M1152

M&P 15

so today I bought my first AR platform. I’d wanted another long gun this fall and had been looking at range of rifles but finally did the AR platform. Last year I was thinking about trying to build an AR but having never had one I know this was the best route for me. I liked what I seen on the M&P 15 reviews so good enough for me right out of the box. I traded one of my Mini14’s for it and took a beating on the trade but it is what it is.

I’m sure it’s been covered before but I figure I’ll ask again to get the latest. How do these guys do with Wolf and other Russian ammo, or is it best to stick with brass? TIA

P1040571.jpg

so today I bought my first AR platform. I’d wanted another long gun this fall and had been looking at range of rifles but finally did the AR platform. Last year I was thinking about trying to build an AR but having never had one I know this was the best route for me. I liked what I seen on the M&P 15 reviews so good enough for me right out of the box. I traded one of my Mini14’s for it and took a beating on the trade but it is what it is.

I’m sure it’s been covered before but I figure I’ll ask again to get the latest. How do these guys do with Wolf and other Russian ammo, or is it best to stick with brass? TIA

I'd be interested too. Only 15 rounds through mine so far. All Remington .223

That's a fine firearm. Congratulations on the purchase.

Thank you, I've been going back and fourth on the AR platform for a while. Just got it so haven't shot it yet but I have to say I really like the feel and balance of it. I think it is going to be allot of fun and hold up well. I have a few S&W handguns and never had any issues so that's another reason I went for it

I'd be interested too. Only 15 rounds through mine so far. All Remington .223

I'll see what pops here, if needed I'll give S&W a call and see what they say. I'd like to be able to shoot the Wolf and Bear stuff but if not I'll deal with it.

Thank you, I've been going back and fourth on the AR platform for a while. Just got it so haven't shot it yet but I have to say I really like the feel and balance of it. I think it is going to be allot of fun and hold up well. I have a few S&W handguns and never had any issues so that's another reason I went for it

I'll see what pops here, if needed I'll give S&W a call and see what they say. I'd like to be able to shoot the Wolf and Bear stuff but if not I'll deal with it.

Is that a "Sport"? My SSA 77gr 5.56 Sierra OTM order from Cabela's arrived today. .89 cents a round.

I joined the S&W Forum. There is a section on there for the M&P 15 and that's all they talk about. There is a lot of good info on there. http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-m-p15-rifle/

@ Old School -Thanks to the NJGF I have the Saiga 223 as well and the SU16 before signing up here. As you know the S233 could care less and the SU16 will eat anything as well. Now with my Mini (down to one now) I’m guessing the same story as the AR platform, steel case may not be a good idea. OT but I think I remember seeing something like it could ruin the firing pin and/or extractor in the Mini. Yep should change that screen name, How about M&P 15 Sport Novice, LOL.

@ Rifleman1- yes the M&P 15 Sport, again new to AR platform but this is going to should silly but I didn’t want to get in over my head with something too complicated. I was looking at the Ruger SR556 but too much money then I was thinking about building my own but after losing a #8-32 x 3/16’’ last week for my Saiga site I couldn’t see me trying to put one together, that would be the entire project me looking for dropped or misplaced parts… I will check out that forum since I am already looking to upgrade sites

@ cguiro - I’m guess I'm looking to save a buck, you know how that goes. IMO I don’t really see the Silver Bear or Wolf being that dirty but then again you may shoot 5 times more than I do on trip to the range. If I shoot 100 ~ 120 round on a day out that’s a big day

@ dtown223- will look into it further, maybe during the week I'll reach out to S&W and see what they say if I can't reach them by email. I'd like to get their thoughts on the matter.

I shoot federal XM193 out of my AR AND AK.... if cheap steel ammo was cheaper I would shoot it out of my AR for center mass drills.. the consensus is this.. cheap steel cased ammo is dirtier and of less quality the does not perform as well... also the hardness of the case may wear or damage the extractor prematurely.. is it a 556 or 223 upper..

with all due respect I would not have gone this route for an AR... mid length gas system is amazing.. I had an M&P, and it was a GOOD gun.. quality was fine.. but it does not even come close to my home built rifle...

I strongly suggest a good trigger the difference is amazing.. it is likely the single most impacting upgrade you can do..

