reloaderguy

NJ suspends red light cameras!

Got excited when I read this on NJ.com until I realized its not because they are strictly a revenue generator, but just because they need to be tested for yellow transition accuracy. The towns all cry that its about improved safety standards and not a revenue source. Well if it isnt a revenue source donate all profits to a charity or a non operational budget item such as parks and rec development.

Got excited when I read this on NJ.com until I realized its not because they are strictly a revenue generator, but just because they need to be tested for yellow transition accuracy. The towns all cry that its about improved safety standards and not a revenue source. Well if it isnt a revenue source donate all profits to a charity or a non operational budget item such as parks and rec development.

+1

+2

I was about to jump for joy on this. I think the red light cameras cause more issues.

There is one light in the center of Union. The yellow changes to red so quickly. The flash for the traffic camera goes off all the time. The first few times I went thru the light, I braked so hard to not trigger the camera that the car behind me almost slammed into me. I have a tendency to pull over now if I have seen the light green for a while but more often than not, I just avoid that area.

More and more are popping up all over the place. Sooner or later, I'm going to need a gps to plot out a course to avoid the traffic cams.

One of the guys at work was hit recently at an intersection, totalling his year old car, and beating his body up a bit, as well. Apparantly, an eighty year old woman slammed on her brakes at the intersection, where she had a green light, becuase she was afraid she would get a ticket from one of those red light cameras...the guy behind her swerved to avoid tail ending her, and plowed his big work truck into my buddy's crossover, totalling it. Her comment came from the Officer that responded to the accident...

I guess I am one that never had an issue with the red-light cameras. Don't speed-up at a yellow light, don't run a red-light and make sure you actually stop before turning on red if you're allowed and all is well. What's the problem with that? So what if it's a revenue generating avenue for the towns. Don't participate in the revenue generation by not breaking the law (running a red light or turning on red without 1st stopping). What's so difficult about that? I guess I don't understand the issue.

I guess I am one that never had an issue with the red-light cameras. Don't speed-up at a yellow light, don't run a red-light and make sure you actually stop before turning on red if you're allowed and all is well. What's the problem with that? So what if it's a revenue generating avenue for the towns. Don't participate in the revenue generation by not breaking the law (running a red light or turning on red without 1st stopping). What's so difficult about that? I guess I don't understand the issue.

+1

And there was a report done on the cameras on a town in Ocean county where serious crashes were down 60% at the interesections with the cameras and only 1 extra rear end collision. Just pay attention to speed limits and amber lights and you won't get a ticket.

By that logic the next bill on the feds docket should be restricting vehicles to 65mph by 2013, and by 2015 mandate all new vehicles come with gps limiting sensors that will govern your speed based on the speed limit on the road youre traveling. Im sure speed is a much more dangerous variable in motor vehicle related injuries than red lights, lets go for the throat. Alas, there would be a drop in speeding tickets issued so that wont work for them.

Im for improved safety, keep the lights and ticket people, but dont as a politician sell it as a safety measure and not a cash cow, then reap the benefits behind closed doors. Put the money to better use other than rolling it into their reserved funds.

You've never been through the ones in Newark or on Route 1/1&9 from Edison up to Linden then.... They're ALL programmed differently. The light at Route 1&9 & Avenel St in Avenel does not have any indicator as to when the light will change. When it does change, it changes FAST. The speed limit there is 50 MPH, it should take 5.5 seconds to change.... It actually changes in about 3 (I've tested it).

Other intersections have the crosswalk timers and the timers count down. When the timer hits zero, the light changes to yellow. HOWEVER, at an intersection in Rahway (Route 1&9 & Milton ave), the light changes to yellow with 6 seconds left on the timer, and red when it hits zero.

There needs to be rules setup for these lights, and they need to be standardized across the board.

Problem is where does it end, not tinfoil hatting it but what's next. You feel this is ok, well then what about the next automated program to monitor you. How about EzPass, toll to toll to fast, here's you're ticket, Speed Cams go too fast, Here's you're, NEW GPS system, go too fast, Here's you're ticket..

Now tell me what you're going to do when you get that call someone in your family was hurt and you were had to leave work to get to them and there are a bunch of Red Light Cams between you and them, and what if they add Speed Cams next???

I had a long response typed up, but decided not to post it. Like everything else, there will be opinions for and against anything and everything. As I've said, I don't see an issue nor do I have an issue with them, since I follow the laws concerning red-light, yellow-light, green-light and stopping prior to making a right-turn on red. In those cases where any emergency would arise, that would be a game-day decision on how I'd react and act to the situation.

I had a long response typed up, but decided not to post it. Like everything else, there will be opinions for and against anything and everything. As I've said, I don't see an issue nor do I have an issue with them, since I follow the laws concerning red-light, yellow-light, green-light and stopping prior to making a right-turn on red. In those cases where any emergency would arise, that would be a game-day decision on how I'd react and act to the situation.

I can tell you that it's a PITA up here in north/central jersey... Especially during rush hour traffic times.

Problem is where does it end, not tinfoil hatting it but what's next. You feel this is ok, well then what about the next automated program to monitor you. How about EzPass, toll to toll to fast, here's you're ticket, Speed Cams go too fast, Here's you're, NEW GPS system, go too fast, Here's you're ticket..

Now tell me what you're going to do when you get that call someone in your family was hurt and you were had to leave work to get to them and there are a bunch of Red Light Cams between you and them, and what if they add Speed Cams next???

