not seen the animal in question and has not yet found any paw prints. Residents may have been seeing a coyote with mange, a disease which causes animals to lose their hair, Tyler said.

"We'll keep an eye out," Tyler said.

Mountain lions can grow as long as eight feet long and weigh 150 pounds. Bobcats, which are classified as an endangered species in New Jersey, can grow three feet long and weigh as much as 40 pounds. Coyotes can grow slightly larger than a bobcat.

In the event of an encounter with a mountain lion, the National Park Service recommends making noise, standing up to appear as large as possible, throwing rocks and sticks and fighting back if a mountain lion attacks.

http://westwood-wash...a-mountain-lion

Wow. Well that is one predator for which you would want to have a gun or knife handy . The National Parks warning should read " if you have been stripped of your rights , the next best thing is to [insert sticks and stones advice] which often does not work"

Attacks are not too common in more rural areas. But we are tighter quarters here and they will be looking to residential areas as a food source ( garbage etc) . If we have a Mountain Lion population explosion you will hear about pets and unfortunately joggers and bicyclists getting attacked.

As someone who frequently runs in the woods, reports of mountain lions in the area terrify me. I have seen plenty of bears, and the black bears of this region are rather docile for the most part, usually fleeing in terror when they see me (which is kind of ironic, considering their large teeth and claws). But mountain lions view us as a food source, and they are reputed to be quite stealthy, so without weapons (which would be the situation for most of us in NJ) one could well end up as part of the food chain.

There is a big difference in size between a mountain lion and bobcat. I once saw a bobcat while in TN. Chances are if they are unsure if it is a mountain lion or bobcat...it is probably a bobcat. I have seen many mountain lion tracks while backpacking in UT and CO. I would think the park service would pick up on the tracks. I used to mountain bike in Ringwood area and always concerned about bears...not much time to react when flying around a bend on bike. The elusive mountain lion in NJ...would be pretty cool.

I would bet a good amount of money that it's just a healthy, well-fed bobcat, not a lion. Unless it's someone's exotic pet that got loose. There's plenty of wildlife that's food to feed on between exits 168 and the end of the GSP and further and I have seen them around here. Male bobcats have home ranges averaging 14 square miles (those they've tracked in the Catskills,) so that covers a lot of ground and would be a good average to assume. Biologists have tracked male bobcats in the Adirondacks covering areas as large as 136 square miles! If bobcats are seen in the Ramapo Mountains and in Ringwood and Sterling Forest, they can easily come this way for a visit. They have their litters in April/May so they'll be out looking for food.

The reason the states in the North East that now HAVE a mountain lion population (NY,NJ, Penn, Con.) won't acknowledge it is of course M-O-N-E-Y. If they admit to having them then are required to set up conservation programs, monitoring programs, pupblic awareness campaigns, and so forth. Until some one is attacked or more likely one is hit by a car or video taped they will be in a constant state of denial.

The reason the states in the North East that now HAVE a mountain lion population (NY,NJ, Penn, Con.) won't acknowledge it is of course M-O-N-E-Y. If they admit to having them then are required to set up conservation programs, monitoring programs, pupblic awareness campaigns, and so forth. Until some one is attacked or more likely one is hit by a car or video taped they will be in a constant state of denial.

I would think that with the plethora of trail cams deployed in those four states by thousands of hunters year-round, some would have disclosed a valid picture or two of a mountain lion. I don't beleive any have ever surfaced.