@ Rifleman1- yes the M&P 15 Sport, again new to AR platform but this is going to should silly but I didn’t want to get in over my head with something too complicated. I was looking at the Ruger SR556 but too much money then I was thinking about building my own but after losing a #8-32 x 3/16’’ last week for my Saiga site I couldn’t see me trying to put one together, that would be the entire project me looking for dropped or misplaced parts… I will check out that forum since I am already looking to upgrade sights.

I bought the same one and am going to sight in an illuminated scope and a red dot scope shortly now that the ammo has arrived. :)

post-2785-0-33311600-1348959450_thumb.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

with all due respect I would not have gone this route for an AR... mid length gas system is amazing.. I had an M&P, and it was a GOOD gun.. quality was fine.. but it does not even come close to my home built rifle...

I strongly suggest a good trigger the difference is amazing.. it is likely the single most impacting upgrade you can do..

I’m sure your custom build beats the snot of this one however for me this is an excellent gateway rifle to enter into AR world. Hell, I’d like to have a custom build chambered in 6.8 MM with a Ruger SR556 and HK416 for backups but I had to start somewhere and honestly this may all I’ll even need. I’ve had good luck with S&W handguns so I expect no less from this so unless there is a total meltdown at the range next week.

I will check the trigger as you suggested but the first order of business will be something like the XS SightSystem like I have on my S233. I recently installed the 24/7 XS Tritium replacement front site on my Saiga after upgrading to the KREBS peep sight suggested the several months back for my S223 by a fellow NJGF member. Both work nicely together for my 50+ year old eyeballs. As far as the ammo I shot of an email to off to S&W to see what they say. I’ll assume they will respond during normal business hours next week however if I get out prior to their response I’ll just go with some PMC, M193 or M885 or whatever I have in brass to play it safe….I think the Sport should serve me well

You should have sold your Mini14 on here versus trading it in. You could have probably gotten a bit more money for it, AND a fellow forum member would have been able to enjoy it. It's a win-win in the marketplace.

I will keep that in mind if I ever want to trade-up for something going forward.

I bought the same one and am going to sight in an illuminated scope and a red dot scope shortly now that the ammo has arrived. :)

Nice, I’m going to stick with the iron sights for now however I would like to upgrade them with something from XS SightSystem since I like what they did for my S223. Not sure what I will replace them with but at the very least the front post has to go....

The mp15 sport was my first choice for an AR but vladtepes talked me out of it. Well not really he made a lot of good points about building one specific to my liking and the results are awesome. Also when he showed me his finished Ar that is posted in this forum, I was sold to whatever he was selling. Here is his beautiful creation --- http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/35972-ar-is-up-and-running/

As for ammo for my Ar, I have been using strictly pmc bronze .223 55gr and you might still be able to catch it on sale at cebalas online for $6 a box plus free shipping. But I do have xm193f and armscor 62gr stashed to try out in the future, but these are all brass.

Also a couple weeks ago I was talking to a couple of guys at the range and they had a mp15 sport as well. That day was there first time shooting their brand new Mp15 sport and all they brought was 5 boxes of Tula ammo .223. Within 10-15 minutes they went thru all the boxes and had no problems what so ever. But I personally have not tried it on mine, just yet.

I’m sure your custom build beats the snot of this one however for me this is an excellent gateway rifle to enter into AR world. Hell, I’d like to have a custom build chambered in 6.8 MM with a Ruger SR556 and HK416 for backups but I had to start somewhere and honestly this may all I’ll even need. I’ve had good luck with S&W handguns so I expect no less from this so unless there is a total meltdown at the range next week.

I will check the trigger as you suggested but the first order of business will be something like the XS SightSystem like I have on my S233. I recently installed the 24/7 XS Tritium replacement front site on my Saiga after upgrading to the KREBS peep sight suggested the several months back for my S223 by a fellow NJGF member. Both work nicely together for my 50+ year old eyeballs. As far as the ammo I shot of an email to off to S&W to see what they say. I’ll assume they will respond during normal business hours next week however if I get out prior to their response I’ll just go with some PMC, M193 or M885 or whatever I have in brass to play it safe….I think the Sport should serve me well

I will keep that in mind if I ever want to trade-up for something going forward.

