z2886

Need to carry pistol permit whenever you go shoot?

Was in a gun shop today and overheard a conversation between a gentleman picking up his 1st hand gun and the salesman behind the counter. Guy behind the counter said the new gun owner had to have the pink copy of the pistol permit with him at all times when he had the pistol in his posession. I had never heard this before? Is he correct?

Nothing that I've seen in the law requires it. That opinion is based upon the notion that you can use your permit to keep you out of being jammed up in a stop. But if you're not transporting within the exemptions, you could have a stack of permit and it won't mean squat.

Was in a gun shop today and overheard a conversation between a gentleman picking up his 1st hand gun and the salesman behind the counter. Guy behind the counter said the new gun owner had to have the pink copy of the pistol permit with him at all times when he had the pistol in his posession. I had never heard this before? Is he correct?

FALSITUDE! Not required.

Wrong. This is a myth perpetuated by NJ gun owners only.

Another myth busted, j0n you should start a myth LAWS in The forum, then people could just add on their myths and corrections. Just a suggestion because I saw a newbee on another post stating hollow point in Nj is a no-no

Absolutely wrong.

If you lived in PA, bought a handgun legally and then move to NJ. Where exactly is the P2P that you are "required" to have going to come from?

The permit is a Permit to PURCHASE a handgun, not to have one.

If you want to carry it, it's up to you. But see what Woodentoe wrote. It ain't going to help if you screwed up already.

Like the Wombat, I carry copies of my pinks in my range bag but I tend to agree with Woodentoe also. If it's come to the point where I'm in the position of having to pull them out to varify ownership or legality chances are the shit has already hit the fan.

There have been instances where people have had their firearms taken from them by the police and held until they can prove legal ownership. A good friend of mine who purchased a .357 many years ago when he lived in California had this happen to him. The gun store where he originally purchased the gun had long ago gone out of business and he never got the gun back because he was unable to prove he owned it/purchased it legally. Is it wrong, absolutely, do the police care, absolutely not! My suggestion to everyone is to make a 1/3 size photo copy of the permit, laminate it and keep it in your pistol case so you can prevent being some uninformed ass-clown's next victim.

you do not need it, it helps with check cause they may just let you go, otherwise they can hold you up while they run the serial# been their before two rangers and a state trooper held us up for an hour running serial #s on pistols,they did not care about shotguns and rifles which kind of pissed me off a little.. what is the difference they could be stolen just as much as a pistol..

If you bought a handgun on a purchase permit anytime in the last 5-10 years, the Police can instantly check to see that it matches up as a gun registered to you. Carrying the permits is a waste of time. For older purchases, or guns bought out of state, it's a crap shoot.

Hey Jon- Mr Moderator- How many times are we going to beat the shit out of this topic? Is it a slow gun day or what?

Meh, it doesn't hurt to have the same topics come up over and over again. The forum is growing, and I'd rather answer the newbs than put them off by telling them to use the search function.

My Dad has been dead since 1982. I own several of his guns. Where's the papers? Who knows! Do I shoot them? You bet!

NO mandatory registration in NJ! He bought some of them prior to "pink slips" being invented.........

BS

He does offer an anecdotal support. True, the "good friend" story may be incomplete, but not totally fair to call BS on only the thesis statement.

Nevertheless, I'm not convinced. There certainly isn't any law or statute that I've ever read that requires the proving of legal ownership. Perhaps this incident occurred in California(where TK421 said his friend BOUGHT the handgun). I think they have mandatory registration of handguns there.

If you bought a handgun on a purchase permit anytime in the last 5-10 years, the Police can instantly check to see that it matches up as a gun registered to you. Carrying the permits is a waste of time. For older purchases, or guns bought out of state, it's a crap shoot.

The online database has been up since 1999, at least here in Bergen County anyways.

I worked with the man for 11 years; I heard that story at least three different times. The pistol was purchased in the San Francisco California area in the early 90s and he was unable to get it back because he could not prove to the police he legally purchased the pistol. He never pursued a lawyer because it would have cost him more to fight it in court than the cost of simply purchasing a new gun which is what he did. With all the bs that goes on in this state, this you find hard to believe?

I worked with the man for 11 years; I heard that story at least three different times. The pistol was purchased in the San Francisco California area in the early 90s and he was unable to get it back because he could not prove to the police he legally purchased the pistol. He never pursued a lawyer because it would have cost him more to fight it in court than the cost of simply purchasing a new gun which is what he did. With all the bs that goes on in this state, this you find hard to believe?

I heard a story once that ............................ you know where I am going with this...

ever play whisper down the lane?

Meh, it doesn't hurt to have the same topics come up over and over again. The forum is growing, and I'd rather answer the newbs than put them off by telling them to use the search function.

^^^ This ^^^

While we do hash a lot of things over and over, the questions still come up so might as well get them answered because either someone wasn't paying attention or they are new and don't know.

I carry it on me at all times, but not cause it's required. It's just that some

gun shops want to see it before you handle a gun and just about all will require

it to buy ammo. I'd hate to be ready to get a gun or ammo and not have it on me.

I recommend you go to a Kinkos or Staples and just have them laminate it. Then

you can carry it in your wallet very easily. That's what I did with mine.

^^^ This ^^^

While we do hash a lot of things over and over, the questions still come up so might as well get them answered because either someone wasn't paying attention or they are new and don't know.

+1

I carry it on me at all times, but not cause I think it's required. It's just that some

gun shops want to see it before you handle a gun and just about all will require

it to buy ammo. I'd hate to be ready to get a gun or ammo and not have it on me.

This applies for the FID and I do also but I believe we're discussing carrying your P2P pink sheets or a copy.