The mountain lion that was hit by a car in Milford, CT last summer had walked all the way east from South Dakota. They believe it was the same mountain lion spotted by Lake George in the winter of 2010. DNA testing confirmed it was from the same breeding population in South Dakota. That's quite a hike. Here's the story:

http://www.dec.ny.gov/about/74534.html

I have seen a mountain lion on two occasions in at my home in Sussex County. The first time was About six years ago. It was dusk and I was returning home with my elderly dog from the grocery store. My driveway is about 40-50 feet. I picked up my elderly dog out of the car and she lay down in the grass near my car as I brought the groceries into the garage. Then I went out to my mailbox to get my mail. As I was rifling through my mail with my back to the road, mind you, I am outside and no one is near or about except for my dog, I hear this scraping noise right behind me and I turned around, startled that something was so close to me and I had no knowledge of it. When I turned around to my surprise there was a cougar right behind me. The actual noise I heard was its claws on the pavement. As soon as I turned around that cat took off like lightning across the street and into the neighbor's yard. I cannot believe how fast it moved and how quiet it was. Even if I had had a camera in my hand and ready, I would have never been able to get a picture, as it was so fast. Even a weapon would have been pretty much useless as I would not have had time to react. And, if it had been grass or a field, I would have never heard that cat. I would say it was probably about 90 pounds. What bothers me the most is that I was an avid backpacker, hiker, mountain biker, etc. and I am uncomfortable about being outside, now. I cannot understand why that cat was so close to me unless it was interested in either me or more likely my elderly dog. It was definitely a lion and not a bobcat and it had a long tail. If it had been in the field across the street when I saw it, I would not have been as traumatized by its presence. And, unquestionably I know that mountain lions are in NJ. I also knew that even in populated states with large populations of mountain lions the odds of ever seeing one in one's lifetime is slim to none. And, I thought, well that is my only time, that was my chance to see one. I still get uncomfortable especially because of its close proximity to me and because I believe it was going after my elderly dog that was about 20 feet away. And, after seeing it race off, 20 feet is a mere fraction of a second for it to move. And, now I have children. The good thing, though, was my facing it was a deterrent. I believe it was a young one.

Well, even though I already beat the odds, last year I got up at 2:00 AM and went into the bathroom. It was a night with almost a full moon, so I took a peek out the window as was a habit and I saw a mountain lion crossing my backyard. I went into the living room to get my camera and then turned on the bathroom light. I am not sure why I turned the light on. As I did, the cat kind of growled and took off.

I don't know if the area where I live which is near a large field in which deer are always present might be a crossing area for the cat(s), or a favorite spot. There have been other sightings in Green and further up in Sussex County by others of these secretive animals. I have heard strange noises at night which could be a mating call of a mountain lion after listening to it on the computer. It also could sound like a coyote, fox, etc. though, and I know they are around as well. It is definitely a distinctive sound.

Anyway, I have small children and my experiences have definitely changed my view of the outdoors. I might still be more wiling to take risks if it was just me. But, it's not. Many people I have told my stories to did not believe me. But, I can point out that there was one not too far away killed by a car a year or two ago in Connecticut.

When I called NJ park services at the nearby park, my call was not even returned when I left it with the receptionist. At least my local PD listened.

I have had run-ins with bears, and some very close ones at that, but they were docile for the most part, and I have never felt the way I did when I saw that large cat. I'd still give the bears a healthy consideration, though. There probably isn't that much to worry about in meeting a lion unless you are in a remote area, especially near dawn or dusk. Still, an older one or a young one or sick one could be a problem. But, especially since there isn't any way to adequately defend yourself against one in this state, I am certainly more careful. I have often thought of putting game cameras outside. I don't have any and have not gotten around to it.

I may get a large dog, soon, that could act as a deterrent.

THeir are deff mountain lions in nj. A few years back in gibbstown their was multiple sightings. Then in Logan township my mom claimed she saw one. Also a few years back right where my house is use to be woods and one was spotted in what is now my yard. Deer still run a trail through my yard and I see turkey out there to so I dont doubt it. I'm friends with the game warden in this area and he said yeah they are around. Their are certain woods around Salem county that when I go into i am armed. But down here you don't get your balls busted like in more populated areas of nj.

Since I still like to hike, that is why a concealed carry permit that can be used in PA is quite useful. I am not sure of PAs laws in parks, though.

