silverado427

I have a WTF question

Today i noticed my neighbor having some trees removed , because of storm damage. I mentioned there was a tree between our property's, that belongs to him leaning over into my yard . He says ok now mean while I mow my lawn , blow all the leaves off it , and rake the flower beds, and sweep the street. Now i hear a chain saw that sounds very close , i look out the front window and they dropped a tree on my lawn ... I walk outside like "ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR FARGIN MIND. I was so pissed off I didn't stop yelling for five minutes. He said the guy told him to drop it right there. I said he don't live here so get that shit off my lawn now @#$%^&... Is it just me or was my neighbor farged up... YOUR COMMENTS ARE WELCOME.

Common courtesy would have been the tree company knocking on your door saying " we have to drop a tree from your neighbors property and it will probably wind up on your lawn. Is that okay?" Then they either drop the tree in your yard with your permission or accidently drop it in your yard and ask forgiveness. I would have been more inclined to say something to the neighbor and not the tree guy.

Very un-cool to drop a tree from his property onto yours without asking permission. Some people work hard and pay a lot of $$ to keep a nice lawn, dropping a tree on it can kill / dig up / leave dents on the lawn. I'm sure if you have damages, technically you could bring him to small claims court over the $$ for repairs. But you have to live next to the guy.... having bad neighbors gets old really quick.

Best bet is to have a respectfully assertive conversation with your neighbor explaining how you feel over the situation. If he's man enough , he will offer to fix it or compensate you for the damages. If he is not, it is up to you to ask. Worst he can say is "no".

How much "lean" did it have? Is it possible that it couldn't have fallen back to his yard? I'm not a lumberjack, but when I cut trees I go with the direction they lean and make adjustments to prevent other damage.

Was anything damaged?

This is in the unpleasant and unorganized territory of "not cool" but "not Hatfield and McCoy worthy."

If nothing was damaged I would be firm, and not only polite, but friendly. Not worth making an otherwise decent neighbor get defensive as a knee-jerk reaction. If I got any flak in return I would send them a bill to replace my lost boot.

Today i noticed my neighbor having some trees removed , because of storm damage. I mentioned there was a tree between our property's, that belongs to him leaning over into my yard . He says ok...

Maybe he thought you were implying you wanted that tree removed, since it hung over your property.

Why else even mention that his tree leaned into your yard?

Wait, so he had a tree leaning over your yard, you asked him to cut it down, when it fell, it fell into your yard (that it was leaning over already) which seems plausible already and you are angry about it. When it was leaning over your yard and you asked him to cut it down, what did you think would happen?

To be honest, didnt you tell him in one way or another that you wanted him to drop the tree? I would say as long as they didn't damage my house by dropping it, I would be ok with it falling on the grass for a bit, I mean the guy is paying to have a potential issue to you property taken care of. If they dropped it and left it there I would be annoyed cause then I gotta clean it up or hire someone to. Just my thought unless I am missing something, with my neighbors I could say hey your stuff is leaning on my property they would say ok and then go inside and forget what I said.

Wait, so he had a tree leaning over your yard, you asked him to cut it down, when it fell, it fell into your yard (that it was leaning over already) which seems plausible already and you are angry about it. When it was leaning over your yard and you asked him to cut it down, what did you think would happen?

That's about what I got out of it. Some folks are hard to please.

You must not have a very good relationship with your neighbor to begin with. I would have cared less if the tree hit my lawn especially if i requested it and he was paying for it. A normal day, i would watch them fall the tree with my neighbor and then we would have some beers and clean up any mess together. Life is way to short to get your panties in a bunch over the small shit.

My thoughts as well.

If it was leaning that way there is less of a chance of it hiting a house when dropping it. You did ask him to cut it down. I would have asked you first, but wouldn't have went ballistic on the guy if he didn't. Maybe you don't have a good relationship with the neighbor? I'd be a little more tactful, you never know when you may need his help.

It's better than what happened to me. I had a branch fall from my tree onto my neighbors lawn. I tol him it would take me a few days but I would get to it. He had trees from his house fall into my yard. None I understand trees go where they go but do you think after I cut up the branch and took it off his property he would offer to help get his off of mine or at least say thanks. Nope didn't say a dn thing. Than this morning I go out and he had he nerve to drag another branch over to my pile not cut up or anything and leave it there. I am not saying anything to keep the peace but really what an ass.