In a previous thread on Red Light cams I posted what happened in Europe. First came the red light cameras that mailed you a ticket if the driver's face was visible along with the front plate. Then technology advanced to the point of digital cameras to allow for anti cam sprays,then laws are modified to allow speed cams,detectors of any type outlawed.now GPS technology is already used in Scandinavia.The monies collected are used from everything from driver's ed to road maintenance and construction.

Here in America the potential is far more vast because we hate to navigate roundabouts or traffic circles which only makes for more lights and in turn more cameras.

There are some cameras on Blackwood-Clementon Road in Blackwood that flash when there is no one in the other lane. I was sitting at a red light one night and the flash went off on the crossroad as the light was turning red. There was not a single car on the crossroad in either direction and I was the only one on my road and I was already stopped for a few mins waiting for the light to change. I also have a problem with being accused of a crime and not being able to confront my accuser as is my right. JMHO.

Didnt realize this part of it...

"If the analysis shows that the duration of a yellow light meets the minimum duration as required by the legislation, a municipality will be permitted to issue violation notices for violations that occur during the suspension period, and continue issuing violation notices."

So they just cant send the tickets out.. until the cameras are checked and approved. Hadnt realized Brick now has 3 of them .

There are some cameras on Blackwood-Clementon Road in Blackwood that flash when there is no one in the other lane. I was sitting at a red light one night and the flash went off on the crossroad as the light was turning red. There was not a single car on the crossroad in either direction and I was the only one on my road and I was already stopped for a few mins waiting for the light to change. I also have a problem with being accused of a crime and not being able to confront my accuser as is my right. JMHO.

The cameras go through test cycles and flash when cars aren't there as part of their test. And as for confronted by your accuser a Police Officer has to approve every summons. So you can confront him in court.

Im on this road everyday, and everyday, when that light turns yellow, brakes lock up, and i see near rear enders every day....just today i was on my motorcycle, light turned yellow. I was in no mans land. Either lock on the brakes, or dump the throttle and hope for the best. I throttled it. It turned red when I was 1/2 way thru.

Does anyone know at what point the cams decide "hey, you ran a red light"? What happens if you are caught in the middle when it's red.?

I was about to jump for joy on this. I think the red light cameras cause more issues.

There is one light in the center of Union. The yellow changes to red so quickly. The flash for the traffic camera goes off all the time. The first few times I went thru the light, I braked so hard to not trigger the camera that the car behind me almost slammed into me. I have a tendency to pull over now if I have seen the light green for a while but more often than not, I just avoid that area.

More and more are popping up all over the place. Sooner or later, I'm going to need a gps to plot out a course to avoid the traffic cams.

I got in an accident because of one. Fortunately the guy just sort of tapped me, and there was no damage done. He asked if I even cared, and I didn't so we just went our separate ways. It's the one on Delsea by Rowan, which, I cannot confirm these sources, but I heard it brings in several million dollars a year for the town of Glassboro. I wouldn't be surprised, I sat in court there one day to be a witness for a professor who was arrested, and out of the 20-some people before the case I was involved in, at least 15 were hit for redlight violations. Including a woman ith MS who was crying about how she couldn't afford the fines. It was depressing as hell.

....So I took a trip to Bob's little on my way home to cheer myself up XD.

Im on this road everyday, and everyday, when that light turns yellow, brakes lock up, and i see near rear enders every day....just today i was on my motorcycle, light turned yellow. I was in no mans land. Either lock on the brakes, or dump the throttle and hope for the best. I throttled it. It turned red when I was 1/2 way thru.

Does anyone know at what point the cams decide "hey, you ran a red light"? What happens if you are caught in the middle when it's red.?

The cameras are only supposed to report a violation in you have not entered the intersection by the time the light turns red. i.e. front wheels over the line at the time the light turns is NOT supposed to be a violation. If you have not hit the white line by the time it turns red you will be issued. Then again this was what was originally reported when the cameras came out.

The closest one to me I know of is in rt 1 in Edison. Right on red is permitted into the strip malls, and the damn things go off every time someone does. The flashes are installed to light up all six lanes and until the stores close they go off prettying constantly. It messes with your night vision for about a quarter mile , and can actually make it harder to keep track of what traffic is doing for about half a block either way.

Real safe stuff.

I would not trust turning on red with the camera. If it goes off, you have zero proof you fully stopped or waited, its you against a picture showing you through the red. Note the turn on red law is optional, you are never required to turn on red.

There is a video that accompanies a red light violation.

There is a video that accompanies a red light violation.

This is true, I got a ticket for turning on red, in Jersey city; Kennedy and Communipaw. I went to court for the second "trial", they had the video when I went there. Video showed me stopped for at least 4secs, ticket dissmissed :).... And guess which camera is being evaluated in Jersey city? yup thats right, the one on Communipaw and kennedy. Too funny.

This is true, I got a ticket for turning on red, in Jersey city; Kennedy and Communipaw. I went to court for the second "trial", they had the video when I went there. Video showed me stopped for at least 4secs, ticket dissmissed :).... And guess which camera is being evaluated in Jersey city? yup thats right, the one on Communipaw and kennedy. Too funny.

Know that PITA intersection well....my favorite take out joint is down the block and had many an incident there.

That was the first one installed too. I got nabbed at montgomery and merseles. Turning right on red at 4am going to work. It actually says no turn on red there. My fault. Now i just avoid that intersection by making the left at the bottom of the ramp. No camera there but no turns allowed either. Oh well