jermz1987

So I painted my shotgun (pics inside)

I own a Maverick 88 12g shotgun. I have had it for about a year and a half now and I paid 120 bucks for it out the door. I've used it a decent amount. The gun had wear marks from racking the shotgun, had some blemishes from being taken in and out of the safe. I also put a Tac Star side saddle on it. The instructions said to put a little blue loc tite on the screws which I did.

Well the last time I shot it the side saddle became loose. I decided to take it off and noticed that the saddle had scratched the finish up quite a bit. This did not bother me because I am more function over looks. While browsing midwayusa.com I saw they offerd a duracoat kit for 30 bucks. So I thought I would give it a try. Took me a day to do and I thought it came out pretty good. Not bad for 30 bucks.

Here are some before shots.

111_0750.jpg

111_0752.jpg

111_0749.jpg

111_0748.jpg

Paint and Drying

111_0779.jpg

111_0781.jpg

111_0780.jpg

111_0786.jpg

111_0787.jpg

Finished Product

111_0790.jpg

I think it came out ok. I've never painted a gun before so I am happy with the results. The Pictures really don't do it justice. In case anyone wants to know its the Lauer DuraCoat Shake N Spray Firearm Finishing Kit in Matte Black.

Looks good. Did you have to sand it? If so, what grit?

Also, did you paint the bolt too?

The kit came with a scrub pad and stripping solution. So I really didn't need to sand, But I did anyway, I lightly sanded it with some 400 grit, But I didn't go crazy with it. Then I just rubbed it down with a white T shirt and sprayed it. The whole thing took a few hours and I let it dry and put it back together at night. So you could do this in one day. So far I am happy with it. I racked the shotgun quite a few times and nothing comes off. I was on the fence about painting the bolt but I ended up leaving it. Later today I am going to take some better detailed pics outside and post em.

Good job!

I was expecting some desert camo debauchery

Looks fantastic.

Desert in NJ? You're right that is messed up. It should be woodland!

But really, that looks really good. I've seen duracoat used before, and the guy that used it hasn't had a single problem with it. Its good stuff.

Hey Jermz,

Do you have any leftover duracoat paint?

After seeing your thread, I want to re-paint my shotgun's mag tube.

But it's not enough of a job to warrant purchasing a $30 kit.

Sorry, I threw what was left out, I don't think it would have been still good, It says something about 48hours to use.

Yeah its a Mossberg 500 copy. I paid 189 bucks for it new, But i see them going for around 200 now.

My only problem is the safety location. I'd pick up one used and do something like you did. Thanks bro

My only problem is the safety location. I'd pick up one used and do something like you did. Thanks bro

Yeah, this was my first shotgun so I am used to it being near the trigger guard, I kinda like it their better when using the pistol grip, But I am still saving for a 590a1.