Nice, I’m going to stick with the iron sights for now however I would like to upgrade them with something from XS SightSystem since I like what they did for my S223. Not sure what I will replace them with but at the very least the front post has to go....

there is absolutely nothing wrong with the gun... the reason I built an AR was so that it would be EXACTLY what I wanted... also the mid length gas system is extremely soft which aids in follow up shots staying on target during rapid center mass shooting.. it is the right gun for me.. the M&P was not... this does not make it a bad choice for YOU.... the gun should run just fine...

sights are definitely important if there will be no optic.. but the reason I said trigger is because it is the ultimate point of contact between you and the weapon system.. it is the point in which you are linked to it.. the smoother it is the better.. my Geissel trigger improved my shooting dramatically..

i am interested to what they say about ammo... my take has always just been it is dirtier slightly less accurate.. and puts a little more wear on parts like the extractor... but please post their response I am interested to what they say..

As far as the ammo I shot of an email to off to S&W to see what they say. I’ll assume they will respond during normal business hours next week however if I get out prior to their response I’ll just go with some PMC, M193 or M885 or whatever I have in brass to play it safe….I think the Sport should serve me well

I couldn't take the time to build my own and went for a reputable name, entry level rifle at an affordable price. It may be all I will need.

For ammo I will be trying out:

PMC X-TAC 5.56x45 55gr. FMJBT XP193 3270fps 1306ftlbs TKOF 5.76

PMC X-TAC 5.56x45 62gr. LAP M855 3020fps 1255ftlbs TKOF 5.99

Silver State Armory 5.56 NATO 77gr. Sierra OTM M262 2750fps 1293ftlbs TKOF 6.78

there is absolutely nothing wrong with the gun... the reason I built an AR was so that it would be EXACTLY what I wanted... also the mid length gas system is extremely soft which aids in follow up shots staying on target during rapid center mass shooting.. it is the right gun for me.. the M&P was not... this does not make it a bad choice for YOU.... the gun should run just fine...

sights are definitely important if there will be no optic.. but the reason I said trigger is because it is the ultimate point of contact between you and the weapon system.. it is the point in which you are linked to it.. the smoother it is the better.. my Geissel trigger improved my shooting dramatically..

i am interested to what they say about ammo... my take has always just been it is dirtier slightly less accurate.. and puts a little more wear on parts like the extractor... but please post their response I am interested to what they say..

I don't think that came out right... I understand and trust me I’m not to be a hard-on. You’re the last person I want to T-off because who’s going to help me over in Saiga land, LOL. You may remember you helped me out with the S223 thru the S308. Again this is not aimed at you but in my view NO one in NJ could build want they really want, all we get in NJ are compliance firearms. However go over to PA where common sense prevails and you can build (or buy) what you really want, enough said...

As much as I enjoy working on my current long guns and pistols I didn’t want to attempt to build one as a new user. It would have been a Rube Goldberg job that’s why I went this route. If I really like the Sport after learning the system then perhaps I’ll try a NJ build as a future project.

As of now you have sparked my interest in the trigger upgrade, I’d be very much interested in that if you think I could do it as a DIY job. Again no knowledge with the AR at all but I’m very confident working on Saiga stuff. I know this is apples and oranges but my last trigger job was upgrading the single hook to double hook. Prior to that I did my SU16 trigger as per

so there you have it, that’s my trigger job background. So if you have specific links or YouTube vids for a Sport trigger job please post at your leisure, it would be greatly appreciated. Again the first task will be front sight upgrade. And yes if/when I hear back from S&W on the ammo I will share their reply but I'm guessing it will mirror what has been stated here. Again thanks for ALL your help.

I don't think that came out right... I understand and trust me I’m not to be a hard-on. You’re the last person I want to T-off because who’s going to help me over in Saiga land, LOL. You may remember you helped me out with the S223 thru the S308. Again this is not aimed at you but in my view NO one in NJ could build want they really want, all we get in NJ are compliance firearms. However go over to PA where common sense prevails and you can build (or buy) what you really want, enough said...

As much as I enjoy working on my current long guns and pistols I didn’t want to attempt to build one as a new user. It would have been a Rube Goldberg job that’s why I went this route. If I really like the Sport after learning the system then perhaps I’ll try a NJ build as a future project.

