antimatter

permits are in - 1911 shopping begins!

So got the call today and it took shorter than i thought! so now begins the task of zeroing in on a 1911. my short list is kimber, magnum research, Springfield and taurus. who else should i check out?

i am trying to keep it under a grand.

You will get many answers here. The Magnum Research is a nice gun. Check out STI as well. The other brands you have mentioned are not favorites of mine, but others here and elsewhere like them so I will let them praise them.

For under $1000, you can get the original, a Colt. Great resale value. I have a Series 70 Reproduction and it is a beauty and agreat shooter.

I own a Kimber Custom TLE II and love it. Never had a problem with FTE or FTF. I think I paid $970 for it, or close to that, Id have to dig up th receipts.

Trigger is nice, action is smooth.

I'm not a 1911 expert by any means, but I know a good shooting gun and my Kimber is really nice.

If the rock island doesn't come in by the time my permits arrive I will just get the spartan. That will be my 9mm 1911.

C'mon Joe, if you're going to get a 9mm 1911, get a S&W Pro or STI Trojan. What's another couple hundred? :D

Antimatter, in that price range, I'll also say take a good look at the Springfield Range Officer.

i cant find an STI at any store around here - anyone know where i can hold one?

Since you failed to fill out "location" in your profile, we have no idea where "around here" is.

Tanner's in Jamison, PA had some STI's in stock last time I was there. I believe World Class Steel, here in NJ is also a dealer.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Rather than listen to folks shouting their favorite brands (at least this thread hasn't degenerated into a pissing match, go to the search engine of your choice and type in "1911 Forum". You will get two main sites. Realize that there are folks there that think anything less than a 2k semi-custom is junk. But there are a lot of posts that will tell you the guns with the most bang for your buck, the best in your price range, the one with the features you want, etc. I will get in an obligatory dig and say that i would be surprised if you get a new Kimber (supposedly first gen is a different story) after doing your research.

Since you failed to fill out "location" in your profile, we have no idea where "around here" is.

Tanner's in Jamison, PA had some STI's in stock last time I was there. I believe World Class Steel, here in NJ is also a dealer.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

its not a fail, its a choice. and here is NJ and thanks for the info.

C'mon Joe, if you're going to get a 9mm 1911, get a S&W Pro or STI Trojan. What's another couple hundred? :D

Antimatter, in that price range, I'll also say take a good look at the Springfield Range Officer.

My gun budget is limited..lol. The more I wait the more I lean towards the spartan. I got a price of 400 on the rock and 700 on the STI. Don't know if I can justify the price when a lot of stuff is the same on the guns

I did not like the spartan, i do like the Trojan that is nice piece.. i would rather have the Taurus over the spartan, i have a team 2 Kimber that i like a lot but out of your price range the kimber stainless 2 is available in 9 that could be in your price range and the S&W pro is also a great gun one of the best out of the box, but also out of your price range..

Have not fondled a desert eagle but they are suppose to be very nice.. have not fondled the Remington or the Ruger heard some bad reviews on both and also some good ones..

shoot someone elses before you buy their are plenty of shooters who will let you fondle their guns..

here is a springfield loaded for sale in 9mm right on our forum, the loaded is a nice pistol maybe you can take it for a test drive...

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/38670-wts-springfield-1911-stainless-target-loaded-9mm/

Another question is how heavy do you want the firearm? My wife bought the Kimber Aegis II as she wanted the lighter weight frame.

TheWombat

great question, i tend to prefer on the heavy side. My other HG is a baby eagle (Jericho 941) in 9mm all steel and i love it. I would like a lightwieght polymer but i think in a 1911 i want to feel the weight.

great question, i tend to prefer on the heavy side. My other HG is a baby eagle (Jericho 941) in 9mm all steel and i love it. I would like a lightwieght polymer but i think in a 1911 i want to feel the weight.

I have an original Baby eagle in 41AE ( Jericho 941) in brushed chrome love that gun..

I love my Kimber. That said, Ramsey has the Remington R1 in stock in stainless. Feels really nice. They also have a 3 thousand Christensen for sale that I feel like I should own... but I'm broke.

My Kimber is in 9mm and if you would like to try before buy, PM me. I shoot at BH once a week.

C

That's cool it just helps to know approx where you are in NJ so folks can direct you to the closest shop/range that has what you are looking for.

Anyway I have both a Rock Island (lower cost) and The S&W performance center (mid level cost)

As lunker said it's kinda of useless to just shout out 1911's as there are almost limitless choices.

When I was shopping for a mid-leveI cost 1911 I was fortunate enough to be able to shot over a dozen different 1911's that belonged to my friends and I just kept coming back to the S&W perf center, it just felt great in my hands and I shot it well, so that is what I ended up getting.

I also feel the Rock Island offers a nice bang for the buck in a 1911.

I am located in Hunterdon County if you would like to try out these or another 1911 model my friends might have, shoot me a p/m and we can set something up.

Simply giving us a county, or even a central, north, or south jersey would be very helpful for those who are looking to help you. Just a thought.