leahcim

Is the Judge NJ legal?

Thanks. No one told me it is not legal--I was just looking at it and thought that--since it can shoot .410 and his being NJ--the state would probably classify it as a shotgun AND a handgun. And since it does not meet at least two shotgun requirements. I am glad to hear it is NJ Legal!

Rifled barrel makes it not a shotgun

Interesting. I just read the wiki, which talks about this--apparently it is not legal in CA:

"the Judge does not qualify as a "short-barreled shotgun" under the National Firearms Act of 1934 as its rifled barrel makes it a regular handgun.[2] However, the Judge is considered a short-barreled shotgun under California state law, which has a broader definition of "short-barreled shotgun," and the Judge is thus illegal to possess in that state."

Then why was the 28ga prototype shot down? (By the feds I believe)...

Because it wasn't a shotgun and it shoots a projectile over .50 caliber. Which makes it a destructive device.

The what would you classify say a Rem 870 with a rifled slug barrel?

A destructive device with an ATF exemption for sporting purposes. ALL shotguns are destructive devices, jsut most qualify for a broad exemption. Which was why the BATFE whitepaper on how to ban the import of shotguns that made the rounds a year or so ago was a pile of stupid. Yeah, Obama could ban import, but he'd have to rescind the exemption for all shotguns and turn every shotgun owner into a felon. SO....

Then why was the 28ga prototype shot down? (By the feds I believe)...

.410 falls into basically a gray area because it is a "Caliber" as opposed to a "Gauge" Before the Judge there were several other handguns that also shot .45LC and .410, mostly 2-shot Derringer pistols from places like Bond Arms. BEcause they worked for Both the .410 and .45LC ATF classified them as Pistols. Since there is No Equivalent handgun round for the .28Ga, nevermind the fact that it was smooth bore, it would have had to have been marketed as an AOW like the Serbu

.410 falls into basically a gray area because it is a "Caliber" as opposed to a "Gauge" Before the Judge there were several other handguns that also shot .45LC and .410, mostly 2-shot Derringer pistols from places like Bond Arms. BEcause they worked for Both the .410 and .45LC ATF classified them as Pistols. Since there is No Equivalent handgun round for the .28Ga, nevermind the fact that it was smooth bore, it would have had to have been marketed as an AOW like the Serbu

I find it interesting that they made it all the way to SHOT before the plug was pulled. Im wonder if they will try and make a 28 ga equivlent round and register it as a sporting caliber like JDJ did with the 950 to skirt around NFA laws.

28 ga. is .54 caliber and has been around since the days of pouring granulated black powder down the muzzle--into flintlock and percussion smoothbores. But .54 isn't the largest hole in the end of a handgun!

On this BP note, Cabela's has imported the Howda Pistol in 20 ga. double-barrel format! It's a percussion muzzleloader hand gun that would be considered "sawed-off" if it wasn't for the percussion ignition!

Obviously harder to load and learn to shoot, BUT throws a lot more and varied lead than either revolver or the Bond Arms Derringers....and 20 ga. is .62 caliber, so do you wanna pump round ball, buckshot, buck AND ball in the same side, or have one side for birdshot? And since it's black powder, NO permits, just cash and carry!

Now IF some Federal Agency deemed appropriate the use of a .54 cal revolver, said Manufacturer would glady make them! And then maybe change the law to suit their needs as well?

Food for thought as we discuss powerful hand cannons throwing shot........

Dave