I live in Roxbury Twp in Morris County. Several years ago (maybe 2006) there were reports of a mountain lion, and it was supposedly observed by a LEO. However, they did not publicize it much, although you can find references to it if you Google it. We frequently have bears in our neighborhood, as well as foxes. Our dog went up against a bear on our front yard last year before eventually retreating inside. My wife saw it, and said it was the largest bear she had ever seen since we have lived here. Our dog (Boxer) has little fear but I'm not sure how she would do against a mountain lion.

BTW - Mountain Lions are not really that big. They have huge paws , but they are not huge cats. They are balls of muscle though and wicked strong.

Here is my friend John with one of his cats ..he is the manager at Popcorn Park in Forked River. John is not a small guy , but the cats are not as huge as one would think.

167119_1549656192675_1573225307_31170656_830805_n.jpg

167119_1549656152674_1573225307_31170655_975199_n.jpg

Yeah , John is an animal whisperer :) He loves all the animals there like they were his kids. He is a great guy. They just lost 2 sister mountain lions they had for years and years. Most of the cats there are confiscated illegally owned exotic pets , and they have some big cats rescued from illegal canned hunts. The tigers are awesome. I have not been there to see the new African lions yet , plan to go soon though.

They can grow to some large proportions in other parts of the U.S.:

video -

http://www.9news.com...ounds-of-truth-

Hunter kills mountain lion near Idaho Springs

164-pound puma was bagged legally, agency says

By Ian Neligh

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 at 4:13 pm

A 164-pound mountain lion was legally hunted and killed on Jan. 15 near Idaho Springs.

The lion, while weighing nearly as much as an average human male, was a typical size for a male lion, said Theo Stein, a spokesman for Colorado Parks and Wildlife.

“It is not unusual for them to get that large,” Stein said. “Mountain lions can kill a bull elk in seconds. They are very large and efficient predators.”

The hunter’s name was withheld by Parks and Wildlife, a division of the Colorado Department of Natural Resources.

A photo of the lion recently has been circulating on the Internet, along with a rumor that dog collars were found in the lion’s stomach, but Stein said that is untrue.

Stein said a district wildlife manager examined the lion as required by law and found the kill to be lawful. While Stein couldn’t say exactly how the lion was killed, he said that typically in Colorado hunters use dogs to chase lions up a tree, where the hunter can get at them.

A ‘healthy’ population

Every year, hunters are permitted to harvest a limited number of lions across the state. In Clear Creek County, this typically consists of two to three licenses, according to Colorado Parks and Wildlife spokeswoman Jennifer Churchill.

While there is no current estimate of lion populations in the county, or even in the state, a previous count from 2010 puts their number at between 4,500 and 5,000.

Churchill said that while the population is considered healthy, it is difficult to get any true population figures because the lions are so elusive.

“Suffice it to say that along the Front Range, pretty much every territory that’s suitable for a mountain lion has got one,” Churchill said. “They are rarely seen, but they are not uncommon.”

Churchill said the Department of Natural Resources is conducting an in-depth lion study and hopes to have more concrete data soon.

“So far from our Front Range mountain lion study, our preliminary information is telling us that they do a lot to avoid us,” Churchill said. “They try very hard to avoid us temporally and spatially, and they really try to avoid areas where we frequent.”

There are few documented cases of lions killing people in Colorado. One, however, occurred in 1991 when Clear Creek High School senior Scott Lancaster was attacked while jogging alone near the school.

That lion was eventually tracked down and killed by Dave Wohlers, current Idaho Springs police chief, who was a sergeant at the time.

Precautions

Churchill said her agency urges residents, especially pet owners, to be extra cautious when mountain lions are suspected to be in the neighborhood.

“I don’t think in general they are very interested in us, but unfortunately they can be interested in our pets, and I know a lot of people in that area have run into this issue as far as pets being taken by lions,” Churchill said.

During a two-week period in 2010, mountain lions killed two family dogs in Lawson and Empire.

