Kaiser7

Something I've noticed about gun owners...

Honestly, and maybe it's just the folks here on NJGF, but across the board gun owners seem to be the NICEST people I have ever met. I've been on a lot of online forums, and honestly, this is one of the few where I actually feel like the people here are good people who aren't jerks to new people, and who are always willing to share some knowledge.

I mean, I've had a lot of people be really kind in giving me advice, and even helping me get started reloading, or building my AR and all that, and as a whole I'd like to thank those people, and point out what I noticed, which was just that it seems like gun owners as a whole are some pretty nice people.

I have to agree, gun owners are very nice. Another example: I was at the Old Bridge speed on steel shoot, Friday. I miscounted the number of rounds I would need and ran out before the shoot was over. One of the guys on my squad gave me the ammo I'd need to finish the shoot and wouldn't take money for it.

It's good that we as a community look out for each other.

I think in NJ there's a certain sense of commradery by default because firearms interest in this state is not nearly as normalized as other areas of the country. I don't like to use the phrase "an enemy of my enemy is my friend" but we all have a fairly common experience in dealing with the state and residents of NJ who don't particularly tolerate our hobby. At least that's one possible side of it.

I'm not one of the "nice guys" here, sorry.

I think your sweet like a kitten, you are just afraid to show it.

But I've never met you so this is pure speculation.

I once heard someone say this after hearing the remark made that shooters are nice people,

"I've seen fights and arguments at baseball, hockey, football, and soccer games, NASCAR, and just about every kind of competitiion. I've never seen a fight or argument at a shooting competition".

I once heard someone say this after hearing the remark made that shooters are nice people,

"I've seen fights and arguments at baseball, hockey, football, and soccer games, NASCAR, and just about every kind of competitiion. I've never seen a fight or argument at a shooting competition".

I agree and well said.

The only negative comment I would make is that sadly I see hunters argue occasionally. It seems to be a territorial thing at times. The combination of property, private or public; the pursuit of a monster buck or trophy turkey and if their domain has been encroached improperly this will set some people off in the wrong direction.

I agree and well said.

The only negative comment I would make is that sadly I see hunters argue occasionally. It seems to be a territorial thing at times. The combination of property, private or public; the pursuit of a monster buck or trophy turkey and if their domain has been encroached improperly this will set some people off in the wrong direction.

I've also experienced similar things every once in a while. Seems like hunters have a lot of 'honor code' standards and sometimes get a bit short with people outside of their own code, even if no official rules or laws are being violated by either party.

My personal feeling is that hunters are in a different category than your standard gun owners and I'm not talking in a good way. The ones I've met and/or encountered have no issue mixing alcohol and firearms, then driving on top of that. In addition, they're not very helpful when asked for various types of information. Many of them do not and will not follow the basic hunting rules when left alone in the woods. Again, this has been my experience and as always, YMMV.

I've also experienced similar things every once in a while Seems like hunters have a lot of 'honor code' standards and sometimes get a bit short with people outside of their own code, even if no official rules or laws are being violated by either party.

From what my friend says, this is true. I wanted to go hunting with him, get my license and all that. I figured I could use my VZ-24 for deer. It's 8mm, has a ballistics profile similar to that of .30-06, and all that. He said the other hunters would give me crap for using a military rifle, and not something like a Weatherby like he has. (Ironically, my VZ outshoots his Weatherby, but that's a separate issue). That's sort of why I haven't pursued hunting.

From what my friend says, this is true. I wanted to go hunting with him, get my license and all that. I figured I could use my VZ-24 for deer. It's 8mm, has a ballistics profile similar to that of .30-06, and all that. He said the other hunters would give me crap for using a military rifle, and not something like a Weatherby like he has. (Ironically, my VZ outshoots his Weatherby, but that's a separate issue). That's sort of why I haven't pursued hunting.

I'd probably just say screw it and take my rifle anyway. Who cares what a few dumbass fudds think? Go out and have fun!

I'd probably just say screw it and take my rifle anyway. Who cares what a few dumbass fudds think? Go out and have fun!

Yea, I was thinking the same thing. The day I allow "the crowd" to influence what I do and the way I do it, is the day I stop living.

I always tell people the two nicest people you will encounter are shooters and motorcyclists. We have outlets for our stress. Nothing like a couple of hundred rounds down range to relax, or a nice ride on a back road somewhere. Gets your head in the right place.

I know a few fellows in NY who hunt for fun with an M1, a Mosin, a Swede 96, and one hunts with his SKS on "foul weather" days. Don't assume that all folks think that way and would frown on what you choose to use. (My friend who shot his doe with his M1 last year also hunts with a Blaser 93, a rifle that can make a Weatherby look slightly cheap.)

I know a few fellows in NY who hunt for fun with an M1, a Mosin, a Swede 96, and one hunts with his SKS on "foul weather" days. Don't assume that all folks think that way and would frown on what you choose to use. (My friend who shot his doe with his M1 last year also hunts with a Blaser 93, a rifle that can make a Weatherby look slightly cheap.)

Oh it was funny, it was my first time firing a centerfire, and he was bragging about his $2,000 Weatherby, and the $1,000 scope he had on it, and how my rifle was neat, but old, and not nearly as nice.

5 shots later, I had two in the bulls eye, another in the 10 ring, and one flier in the 8, and he his best was in the 8 ring XD. He told me it was beginners luck.

Oh it was funny, it was my first time firing a centerfire, and he was bragging about his $2,000 Weatherby, and the $1,000 scope he had on it, and how my rifle was neat, but old, and not nearly as nice.

5 shots later, I had two in the bulls eye, another in the 10 ring, and one flier in the 8, and he his best was in the 8 ring XD. He told me it was beginners luck.

I am a hunter (not a psycho fanatic type) and as far back as I can remember I was always told "all you need" is a pump shotgun, or a single shot slug gun, or a 30-06 for out of state hunting. Since I've taken up shooting as a hobby, I can tell you I'll be getting evil looks on my next out of state trip!

I am a hunter (not a psycho fanatic type) and as far back as I can remember I was always told "all you need" is a pump shotgun, or a single shot slug gun, or a 30-06 for out of state hunting. Since I've taken up shooting as a hobby, I can tell you I'll be getting evil looks on my next out of state trip!

I know! It's weird, I mean, sure my gun fires 8mm mauser, but It's not like I'm using 7mag for deer haha. It's only slightly (almost imperceptibly so) larger than the .30-06.

Course, I really don't care, I'd use it, but I don't think my friend will bring me if I use that haha.

I know! It's weird, I mean, sure my gun fires 8mm mauser, but It's not like I'm using 7mag for deer haha. It's only slightly (almost imperceptibly so) larger than the .30-06.

Course, I really don't care, I'd use it, but I don't think my friend will bring me if I use that haha.

I say it's all about a good shot. Why wouldn't you want to bring a rifle you know you can make consistent groups with? As long as your shooting ammo that is heavy enough, shot placement will be what puts the meat on the table.