Pizza Bob

NRA Press Conference 10:45 AM 12/21

funny how they let the protesters signs up for a minute each, giving plenty of screen and picture time. how much do you want to bet a pro NRA protester at an anti-gun rally would have been tackled instantly

This was the NRA's dog and pony show. Letting them spew their nonsense for a minute perfectly illustrated the absurdity of the so-called "mature conversation" we're supposed to be having with them.

Granted we will need to see what Biden comes out with, though I think we all know what it will be focused on, I think think the NRA developing a school shield program in a week will be much more effective than what Biden comes up with.

It doesn't deflect any of Bidon's efforts, though.. the Anti's could still say "Yes, but we can do both.."

I thought it was a good showing...the time to work it out was worth it. LaPierre showed sorrow and a LOT of patience with the heckling and the coming criticism...to me it came off as WISDOM. The NRA took a positive step forward. The only thing I thought was missing was my favorite talking point, that it would be spitting on victim's graves to NOT approach this in a serious way and tackle the REAL problems- not just shriek "gun control" and think you're fixing something.

We can go on from here.

Signed the wife up for two more years yesterday...when I can afford It maybe I'll take the next jump from Life.

It doesn't deflect any of Bidon's efforts, though.. the Anti's could still say "Yes, but we can do both.."

Agree, nothing is going to stop the Dems from pushing for gun control, but was very good to see how constructive the NRA was in only a week bringing a fresh perspective and not the same old ban guns banter that doesn't work.

im proud to have been a benefactor member for 10yrs. i joined the GOA today as a lifer, and im going to contribute more to both.

some people thumb their noses at the NRA.....well the NRA is the top dog when it comes to gun rights. its the NRA that was attacked, its the NRA that gave the press conference, and its the NRA that is the largest and most public 2A rights advocate. you never hear of 'we're awaiting the GOA/SAF press conference.' join and contribute to them ALL

Great idea by the NRA, but I do think it would have been helpful if they at least addressed the background check issue since we all agree (I hope) that mentally ill people shouldn't be able to purchase guns. There have got to be ways to improve the system in that respect without infringing on anyone's rights. I'd be surprised if any schools in outside of states that are extremely gun friendly are willing to be associated with any NRA sponsored program.

I'm sure it's a coincidence that the White House responded to the 'Gun Control Petitions" at the same time as the NRA press conference...

http://abcnews.go.com/ABC_Univision/Politics/obama-responds-petitions-calling-end-gun-violence/story?id=18035642#.UNSS-0E60Z4

"Here's what I think we should do," Obama continued. "This week I called on Congress to take up and pass common-sense legislation that has the support of the majority of the American people, including banning the sale of military-style assault weapons and high-capacity ammunition clips, and making sure criminals can't take advantage of legal loopholes to get their hands on a gun."

it would have been helpful if they at least addressed the background check issue since we all agree (I hope) that mentally ill people shouldn't be able to purchase guns.

We are in agreement on that, but please also remember that the SH shooter tried to buy guns and was denied, so this particular aspect of the system apparently worked.

We are in agreement on that, but please also remember that the SH shooter tried to buy guns and was denied, so this particular aspect of the system apparently worked.

I thought he wasn't denied, but rather when told he would have to pass the check and have the waiting period, he declined to purchase.

Yes, but in other cases it didn't work (eg Virginia Tech). Also, there needs to be a way from discouraging people with mentally ill people living in the home from owning guns. I'd like to see a law in place enforcing that. I know others disagree, but the topic should at least have been raised during this press conference.

BTW, I think it was a pretty terrible train wreck. They will get ridiculed left and right, the nightly shows will have a fricking field day with them. The side trip into video games was idiotic, and pointless. Is not that I don't agree with the message they were trying to send, but damn it ... 3 old white guys lecturing on video games and movies? If that doesn't look out of touch I don't know what does.

I thought he wasn't denied, but rather when told he would have to pass the check and have the waiting period, he declined to purchase.

You are probably right, I read somehere that his NICS check was denied, but a quick web search indicates that he did not follow through with the paperwork.

BTW, I think it was a pretty terrible train wreck. They will get ridiculed left and right, the nightly shows will have a fricking field day with them. The side trip into video games was idiotic, and pointless. Is not that I don't agree with the message they were trying to send, but damn it ... 3 old white guys lecturing on video games and movies? If that doesn't look out of touch I don't know what does.

I was listening via my phone with a few cowotkers and they were all into it. Once he started on the video games and movies I was almost embarassed. The feed slowed down too much to listen to so I gotta catch the rest at home.

Awesome response. I for one would feel much better with an armed "good guy" protecting my child while he/she is at school then hoping some do-nothing feel good legislation (ban this or that, or "gun free school zone") would protect them.

That was my thought too.. would have been better if they ended it by waving their canes in the air screaming "Get off my lawn" :)

I agree with the plan to protect the schools, though I think it should focus on arming and training certain faculty vs additional staff as it would be less of a hit on the school budgets. The segways into mass media, video games, TV and Movies just seemed not well thought out.

Agree 100%. I was never a fan of Wayne LaPierre (even his name is terrible) and I'm less of a fan now. That said, I am will remain a member and will continue to contribute because I feel like I have no other alternative.