Allmann

Looking for a pocket gun.

Looking for a pistol that would fit in a pocket holster that wont look bulky or feel too uncomfortable. I would like a 45 but i cant find anything that is small enough. I wont go any smaller than 9mm. If you guys know of any pistols that match this description let me know.

I originally wanted the lc9 but i didn't like the trigger reset. I handled the sig 290 and thought the reset was much nicer. Have not fired any of these but will be looking to do so once I narrow it down.

Any help is appreciated thank you

+1 on the CM9. It is very light an compact and a great shooter. Mine has been 100% reliable. You need to get a little familiar with the longer smooth trigger pull of the Kahr but that will happen when you break it in. Can't beat the price either. Small enough to pocket carry in most circumstances unlike the M&P Shield. The Sig P938 is a little tough to find and is more pricey but also nice. It is a 1911 style micro-9 meant to be carried cocked and locked. If you are familiar with carrying a 1911 and sweeping off the safety that may be the choice for you. If you carry a glock or other striker fired pistol without a safety the CM9 is very similar.

I've heard mixed reviews about the LCR as being practical for pocket carry. What's your experience pocket carrying it, Ray?

It's how I carry mine. Some people complained about the hogue tamer grips being too tacky and fat for pocket carry so they came out with the boot grips. I like the hogue grips personally, and i've never had an issue drawing from my pocket.

Kahr pm 9 here, did lots of research before getting it. The pm9/cm9 is the smallest pocket 9 That's affordable, if you wanna be spendy here are 2 very interesting pocket 9s.

Like this alot pk90 has one

http://www.rohrbaughfirearms.com

This is pretty cool too.

http://www.bobergarms.com/notes/XR9_Shorty

I had an lcr side by side with a g26 at the lgs. Looked about the same dimensions except the lcr is about 35% thinner. Is the Shield about the same size as the lcr?

what? do you mean LC9?

East Brunswick Sportsman got a G26 in. I took a look at it - it was pretty wide compared to my Nano. Way too big to pocket carry.

I have a G26 and agree, too thick and too heavy. A single stack 9mm sub compact would be a very nice addition to Glock's lineup. People have been looking for them to make one for years but like the much desired Glock carbine I don't think we're going to see one until Gaston Glock passes on.

The LCR revolver?About the same size . The Shield as a single may be a tad thinner though.

The Shield might be thinner, but it is too big to pocket carry in my opinion. The Nano might be better suited if you want a 9mm.

I'm not trying to discourage the OP, but I would get something smaller than a 9mm (a hammer-less light-weight snub-nose in .38, or .357 that can shoot .38s for a little more weight) for pocket-carry, and get some kind of in-the-belt carry for the 9mm or larger wanted, something like the M&P Shield, Glock 19/26, S&W M&P 9C, etc. depending on my body build, etc. But, this might help: http://www.best9mm.com/compact9mm.html to put an image next to some of the arms being discussed in this thread. It's all about compromise and convenience. I would rather carry a 9mm, but have decided that it would not be practical for me to pocket carry.

In my opinion, pocket carry is to "have something" with you when you cannot carry, conceal something a little larger such as a 9mm. If you can carry a Glock 26 or Beretta Nano in your pocket, then go for it. But there are smaller, lighter alternatives in semi-auto in say .380 or the slightly more potent Makarov (do a search for the Defensive Makarov and Stephen A. Camp) and http://www.hornady.c...itical-Defense/. The North American Arms in .22WMR might be nice for a "pocket" carry, all the time carry, and as a backup, too http://northamerican...s/bw-1/bwm.html and the combo version might be cheap to practice with. The LCR would probably be my first choice, and there is an additional .22LR option for a little practice.

I'd go with something more"shootable" and get something a little larger and find another way to carry it. With the cold weather approaching and p.lenty of carry options, vests, jackets, etc. carrying in a jacket pocket could be an option, too. However, that would require extreme care with an off-body carry Not that concealed carry doesn't already require paying attention.

You also lose a lot of fire-power with these small guns. I think the best all-around compromise would be a Ruger LCR in .357 (an extra couple ounces or so) loaded with regular .38s or the Nano in 9mm. The Kahr and the Diamondback are also popular. Again, another alternative would be the Colt Mustang. The Ruger LC9 is a little too big to pocket carry, and that is why the LCP is popular. I have no experience with it, but the Bodyguard 380 looks nice.

Double Tap derringer in 45 cal - only two shots - but in 45 that is probably all you need (and another 2 in a speed loader)...DA will lock you up otherwise anyway if you use too many. Really small - a true pocket pistol.

http://heizerfirearms.com/

You guys talk like you have carry permits - I thought this forum was just NJ :-).

Yeah , the Shield won't fit in most pockets.It is great for any other type of concealment .

It is a bit taller than the Nano I think , and it was considerably larger than any of the .380s I looked at and tried.

Just curious , when you say "pocket gun" I did not realize it means you intend to really stick it in a pocket? I have seen pocket holsters ..but does anyone just stick a gun in their actual pocket that is not designed for carry? Again , just curious.

Yeah , the Shield won't fit in most pockets.It is great for any other type of concealment .

It is a bit taller than the Nano I think , and it was considerably larger than any of the .380s I looked at and tried.

Just curious , when you say "pocket gun" I did not realize it means you intend to really stick it in a pocket? I have seen pocket holsters ..but does anyone just stick a gun in their actual pocket that is not designed for carry? Again , just curious.

It is not safe to carry a handgun in a pocket without a holster (one that is specifically made for pocket carry), especially if the firearm doesn't have a safety and/or it has a very light trigger. Of course, it is not safe to walk in Atlantic City parking garages, but people do it.

Kahr pm/cm9 is the limit for pocket carry everything else is just bigger unless you spend serious dough imo, the kahr's foot print is only slightly bigger than the ruger lcp which is a .380 caliber, the kahr is noticeably thicker than the lcp but the kahr is 9mm. There will always be trade offs....

Ps i always liked those 45acp derringers, i remember seeing one that shot 4 bullets cant remember the name of it but it looks like a handful...

6c38c93d.jpg

I just started carrying my cm9 in a holster that attaches under my duty shirt to my vest. I forget the gun is there sometimes

Which is how someone can forget they have a gun on them when they go to the airport.