Aristoi

Fresh Permits, first handguns advice for a newbie

Hi Guys, Just picked up my permits yesterday. The reason i type this is have been caught by surprise, they came in much earlier than expected. I was not expecting them till a few weeks after the new year. I have 4 pistol permits and ready to go shopping.

I am 5-11 200lbs with larger than average hands typically in XL size gloves. I like the feel of all steel pistols, but have not shot anything yet. I am signed up for the GFH test drive in January, and plan to sign up for First Steps as soon as i buy my first pistol to bring with me.

With my other hobbies i typically get into them much deeper than i usually anticipate when i am a newbie. I most often end up competing in some way or form with them as well. I have learned that i often have sold the initial vehicles and/or gear for better stuff later on that ends up costing more in the long haul. There is something to be said about the learning process as it helps you decide what to get later on, but in some cases it would have been better to buy the purpose built stuff initially regardless of brand type. This process is probably more time consumiung with pistols. I am going to go out on a limb here being a newbie and all and go for the more expensive competition/target models up front. My thought is that even if i don't eventually get real serious about competing they are still fine pistols that are overkill for occasional range time/HD. Alternatively if i do get serious it would be good to already be in the ballpark with the specific models. I would love to hear advise for or against this approach regarding pistols.

My plan is to buy 4 handguns in 6 months:

(1) 22LR- Ruger 22/45, others?

(2) 9MM

On paper i have narrowed it down to these:

CZ75 SP01 Shadow Target

M&P9 Pro

S&W 5906 performance center (if i can find one)

I plan on also trying these before i buy anything: Springfield XDm, Baretta 92A1, Glock 17 gen4, Sig 226

Should i even consider others similar to my primary choice of a CZ75: Baby Eagle, Armalite, Witness?

(1) 45ACP (I have spent little time researching this one so fire away with suggestions i should be loking into)

Kimber Gold Match, others?

I really want a 22LR in there if i can only have 4 pistols. Another option is to drop the 22LR and go for a 40?

Would love to hear some feedback and advise on the above. I am going shopping today, but also would like to hear your thoughts on if the philly gun show is a good place to buy my first pistol. Never been to one, so not sure what to expect if they are good for used and/or new. Is pricing is better than the most competitive local or online, or is it mainly a place to have a large and diverse selection.

Thanks for reading my long first post, i have spent a lot of time on this site lurking and reading as much as i can.

I am in the same boat as you. I get way too deep into all my hobbies and anything worth doing is worth competing in.

You can see my thread a little lower in this section.

I went to Heritage Guild in Easton and tried out all the pistols I was interested in before making my decision. It was very helpful to me and well worth the $100 it cost, as I am 100% confident in the pistol I ended up choosing.

I have zero real experience, so I can not give you any recomendations, re: pistols.

For your choice of 9mm's - keep in mind the magazine capacity. S&W M&P's have factory 15 rounders, as well as the Beretta 92A1, Beretta Px4 Storm, Sig P226. Glock 17 and Springfield XDm you'll be limited to 10 rounders or have blocked mags.

You're certainly done your homework.

IMHO, you can't go wrong with the Beretta 92FS. Go with that gun and you can skip getting a .22LR gun because you can just buy the .22LR Conversion kit for the Beretta and shoot all day for just $0.03 per round. The Sig P226 has a conversion kit as well, but I prefer Beretta. Shoot both and see what you like more. Or buy both. It sounds like you are in the Philly area. Where do you live? If you are in the Philadelphia area, PM me if you want to shoot my Beretta 92FS. I'll meet you at a range in Philly sometime and you can fire it up.

Quel Hoth has an M&P9 Pro, he loves the thing. I've fired both the M&P9 and the M&P9 Pro. Go with the Pro if you want to compete, it has a much better trigger.

