reloaderguy

Interesting discussion with my ffl about ammo!

If hysteria means more responsible citizens owning guns and ammunition, so be it.

IMO, regardless of hysteria and market manipulation, provided you can get a good deal (not buying in on over-inflated Obama hording prices) on bulk ammo, it is always a good idea to stock up on it if you can. Ammo prices have been consistently trending upwards even without considering these periods of Obama fueled hording. I feel that it will always be a decent "investment" as the odds are you will not loose your money, and actually stand a good chance of gaining value and coming out on top in a few years.

"the allotment of ammo for the public is done for the year." WTF??? How many ammo manufacturers are there? I can probably name 10 off the top of my head. They've all informed their distributors that they are done for the year. They're coordinating their sales practices and have all stopped shipping. The military is buying up all available .45ACP, .40sw and .38 spcl/ Really? C'mon people.

"the allotment of ammo for the public is done for the year." WTF??? How many ammo manufacturers are there? I can probably name 10 off the top of my head. They've all informed their distributors that they are done for the year. They're coordinating their sales practices and have all stopped shipping. The military is buying up all available .45ACP, .40sw and .38 spcl/ Really? C'mon people.

It's called market manipulation. It's going to get worse right up to the election. If they are holdin back inventory it is because alarmists are hoarding ammo. Demand makes the price go up, contracted supply makes the price go up more.

The government is not taking over the ammo sector. The ammo sector is seeking to turn record profits on the fear of gun owners.

IMO, regardless of hysteria and market manipulation, provided you can get a good deal (not buying in on over-inflated Obama hording prices) on bulk ammo, it is always a good idea to stock up on it if you can. Ammo prices have been consistently trending upwards even without considering these periods of Obama fueled hording. I feel that it will always be a decent "investment" as the odds are you will not loose your money, and actually stand a good chance of gaining value and coming out on top in a few years.

I agree with this a whole lot. If you catch good prices in general, stock up as much as you can afford. There's been very little in the way of ammo and components I have picked up that wouldn't have cost more to replace even over just a year or two. Sales, group buys, etc. are all usually worth buying into as much as you can afford is youw ant to keep your total cost of shooting down.

Is it any coincidence that oil refineries and importers slowed production, yet had record profits in the past few years. Coincidentally during a time of uprising and war in the largest oil producing and importing region of the world...Then only 2 weeks after off shore drilling started back up off the coast of the US BP happens to coincidentally have an "accidental explosion" resulting in the worst oil spill in US history?? Hmmmm....

I'm not certain yet how much I buy into the idea of a real, gov't-driven ammo shortage. However, I do know where I stand on the "It Can't Happen Here" mentality. It can happen here, and painting people who are acting on this as hysterical is counterproductive. I have been buying ammo moderately and slowly over the past several years out of an abundance of caution, not just for plinking or training, because I have views on where I think this country is headed. I have no pretensions to being a suvivalist, or fantasies of urban breakdown, but it makes sense to stock up anyway because of the "what ifs" in life. Remember, in 2008 there were very sober people in the highest levels of government warning of tanks on the street if TARP wasn't passed. When government resorts to that kind of hyperbole it forces citizens to respond in kind.

So, even though the shortage may not be real, the incompetency and recent actions of our government are creating a vacuum in which this kind of speculation will fester. One thing we can be certain of, if this kind of possible misinformation was being used to cause instability in another industry, you could be sure that BHO would be thundering from the pulpit against it.

If I need more then the 1500 rounds of .40 range ammo, 500 rounds of 9mm and 150 rounds of .45 (ok, 2k rounds of 22) then I am in big trouble!

You don't shoot too many matches do ya?? lol

Hit 2 static steel matches, 1 knockdown, an OBRAMS, USPSA and 2 indoor USPSA light matches a month and you may need a tad more ammo. Thats just a normal month at OBRPC for me, not to mention a match or 2 down in CJRPC, add in Shongum, aww nevermind, you get the picture.. ;)

You don't shoot too many matches do ya?? lol

Hit 2 static steel matches, 1 knockdown, an OBRAMS, USPSA and 2 indoor USPSA light matches a month and you may need a tad more ammo. Thats just a normal month at OBRPC for me, not to mention a match or 2 down in CJRPC, add in Shongum, aww nevermind, you get the picture.. ;)

Damn Harry....when do you find time to ride?

Damn Harry....when do you find time to ride?

I keep saying I'll be riding to matches but carry too much crap to do that on the bike.

I do get out, not as much as I would like, but I'll get to clear my head when I ride down to south of Dallas for a few day party at a buddies house. Really can use a nice week or so on the road with nothing but camping and 2 lanes highways for the most part between here and there and back.

I keep saying I'll be riding to matches but carry too much crap to do that on the bike.

I do get out, not as much as I would like, but I'll get to clear my head when I ride down to south of Dallas for a few day party at a buddies house. Really can use a nice week or so on the road with nothing but camping and 2 lanes highways for the most part between here and there and back.

Keep her right side up....

If I can carry my USPSA gear on a sport bike, it should be no problem whatsoever to carry it on your couch cycle!

Yea, but I like to have my cart, have a coffee a back up gun and ammo and other misc stuff. I know I could do it, but for a 10 minute ride to OB, I's rather have all my stuff. :)