Scott204

How do you decide

So the wife and growing family has caused my wife to say, "No more guns. If you want a new one you have to sell one of your old ones." SO my question is this how do you decide what you want to sell? I really don't want to sell any of my guns but really have my eye on a ruger mark II or III. So how do you decide or do you just work lots of over time, buy a used gun and tell her you have had it for a long time.

I have been on the gun austerity program for quite a while now. Find the ones you shoot the least or the one that is a duplicate of one you like better. I sold my Springfield M1A because I like my PTR91 more and because I figured I could live with one 308 battle rifle instead of two.

Sweetheart, it's like this I won't tell you what you can and can not buy and you can blow it out your ass. OK?

I had that conversation back in 1995. I can't fit my gun safe in my closet because all of her shoes and pocketbooks are stacked all the way over onto my side. Mind you, we have seasonal accessory changes, right now the fall shoes and pocketbooks are down from the attic. I have about $22-$25k in firearms, I'll bet since we married in 1995 she spent twice that on shoes, pocketbooks and clothes. At least my spend has resale value. LOL, like I'm ever going to sell anything!

Easy. Just tell her, "No more shoes. If you want a new pair, you have to sell one of your old pairs."

i concur. i love my wife but the shoes/pocketbooks/wallets/clothes take up the entirety of two closets, two dressers and half the bedroom floor.

My wife has the upper hand sometimes as she usually calls and asks permission to spend money on the smallest things.. on the other side of the spectrum, ive bought 4 guns this year and I think I only told her about 1 before I got it. She does pull the guilt card from time to time, but i work 3x more than her :)

I personally don't have this issue. My wife knows in the end, if I needed to sell my guns, I would. That being said, I think common sense needs to be key here.

I will not argue with my wife over material items. In the end, my wife and family mean more to me than anything. I sell stuff that I generally don't shoot much. If I am not shooting it much, generally there is a reason. Also, like Lunker said, I can live with one instead of two.

I personally don't have this issue. My wife knows in the end, if I needed to sell my guns, I would. That being said, I think common sense needs to be key here.

I will not argue with my wife over material items. In the end, my wife and family mean more to me than anything. I sell stuff that I generally don't shoot much. If I am not shooting it much, generally there is a reason. Also, like Lunker said, I can live with one instead of two.

Correct. Bottom line is that guns never come before family. If I needed to I would sell. I buy while I can. If that changes so be it.

One other thing, my wife does not spend a lot of $$ on herself. She is low maintenance. If she wants her hair done, wants a new bag, thinks she wants an ipad well I tell her have at it. Shoot, I even set the appt or surprise her with it. If I have a gun and she says she likes it, she brings her permit over and we transfer it to her.

Ill usually buy my wife a little something if i pick up a new gun. We both like to shop. Her on clothes and stuff for the house, me on guns and other EXPENSIVE hobbies i have. Seems like everything I like costs a lot of money, Golf outings, car/car parts, electronics, etc....

Once again, firearms tend to keep value, so while the collection is growing, so is its value and everything can be sold off if needed...

I dont hide anything from her. I told her, hey, I sold my CM9 so im picking up a M&P Shield, she understands. Im picking up this P229 b/c its a great deal and i want an all-metal DA/SA pistol. And finally Im picking up this Ruger 22/45 so you can shoot it all day when you come to the range with me without complaining about the recoil of the .40 or 357. B/c "hun i got a little bonus this month so ill put $250 of it toward YOUR new range toy" ;)

Thats what i used my last 3 permits on lol

A friend of ours want to go shooting. My wife wants to go too. Hopefully she gets the bug too and she wants as many guns as me

A part of me fears that I'll eventually get a woman that likes guns as much as I do, because then I'll never have the money for the ones that I want to buy. :icon_lol:

A part of me fears that I'll eventually get a woman that likes guns as much as I do, because then I'll never have the money for the ones that I want to buy. :icon_lol:

I guess you'll be that dude at the range with all the pink and purple guns? LOL

Funny, my wife and I were just having this "conversation" the other day. She was complaining that I want to buy another rifle and have 2 permits in the works. I complained that she has to many shoes and bags. So I told her, she only has a certain amount of space in the closet. After that, new one comes in, old has to go. She just smiled and said "ok"!

Right there, I should have known I was in trouble. So we are looking at a gun safe for everything. And I am looking at something that can hold a lot. She gets a brochure with all of the sizes. Wouldn't you know, she went home and measures the amount of space I told her she has, and them took tape and measured the floor where I want to put the safe. And tells me, ohhhh noooo, that is more space then I have. So if you get more space, then so do I. !!!!

I have a feeling this new safe is going to come with an extra 20 pairs of shoes ???