KPAYNE8813

SCOPE ON A REVOLVER

not sure if anyone here has talked/done this but Im looking into putting a scope/sight on my taurus 44 magnum handgun, just wondering what would be the best bang (see what i did haha) for the buck? what should i stay away from ect

-payne-

I'd look into some type of red dot sight, rather than a scope. Some of the small ones would be particularly well suited. Burris Fast Fire, Leupold Delta or C-more STS.

Another consideration is to change the configuration of your sights. What has worked really well for me (and I am a graybeard - literally) is a fiber optic front sight and more space around the front sight blade, accomplished by either using a narrow blade (.100") with a standard rear notch (.125"), or a standard front blade (.125") with a wider notch in the rear sight leaf (.140"). The extra daylight around the front sight blade and the FO insert makes the sights easy to pick-up.

All of the above are pretty easily found for a S&W, I don't know about availability for a Taurus.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I have the c-more sts mounted on my g20. It has survived the abuse of thousands of rounds of 10mm and still holds zero perfectly. It should hold up the the 44 just fine. If you don't want/need the magnification I would look into a red dot, much quicker target acquisition.

hey thanks i was just on the cmore site looks good, hopefully ill find something that will work well and be able to handle the 44, i think im leaning more to quicker target acquisition regardless of me not hunting with it

Here ya go. I bought this little thing as a police trade-in, couldn't see with the crappy sites they have on it. Might have been useful for up-close and personal, but not at 15+ yards, at least not with my eyes, so I drilled and tapped the frame, stuck a piece of rail on it and a spare cheapo red dot.

Model_64_D.jpg

PS: Ray Ray hates this!

its a 6 1/2" barrel has the ports on the top of the barrel, and it looks like i could clamp an optic to it since it runs with the barrel and looks like a rail system hopefully the pitcure will upload this is pretty much what mine looks like

post-5854-0-53794300-1357749809_thumb.jpg

I'm not familiar with tarus revolvers, but on a s&w UNDER the rear sight leaf it would be drilled and tapped to accept a mount of some sort. Do a little googling on your particular revolver and check under the rear sight by removing it, and checking for drilled and tapped holes.

I put a C-More Slidride with a Allchin mount on one of my competition revolvers.

http://www.cmore.com/slideride.html

http://www.allchingunparts.com/

8291622936_c202bdbbc3_c.jpg

Do a little googling on your particular revolver and check under the rear sight by removing it, and checking for drilled and tapped holes.

....or open the cylinder and look at the underside of the top strap :rolleyes:

Here ya go. I bought this little thing as a police trade-in, couldn't see with the crappy sites they have on it. Might have been useful for up-close and personal, but not at 15+ yards, at least not with my eyes, so I drilled and tapped the frame, stuck a piece of rail on it and a spare cheapo red dot.

Model_64_D.jpg

PS: Ray Ray hates this!

making a simple firearm into a monstrosity of a mess

:facepalm:

making a simple firearm into a monstrosity of a mess

:facepalm:

Just for you buddy!

Wait 'till your old like some of us and can't see.............

Now, that little S&W was fine up-close, but if I have to use the sites on it, forget about it!

The pic is from Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior, an Australian flick from 1981 starring Mel Gibson. It's the second movie in the Mad Max trilogy.

In this awful movie, set in the Australian post-apocalyptic desert wasteland, a gang of vicious outlaws have surrounded an outpost of survivors who built a walled city around one of the last oil wells. The leader of the outlaws is named Humongous, pictured above. He and his army of villains -- who wear football pads, leather and hockey masks, and who drive '57 Chevys and dune buggys -- lay siege to the outpost until Mel Gibson shows up and road battles ensue.

Humongous's prize possession in this flick is an S&W 29 with a giant scope, shown below. When OP said he wanted to scope his .44, this is the first thing that came to mind. Did no one else grow up watching horrible sci-fi?

revolv_zps1a78c350.jpg

I'm not familiar with tarus revolvers, but on a s&w UNDER the rear sight leaf it would be drilled and tapped to accept a mount of some sort. Do a little googling on your particular revolver and check under the rear sight by removing it, and checking for drilled and tapped holes.

I put a C-More Slidride with a Allchin mount on one of my competition revolvers.

http://www.cmore.com/slideride.html

http://www.allchingunparts.com/

8291622936_c202bdbbc3_c.jpg

that's really nice grips.

I would like to try pistol hunting in Delaware so I put a red dot on my GP100. I've had it out to the range a few times to sight it in and get used to it. I'm still getting used to it. I'm not getting the accuracy I expected.

I'm using a Jack Weigand Scope mount, which is very stable. I was using an el-cheepo red dot that I had sitting around which needs to be upgraded.

I've got a Leupold 4x pistol scope on my S&W 500. It's hard to get used to it, takes a fair amount of practice, but it can be deadly accurate out to 100 yards. If you can rest the gun for stability it would be perfect for hunting. For target shooting i prefer a red dot and i have one so i switch back and forth between the two. When people who aren't used it to try the scope they find it very hard to use, they prefer the red dot.

post-6244-0-95962200-1360865304_thumb.jpg