I'm over it now.

It's better than what happened to me. I had a branch fall from my tree onto my neighbors lawn. I tol him it would take me a few days but I would get to it. He had trees from his house fall into my yard. None I understand trees go where they go but do you think after I cut up the branch and took it off his property he would offer to help get his off of mine or at least say thanks. Nope didn't say a dn thing. Than this morning I go out and he had he nerve to drag another branch over to my pile not cut up or anything and leave it there. I am not saying anything to keep the peace but really what an ass.

His tree's littered my property after the storm the top 25' of two of his tree's fell 5' from my house and cars. he didn't even offer to help clean up . It snapped my cut leaf maple in half.

I would have cared less if the tree hit my lawn especially if i requested it and he was paying for it. A normal day, i would watch them fall the tree with my neighbor and then we would have some beers and clean up any mess together. Life is way to short to get your panties in a bunch over the small shit.

Pretty much the way it would go with me. Any of my neighbors would alert me to whatever was going on and I'd come out to watch and consult. I used to work for a logging, lumber and molding company so I know how trees fall and can tell you in 5 seconds if an idiot is on the saw.

If I remember correctly, once the tree falls it becomes the responsibility of the person who owns the property that it falls onto, not where it falls from. That's the answer I got from my homeowner's insurance company. So he did you a favor by cutting it down on his dime. If it had fallen on its own onto your property it would have been on you, at least from an insurance perspective.

Not saying it's right or the neighborly thing to do, but in this case the neighbor seemed to do the right thing.

If I remember correctly, once the tree falls it becomes the responsibility of the person who owns the property that it falls onto, not where it falls from. That's the answer I got from my homeowner's insurance company. So he did you a favor by cutting it down on his dime. If it had fallen on its own onto your property it would have been on you, at least from an insurance perspective.

Not saying it's right or the neighborly thing to do, but in this case the neighbor seemed to do the right thing.

Really, I would have thought it was the owner of the tree who has responsibility. I have a very inconsiderate neighbor and he has two dead trees. Too cheap to deal with them but not cheap enough to buy 50 cars. Hence my opinion above. Any other neighbor I wouldn't care.

I need to check with my agent about this.

You must not have a very good relationship with your neighbor to begin with. I would have cared less if the tree hit my lawn especially if i requested it and he was paying for it. A normal day, i would watch them fall the tree with my neighbor and then we would have some beers and clean up any mess together. Life is way to short to get your panties in a bunch over the small shit.

You Sir, sound like the kind of neighbor I want. Agree %100.

Its probably just me over reacting, Thanks for your honesty. :wild:

Now go apologize to your neighbor for flipping out on him. In a society that is filled with people who hide behind computer screens and stare into cell phones all the time it's good to have positive interactions with your neighbor. You want an ally next door, not an enemy

This is true. Just like if your neighbor has a peach tree and a branch grows over your property, you own the peaches on that limb.

I believe there is an exception. If you can prove that you notified the neighbor ahead of time that his tree was in danger of damaging your property it now becomes his liability. This exact thing happened to a friend of mine. Willow tree fell from the neighbor's property and hit the house. Shifted the entire top floor about 3" His insurance company told him that if he had sent a certified letter to the neighbor explaining that the tree was leaning and was a potential danger the neighbor's homeowner's policy would have paid the bill. He had mentioned it to the neighbor but had nothing in writing to prove it. Live and learn, I suppose.

Its not the owner of the tree thats responsible. My father-in-law neighbor's tree dropped a limb and crushed the back of his car. Both the police and insurance companies said its not the neighbor's fault. Its a NJ Act of God thing. One month later, same tree, another limb broke and crushed the fence and smashed the back window of their other car. Same result, neighbor not responsible. This time, the neighbor called a tree service, the tree was deemed healthy, and they did have some of the sketchy looking branches cut down. This was just before Sandy hit.

Not sure if it matters at this point, but this would be my attitude as well.