If you are a NJ resident, there isn't much advantage in going to a Philadelphia gun show for a pistol since it will have to be transferred via an FFL to NJ. Any money you save on price will be removed by transfer fees. Plus, if you buy it at a local gun store, they will show you how to take it apart and clean it. A clerk at a gun show may be less interested in doing that for you, especially since he can sell on the spot to PA gun owners and you are just going to eat up his time.

I wouldn't go with a .40 caliber pistol unless you are in law enforcement and there is a simple reason why. 9mm costs about $15.00 a box. .40 costs about $18.00 a box. You are effectively paying 37% more for money for 10% more power and 10% more mass and 20% *less* capacity. But if you are a police office and want a carry or range gun and you get a couple boxes a month from your department for practice it's not a bad choice. But if you are a civilian, what would you practice with more? 9mm is just fine for anything you may encounter.

My first pistol was a .40 Caliber Glock .22, but that was back when I wasn't into shooting, I just wanted something for HD that was simple and powerful and more importantly, used by police. I've now standardized on 9mm for HD and .45 / .22 LR for fun.

Finally, if you love the CZ75 SP01, buy it. Life is to short to shoot guns that other people think you should have. Buy what you love.

Welcome to the sport, have fun and be safe and seriously consider joining nj2as.org .

+1. Love mine!

SP101

GP100

Not bad, but the older Ruger Speed Six, or its brothers the Security or Service Six would be nice, too....

Hi Guys, Just picked up my permits yesterday. The reason i type this is have been caught by surprise, they came in much earlier than expected. I was not expecting them till a few weeks after the new year. I have 4 pistol permits and ready to go shopping.

I am 5-11 200lbs with larger than average hands typically in XL size gloves. I like the feel of all steel pistols, but have not shot anything yet. I am signed up for the GFH test drive in January, and plan to sign up for First Steps as soon as i buy my first pistol to bring with me.

With my other hobbies i typically get into them much deeper than i usually anticipate when i am a newbie. I most often end up competing in some way or form with them as well. I have learned that i often have sold the initial vehicles and/or gear for better stuff later on that ends up costing more in the long haul. There is something to be said about the learning process as it helps you decide what to get later on, but in some cases it would have been better to buy the purpose built stuff initially regardless of brand type. This process is probably more time consumiung with pistols. I am going to go out on a limb here being a newbie and all and go for the more expensive competition/target models up front. My thought is that even if i don't eventually get real serious about competing they are still fine pistols that are overkill for occasional range time/HD. Alternatively if i do get serious it would be good to already be in the ballpark with the specific models. I would love to hear advise for or against this approach regarding pistols.

My plan is to buy 4 handguns in 6 months:

(1) 22LR- Ruger 22/45, others?

(2) 9MM

On paper i have narrowed it down to these:

CZ75 SP01 Shadow Target

M&P9 Pro

S&W 5906 performance center (if i can find one)

I plan on also trying these before i buy anything: Springfield XDm, Baretta 92A1, Glock 17 gen4, Sig 226

Should i even consider others similar to my primary choice of a CZ75: Baby Eagle, Armalite, Witness?

(1) 45ACP (I have spent little time researching this one so fire away with suggestions i should be loking into)

Kimber Gold Match, others?

I really want a 22LR in there if i can only have 4 pistols. Another option is to drop the 22LR and go for a 40?

Would love to hear some feedback and advise on the above. I am going shopping today, but also would like to hear your thoughts on if the philly gun show is a good place to buy my first pistol. Never been to one, so not sure what to expect if they are good for used and/or new. Is pricing is better than the most competitive local or online, or is it mainly a place to have a large and diverse selection.

Thanks for reading my long first post, i have spent a lot of time on this site lurking and reading as much as i can.

1. Check out the 22/45 Lite or the S&W M&P 22... my recommendation would be the M&P 22

2. And, since you are going with the M&P 22, then the M&P 9 Pro would be logical. If I was going to get two 9mms, I might get a more concealable one as a second choice, or go with an all-steel one... The CZ 75 Compact might be nice and would kill those two birds with one stone. Or, you could get a M&P 9C or M&P Shield. As an off-the-beaten path idea, why not check out the Charter Arms 9mm revolver?

