rdsmith3

What animal makes a whistling sound

I was awakened at 4:40 AM (windows open) by some animal making a whistling sort of noise. The rhythm of it was something like 1&2 3. It drove the dog crazy, so I don't think it was a bird, because they do not get her riled up. It was not the eerie screeching sound that I have heard the foxes make. This was a noise I never heard before. Any ideas?

No, it was not a bird. I am positive of that. It moved quickly from the back, to the side, to the front of the house, as if it was passing through our propert. It was much louder than a bird, too. I know what a morning dove sounds like, and it was definitely not that.

A groundhog can make a variety of whistling/hissing sounds. A loon can also make a whistling sound, especially in the morning. A opossum has been known to whistle a tune accompanied with a hissing noise.

Is one of these similar to the sound that you heard? Listen to the end of the fox sounds for kind of whistling.

fisher cat audio

A groundhog can make a variety of whistling/hissing sounds. A loon can also make a whistling sound, especially in the morning. A opossum has been known to whistle a tune accompanied with a hissing noise.

Is one of these similar to the sound that you heard? Listen to the end of the fox sounds for kind of whistling.

fisher cat audio

Thanks. Foxes make so many different noises that it might have been a fox.

The fisher cat sound got my dog the most excited, though.

Yeah, I have coyotes near my house, too. And, they can be noisy. Once in a while when the moon is out I see one that stands in my front yard over my resident groundhog hole. It will wait for a couple of hours for that little guy to show up.

With the increased fox population in recent years, and now coyotes, I am seeing fewer chipmunks. That is the good news. The bad news is that I am also seeing fewer wild turkeys. I used to see them all the time, but I can't remember seeing them in the last couple of years.

Now I have leave the cats out for the night :icon_e_wink:

rdsmith3

Check these out:

http://fishercatscreech.com/fisher-cat-audio-animal-sounds-and-noises/

http://soundbible.com/1075-Fisher-Cat.html

I was with a family member this weekend who mentioned that this (formerly native) animal is making its way back and that it sounds like a baby being killed...