As of now you have sparked my interest in the trigger upgrade, I’d be very much interested in that if you think I could do it as a DIY job. Again no knowledge with the AR at all but I’m very confident working on Saiga stuff. I know this is apples and oranges but my last trigger job was upgrading the single hook to double hook. Prior to that I did my SU16 trigger as per

so there you have it, that’s my trigger job background. So if you have specific links or YouTube vids for a Sport trigger job please post at your leisure, it would be greatly appreciated. Again the first task will be front sight upgrade. And yes if/when I hear back from S&W on the ammo I will share their reply but I'm guessing it will mirror what has been stated here. Again thanks for ALL your help.

I'm not mad.. lol

the truth is you had the ability to build an AR... they are like legos.. lol you really can't do it wrong...

the trigger is easy.. just gotta take your time!

you gotta have more faith in yourself.. I find guns extremely easy to work on... they are generally pretty logical.. and if you take your time you normally do not run into an issue..

the only thing I have done so far that has approached difficult was cutting the magwell of the Saiga for AR magazines to function.. and it was not even because it was hard.. it wasn't.. it was just that it was a cut.. test.. cut.. test.. process that was really touchy to get just right...

just let me know if you have any questions..

but like I said I strongly believe a good trigger can be the make or break point in a gun since it is your direct attachment point to initiate function of the system.. sure you can aim wrong.. or hold wrong.. but the trigger is what actually initiates the shot.. so best for that to be as good as you can get it..

I couldn't take the time to build my own and went for a reputable name, entry level rifle at an affordable price. It may be all I will need.

That's exactly what I did. My first choice was the M&P 15, but they were not readily available when I was looking last fall, so I ended up getting a Stag Arms Model 2. The only modifications I've made were to add an Aimpoint PRO optic, a single point sling attachment, and a sling. I've run it through a couple of training classes with no problems. Other than that, I'm just using it to punch holes in paper. I've mostly used .223 ammo, as it seems to be more readily available than 5.56 and less expensive.

That's exactly what I did. My first choice was the M&P 15, but they were not readily available when I was looking last fall, so I ended up getting a Stag Arms Model 2. The only modifications I've made were to add an Aimpoint PRO optic, a single point sling attachment, and a sling. I've run it through a couple of training classes with no problems. Other than that, I'm just using it to punch holes in paper. I've mostly used .223 ammo, as it seems to be more readily available than 5.56 and less expensive.

Great minds think alike... I bought mine with that Aim Sports 4x32 illuminated scope and red dot. I bought a single point sling but haven't put it on yet. I am not sure if it will work right on the existing sling attach point on the stock or if I will need to add one on the butt stock tube. I picked up my inventory of 5.56 and will probably switch to .223 for target practice. Maybe I should stop at RTSP after work tomorrow.

First of the month. Time to change the avatar.

I'm not mad.. lol the truth is you had the ability to build an AR... they are like legos.. lol you really can't do it wrong... the trigger is easy.. just gotta take your time! you gotta have more faith in yourself.. I find guns extremely easy to work on... they are generally pretty logical.. and if you take your time you normally do not run into an issue.. the only thing I have done so far that has approached difficult was cutting the magwell of the Saiga for AR magazines to function.. and it was not even because it was hard.. it wasn't.. it was just that it was a cut.. test.. cut.. test.. process that was really touchy to get just right... just let me know if you have any questions.. but like I said I strongly believe a good trigger can be the make or break point in a gun since it is your direct attachment point to initiate function of the system.. sure you can aim wrong.. or hold wrong.. but the trigger is what actually initiates the shot.. so best for that to be as good as you can get it..
S&W replied back to my email ammo question. My question was "I just purchased the (NJ Complaint) Model M&P15 Sport Rifle on sn# xxxxxxx and have a question. Could this rifle run the cheaper Russian ammo like Wolf, Silver Bear or Tula? Please advise". Their reply was the following, “As long as the caliber is correct although we do not recommend this ammo. Thank You” that was it. I followed up with a phone call and the Rep said the Russian ammo could damage the extractor so no Russian ammo for my M&P15 Sport. It would have been a nice option but not a big deal since I never ran it in the Mini14 either.

I found the Geissele YouTube vid for the Geissele Super Semi-Automatic (SSA), nice find. The vid goes into great detail about the install so now that I’ve seen it, you’re correct it looks very easy to upgrade. Definitely going to upgrade the trigger but I want to shoot it stock first to be able to do a comparison and above all make sure everything else is in working condition.

Thank you ALL for the replies, now I just have to shoot it......