3. In a .45, you might want to stick with the above theme and get an M&P 45 or 45C. Or a Remington 1911 R1 would be nice and I think the Ruger SR1911 is nice, too. I am sure that the Kimber would be very nice, too. You may want to check out a STI Spartan as well.

I would probably avoid a .40 unless you have available .40 ammo. You might want to consider an M&P or Glock .40 and a conversion barrel/mags to shoot 9mm as well.

Wow, thanks for all the feeback guys, where do i start?

Thanks Nick, i am considering magazines, but do not want it to bias my decision too much and not consider trying pistols with less than ideal magazine choices. If i like 2 guns and they are close, then i think the tie breaker will be magazine.

Hey Kevin, i am signed up for the GFH test drive but it is on Jan 27th, is there another one sooner, or a way to move it up?

mcbethr, thanks for the detailed reply and the offer, that is really cool of you. Unfortunately i am way up in northwest NJ, Sparta which is in Sussex county. I think the closest ranges to me are RSTP and Cherry Ridge. You affirmed my thoughts on the 40. Thanks for that! I may go to the Philly show anyway just to check it out look at and handle all different types of guns. Plus I need all the gear that goes along with the sport so hopefully i can find some cool stuff. I also wouldn't mind checking out shotguns, i wouldn't mind eventually picking up a short barrel tactical HD, and a semi-auto or OU for clay. I shot the 92FS today and liked it a lot. I do plan on joining NJ2AS

A lot of love for the revolvers i see, i won't knock them till i try them. Something tells me my plan of trying to only buy 4 handguns in 6 months to never have to go through the process to reapply for permits will be tough.

Patriot Oak, thanks for all the suggestions i will definelty look into them. I am not up to speed on 45's so that will help. I thought about the M&P 22, not sure how they are as target guns. I definetly want to try one. What are the advantages to having both 22 and 9mm from M&P, if i shoose to pickup the M&P9 Pro? Is it a familiarity and feel sort of thing or parts related? I am not sure how i will be with compacts. I shot 4 pistol rentals today and did not like the smallest of the full size pistols i tried. Not giving up on the compact/more concealable idea, the thought had crossed my mind, but living in NJ and not a snowballs chance in hell being approved for carry unless the laws change. I think the 5906 might fall in this category but have yet to put my hands on one.

So i went to Heritage Guild in Easton today and rented (4) 9mm pistols. PX4, 92FS, M&P9 Pro, and the XDM. I wanted to try more but wow the costs add up quick. I misunderstood the rental policy thinking i could rent 2 for a 1/2 hour, then exchange for another 2 for the other 1/2 hour and be charged for 2 pistol rentals for 1-hour. Plus i noticed my accuracy dropping off later in the session and stopped at 200 rounds. I was already over an hour by 15 minutes and they were cool with me finishing up without charging another hour. I wish i would have tried a Glock 17 or 34 instead of the PX4. Not sure what i was thinking trying that one, it was my least favorite by far and not on my list.

I realized i like all steel/alloy or heavier pistols in general. The Baretta 92FS was the front runner until i tried the M&P9 Pro. Wow, for a polymer pistol it felt great. I liked everything about it, grip feel, balance, trigger, & accuracy. Not sure if sights have dramatic impact on the likeability of a pistol but it also was the only one with a fiber optic sight which i preferred much more over 3 dots. The only thing i did not feel comfortable with is around the safety and indicators. I like the safety and decocker features on the DA/SA pistols and visuals of the hammer position. Even though DA trigger is much different than SA i did not find it objectionable. I thought the XDM indicators for striker and chamber was very cool. I wish the M&P9 had them. Maybe it was a newbie comfort thing and i will get used to it. Overall great day today. Very difficult to not impulse buy my first permit away, but i want to try more before i buy. I might check out RSTP's collection next. The GFH test drive can't come soon enough!

