Sign in to follow this  
usnmars

My Match M1 build. Not for purists......

I was digging through my epic parts bin and realized I had enough parts to build a Garand a couple of months ago. All I needed were a few small parts like a clip latch. This started out as a bare receiver from the CMP. I installed a NOS barrel that I had, and reamed to headspace. The stock was a fun "test" project. It was pretty much a piece of fire wood, split all the way down the middle, and a few big chunks missing out of it. I repaired the cracks, inletted some new wood for the missing chunks and glass bed the receiver. The stock had such a purdy grain I couldn't toss it out. So WTF lets have some fun with it. The stock has an untold amount of coats of lacquer on it(If I said how many 'yall would realize what a nutjob I really am) So over a process of 2 months I would spray a few coats of lacquer and wet sand down. The small parts I flame blued, I did the clip latch, safety, trigger, and front sight base. I still need to do the stacking swivel on the gas cylinder. I reamed out the rear ring on the gas cylinder so it doesn't touch the barrel and beveled the tab so it doesn't touch the handguard. The handguard I removed the metal liner, glued on the front metal and the rear band is screwed and glued to the handguard. And finally the finishing touch was a nifty front sight and a set of original national match rear sights. So enough of me blabbing, here are some pics of the newest beauty queen which I am going to sight in tomorrow.

DSC01173.jpg

DSC01165.jpg

DSC01166.jpg

DSC01153.jpg

DSC01171.jpg

DSC01160.jpg

DSC01181.jpg

DSC01183.jpg

Very nice! I love a nice grain wood despite my love of black guns. That is something you don't see on that model gun...

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple...

Well I found out she's a shooter. I also found out my front sight worked itself loose after a couple of clips. Yup I can technically say clips on this one. So here was the target for the day 8 shots at 100 with random HXP. I know the groups will shrink a bit after I tighten the sight up.

DSC01184.jpg