TheSingularity

Here it is, just released - official outline of Dianne Feinstein's new proposed assault weapons ban

Exact copy paste from her US Senate website:

Following is a summary of the 2013 legislation:

Bans the sale, transfer, importation, or manufacturing of:

120 specifically-named firearms

Certain other semiautomatic rifles, handguns, shotguns that can accept a detachable magazine and have one military characteristic

Semiautomatic rifles and handguns with a fixed magazine that can accept more than 10 rounds

Strengthens the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban and various state bans by:

Moving from a 2-characteristic test to a 1-characteristic test

Eliminating the easy-to-remove bayonet mounts and flash suppressors from the characteristics test

Banning firearms with “thumbhole stocks” and “bullet buttons” to address attempts to “work around” prior bans

Bans large-capacity ammunition feeding devices capable of accepting more than 10 rounds.

Protects legitimate hunters and the rights of existing gun owners by:

Grandfathering weapons legally possessed on the date of enactment

Exempting over 900 specifically-named weapons used for hunting or sporting purposes and

Exempting antique, manually-operated, and permanently disabled weapons

Requires that grandfathered weapons be registered under the National Firearms Act, to include:

Background check of owner and any transferee;

Type and serial number of the firearm;

Positive identification, including photograph and fingerprint;

Certification from local law enforcement of identity and that possession would not violate State or local law; and

Dedicated funding for ATF to implement registration

That entire outline sucks. Won't ever pass. I really want to see what weapons are specifically named.

Don't you understand, they have to pass the bill so you can see what's in it. (For those of you who don't get the reference)

Don't you understand, they have to pass the bill so you can see what's in it. (For those of you who don't get the reference)

yes they do not read the bill anymore, they pass it and then figure it out..we are still figuring out one gun a month in many parts of the state..

I've previously posted elsewhere that I am dissatisfied with the NRA's response to Newtown. And I am. But it doesn't matter anymore. The more I read about what's being proposed -- this new AWB proposal, Governor Cuomo's gun confiscation plan, the publishing of gun owners' names and addresses in NY, NJ Assemblyman Cryan's 5 round magazine limit proposal, etc., etc. -- the more I feel that I have no choice but to join the "no compromise" camp and unreservedly support the NRA. I'm a moderate by nature, some might even call me a "RINO", but when it comes to the Second Amendment it appears that there is no room for compromise or even discussion. Sad, really. But when faced with what is a clear attempt to strip our freedoms and turn this country into England and Australia, I really don't think there is a choice anymore.

So, highlights as I see them:

-grandfathered guns would need to be registered under the National Firearms Act (complete with background check, etc.). When you die, so do these grandfathered guns.

-120 specifically-named banned guns (no further details...)

-two characteristics test moved down to just one to qualify as an assault weapon. So basically, the simple existence of just a pistol grip would be enough to qualify. Thumbhole stocks specifically banned since they are a "work around" on a pistol grip.

So, highlights as I see them:

-grandfathered guns would need to be registered under the National Firearms Act (complete with background check, etc.). When you die, so do these grandfathered guns.

-120 specifically-named banned guns (no further details...)

-two characteristics test moved down to just one to qualify as an assault weapon. So basically, the simple existence of just a pistol grip would be enough to qualify. Thumbhole stocks specifically banned since they are a "work around" on a pistol grip.

The way I read that, you would be able to transfer them, but it would be subject to the same $200 transfer tax and 4 month wait MGs are now.

Detachable magazine plus pistol grip (even thumbhole stock) would be banned. The pistol grip is the one qualifying military characteristic.

I was originally gonna say what about a completely stock Saiga rifle, but based on the list used on (failed) proposals in recent years, look for Saiga to be on the specifically-named list.

Just got a drudge siren alert saying the senate is going for our handguns...

I wonder what happened to worrying about balancing our budget??!

Ugh- need to go buy all the toys I can ASAP so it can be grandfathered in? Jeeez

So we have to take our guns to the police station to be inspected for legality? The same place where half the police think its OK to take 6 months for a pistol permit? The same place where they make up their own laws?

So one town will say that a NJ compliant AR is legal, while the other one will claim that its not. Wait until you bring an AK variant in!

LOL, have our local PD confirm the legality of our guns. Sure that will work. In essence, every NJ gun that looks scary will be failed, and then what? We have to leave them at the PD?

My blood is boiling.

Exact copy paste from her US Senate website:

Following is a summary of the 2013 legislation:

Bans the sale, transfer, importation, or manufacturing of:

120 specifically-named firearms

Certain other semiautomatic rifles, handguns, shotguns that can accept a detachable magazine and have one military characteristic

Semiautomatic rifles and handguns with a fixed magazine that can accept more than 10 rounds

Strengthens the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban and various state bans by:

Moving from a 2-characteristic test to a 1-characteristic test

Eliminating the easy-to-remove bayonet mounts and flash suppressors from the characteristics test

Banning firearms with “thumbhole stocks” and “bullet buttons” to address attempts to “work around” prior bans

Bans large-capacity ammunition feeding devices capable of accepting more than 10 rounds.

Protects legitimate hunters and the rights of existing gun owners by:

Grandfathering weapons legally possessed on the date of enactment

Exempting over 900 specifically-named weapons used for hunting or sporting purposes and

Exempting antique, manually-operated, and permanently disabled weapons

Requires that grandfathered weapons be registered under the National Firearms Act, to include:

Background check of owner and any transferee;

Type and serial number of the firearm;

Positive identification, including photograph and fingerprint;

Certification from local law enforcement of identity and that possession would not violate State or local law; and

Dedicated funding for ATF to implement registration

This is where it begins. This lays the foundation for future confiscation. They don't know who has what, so confiscation would be a problem today. Not once this passes.

I also doubt it will pass in this form, but that is the game plan. Start with the maximum and see how much you can compromise this time. Keep grabbing more and more each time.

I am actually kind of glad the new proposed bill is this bad. The worst the bill is for us, the less likely the bill would pass. If it was basically just a copy and paste of the 94 one, it would be much easier for politicians that "support gun rights" but want to make it look like they're doing something, to accept. It is much easier to call it a reasonable restriction when it really is only a minor annoyance to gun owners. With as tough as the restrictions are with this proposed bill, those with wavering support for gun rights are less likely to jump ship. This proposed bill than just turns into a waste of time where nothing happens. While those that want to reenact the AWB would then try to start again after this fails with one being closer to the one in 94, the more time that passes the less support it will get due to the less public pressure on the politicians. The worse the proposed bill for us is the better off we are.

We should do a group buy for a large piece of land in a free state. Montana my be a little cold haha

Montana has awesome gun laws, not very populated so no one to bother you. I would definitely been in for a group buy on land, if not Montana where would you suggest?