So far i like the following 9mm pistols in this order:

M&P9 Pro

92FS

XDm

PX4

Can anyone give some feedback if the 92A1 feels any different/better than the 92FS? The 92A1 was in the catalog, but not available for some reason.

So i went to Heritage Guild in Easton today and rented (4) 9mm pistols. PX4, 92FS, M&P9 Pro, and the XDM. I wanted to try more but wow the costs add up quick. I misunderstood the rental policy thinking i could rent 2 for a 1/2 hour, then exchange for another 2 for the other 1/2 hour and be charged for 2 pistol rentals for 1-hour. Plus i noticed my accuracy dropping off later in the session and stopped at 200 rounds. I was already over an hour by 15 minutes and they were cool with me finishing up without charging another hour. I wish i would have tried a Glock 17 or 34 instead of the PX4. Not sure what i was thinking trying that one, it was my least favorite by far and not on my list.

I realized i like all steel/alloy or heavier pistols in general. The Baretta 92FS was the front runner until i tried the M&P9 Pro. Wow, for a polymer pistol it felt great. I liked everything about it, grip feel, balance, trigger, & accuracy. Not sure if sights have dramatic impact on the likeability of a pistol but it also was the only one with a fiber optic sight which i preferred much more over 3 dots. The only thing i did not feel comfortable with is around the safety and indicators. I like the safety and decocker features on the DA/SA pistols and visuals of the hammer position. Even though DA trigger is much different than SA i did not find it objectionable. I thought the XDM indicators for striker and chamber was very cool. I wish the M&P9 had them. Maybe it was a newbie comfort thing and i will get used to it. Overall great day today. Very difficult to not impulse buy my first permit away, but i want to try more before i buy. I might check out RSTP's collection next. The GFH test drive can't come soon enough!

So far i like the following 9mm pistols in this order:

M&P9 Pro

92FS

XDm

PX4

Can anyone give some feedback if the 92A1 feels any different/better than the 92FS? The 92A1 was in the catalog, but not available for some reason.

The only reason you would want the 92A1 is if you want to add a tactical light or laser on the rail which the 92FS does not have. They shoot and feel pretty much the same. If you want to change out the front sight on the 92A1 for night sights, it will be easier as well on the 92A1. There is an internal recoil buffer on the A1 which is really not that much noticeable since there is not much felt recoil with either gun. I believe you also only get 10 rounders with the A1 whereas you can get 10 or 15 rounders with the 92FS. I personally feel that rails belong on Glocks, HK's, XD's, and M&P's...

and prefer not to have them on classic looking guns like the 1911, or the Beretta M9 or 92FS.

Can you imagaine a Browning Hi Power with a rail. Good luck with your search. Pick a good one. You look like you are going in the right direction.

Hey NJSigfan, Thanks! I may take you up on that offer, just need to see if i can sneek away on Sunday. Since i have all day Saturday to myself for shopping and the Philly show, I might get some resistance with family priorities. I will drop you a PM either way.

9x19 those are good points on the 92A1, just what i was looking for. The main reason i asked was around the recoil buffer changing the feel and if i should try the 92A1 before i decide. It is good to know it is not a factor. Damn you threw a few new ones at me though, seems everything is tradeoffs: sights, mags, and classic design.

Nick, the M&P9 Pro was a 5" barrel.

Speaking of the M&P9 Pro, i submitted a price request on the forum requesting the 5" barrel and 15 rd mags. I have 2 replies so far saying they are not available for this model. I thought i read on another newbie thread on here (which was very helpful by the way) a list of 9mm pistols with which models were available with 15 rd mags and thought they were available for the M&P9? I know i should not believe everything i read on the forum, but if anyone can help me figure out how to get or be requesting for the 15rd mags on this pistol i would appreciatte it. Is there a special model number not listed on S&W website?

I'm just ahead of you, I just purchased a Sig 226 Elite Stainless, also bought the .22 LR conversion kit so I can use it for both. I'm also signed up for the January test drive at 10 am. Looking forward to trying out some different guns and calibers.