While more cases probably have occurred since then, Churchill warns that not all pets that go missing are the result of lion attacks. The mountain area is full of predators, including birds of prey, foxes and coyotes.

Churchill said residents of lion country or people passing through should take precautions.

“We think if you’re in lion country, you need to, first of all, just be aware,” Churchill said. “We always recommend people don’t wear headphones or things like that. Lions don’t seem to be very interested in us as a rule, but it is always good to make noise when you’re out hiking, make sure you are aware of your surroundings, and scan around the trail to see if there is anything out there.”

Churchill added that children should be familiar with the acronym “SMART”:

• Stop: If a child sees an animal she’s not familiar with.

• Make themselves look bigger by raising their arms if they see a mountain lion.

• Announce themselves verbally, because prey doesn’t usually speak to predators and to do so may help it realize that you’re not its normal prey.

• Retreat: Slowly back away from the animal.

• Tell an adult.

“It is really important to us that kids go out and enjoy the outdoors, and we don’t want people to be so afraid to send their kids outside,” Churchill said. “We’d rather they be empowered to take care of themselves and protect themselves.”

Lastly, Churchill, said homeowners who feel they may have a lion living in their area can install motion-activated lights. She said lions are most active between dusk and dawn, and recently several dogs were attacked at night.

Colorado Parks and Wildlife encourages reports from the public about mountain lion concerns. Citizens can call 303-291-7227; or, for more information, visit http://wildlife.state.co.us/WildlifeSpecies/LivingWithWildlife/Mammals/P....

Yeah , John is an animal whisperer :) He loves all the animals there like they were his kids. He is a great guy. They just lost 2 sister mountain lions they had for years and years. Most of the cats there are confiscated illegally owned exotic pets , and they have some big cats rescued from illegal canned hunts. The tigers are awesome. I have not been there to see the new African lions yet , plan to go soon though.

I never heard of this sanctuary, but I'm happy to see someone doing something for these animals. I'll be sure to donate to that organization.

I hate to see animal sightings like this one in Bergen County. It's just another result of over-developing. These animals are more scared than we are.

BTW - Mountain Lions are not really that big. They have huge paws , but they are not huge cats. They are balls of muscle though and wicked strong.

Here is my friend John with one of his cats ..he is the manager at Popcorn Park in Forked River. John is not a small guy , but the cats are not as huge as one would think.

167119_1549656192675_1573225307_31170656_830805_n.jpg

167119_1549656152674_1573225307_31170655_975199_n.jpg

damn... I'd be losing my sh*t if that were me.

They can grow to some large proportions in other parts of the U.S.:

That Mountain Lion there in that picture I posted is about 120 pounds . The one mentioned in the article was 165 pounds . For reference . They tend to be long rather than tall and well packed muscle. A bit deceiving. People think they are smaller than they are because they are low to the ground. My Mastiff is about 140 pounds.

I never heard of this sanctuary, but I'm happy to see someone doing something for these animals. I'll be sure to donate to that organization.

I hate to see animal sightings like this one in Bergen County. It's just another result of over-developing. These animals are more scared than we are.

They are a great organization. All of the animals there are rescues ( though it is called a Zoo it is really a sanctuary) . They have a nice picnic area..great place to take the kids.

That Mountain Lion there in that picture I posted is about 120 pounds . The one mentioned in the article was 165 pounds . For reference . They tend to be long rather than tall and well packed muscle. A bit deceiving. People think they are smaller than they are because they are low to the ground. My Mastiff is about 140 pounds.

Supposedly the largest lion documented weighed 276 lbs. (The one hit by the car in Milford, CT weighed 140 lbs. And that was after a long walk that took a few years!)

This one weighed 177 lbs.

http://www.custercou...ory-212715.html

full_7676615-6086864.gif

Pound for pound, I believe the mountain lion is the strongest of cats. A full grown one can drag an adult white tail deer up a 20 foot tree.