Ed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Speaking of the M&P9 Pro, i submitted a price request on the forum requesting the 5" barrel and 15 rd mags. I have 2 replies so far saying they are not available for this model. I thought i read on another newbie thread on here (which was very helpful by the way) a list of 9mm pistols with which models were available with 15 rd mags and thought they were available for the M&P9? I know i should not believe everything i read on the forum, but if anyone can help me figure out how to get or be requesting for the 15rd mags on this pistol i would appreciatte it. Is there a special model number not listed on S&W website?

Ah - you'll have to get them with 10 round magazines. The 15 rounders are available for purchase direct from S&W or from other resellers, but do not come shipped with the gun.

Was the M&P 9 Pro you tried a 4" or 5" barrel?

Should have been 5" barrel with the fiber optic sights. The 4" one has night sights.

Hey NJSigfan, Thanks! I may take you up on that offer, just need to see if i can sneek away on Sunday. Since i have all day Saturday to myself for shopping and the Philly show, I might get some resistance with family priorities. I will drop you a PM either way.

9x19 those are good points on the 92A1, just what i was looking for. The main reason i asked was around the recoil buffer changing the feel and if i should try the 92A1 before i decide. It is good to know it is not a factor. Damn you threw a few new ones at me though, seems everything is tradeoffs: sights, mags, and classic design.

Okay. I'll be there at 2pm.

Have both the Px4 subcompact and the 92fs. Will be adding the Ruger sr-22 this week. The conversion kit for the 92fs has to come from Italy via U-Boat so who knows when it will arrive in the US. Love the 92fs shoots quite well.

Correct, the MP9 Pro has a longer barrel. S&W does make a factory 15 round mag for it that is available sporadically. When I was recently shopping for one, I had no luck on the forum requests. My other option was to purchase online, either without any mags, find someone to swap for 10 rounders, or ship to a ffl that could block the 17 into 15. All of these options drove up the price. I went to Heritage, since they have a store in PA. They were able to get it for me, they swapped the mags for 15 rd at no extra charge, and the experience was cheaper overall than buying out of state.

Good luck with whatever you get, they are all great choices.

The part number for the S&W M&P 15 round magazines is 39498.

I'd give S&W a call. They may be able to give you an idea of when the magazines might be available again.

The M&P is a fine gun, but you will always be able to find 92FS magazines. The gun is in use by our military, so you will always be able to find parts and magazines.

Big thank you to NJSigfan! We headed out to Heritage in Easton today. He let me shoot his Sig 226 Elite and his Springfiled XDm 45acp. I really liked the Sig and it is definetly a condenter for my next purchase which will be an all metal or alloy frame DA/SA. Shot very similar with weight, feel, and grip ergo similar to the Baretta. I have it slightly ahead of the Baretta 92 with regard to the controls location like slide lock and decocker. The Sig just feels right with intuitive controls. Plus i like the German engineering behing the hammer and firing pin design. I think i perceived the Sig to have slightly more recoil, but when i compared the groupings to the Baretta they were almost identical. This observation is probably irrelevant since i am a beginner shooter with no formal training who's technique is still varying wildly from shot to shot. It would have been good to shoot them side by side, but i was not up for another rental. I don't think I could go wrong with either.

I ended up purchasing the M&P9 Pro series today from Heritage Easton. I wanted a polymer striker fired pistol in my collection and this is the one for me. It was a no brainer when they had the 15rd mags in stock and they swapped them on the spot. This buys me at least a month of more time now to continue my search and decide on my next 9mm which will be an all metal or alloy reame DA/SA. The only one left to try is the CZ and maybe a few of the clones if i can find them. Then on to the 22 and 45. Will keep you guys posted. Thanks for all the help so far, this forum is great! I have learned a lot reading here, and everyone seems to be very helpful to newbies. I just have to be sure to pay it forward!