Sign in to follow this  
compujas

Trenton Gun Buy Back - Transportation Exemption

Didn't see this posted yet. I guess they finally got the hint that these are illegal, so they decided to just ignore the law and make it known this time.

http://www.nj.com/me...t_river_default

For those who worry about running afoul of the law when moving their firearms to the drop-off sites, authorities have issued an exception for those legitimately en route to give up the guns.

“My understanding is amnesty is to be provided for anyone who establishes truthfully that someone is participating in the gun buyback,” said Leland Moore, a spokesman for the attorney general’s office.

However, residents should still be extremely careful while transporting their firearms.

Guns must be unloaded when they’re transported and secured, either by locking them in the trunk of a car or placing them in a closed and fastened case, gun box, or package, the attorney general’s office said.

I would rather have the gun legally destroyed and forfeit the money that support that kind of crap

Why?

I'm not trying to be argumenative.

I honestly don't know much about either side of the gun buy back discussion and haven't given it much consideration, but from what little I've given it this seems to be one of the area's where it might help our cause, not hurt it.

So enlighten me but be nice...I'm a noob.

I would rather have the gun legally destroyed and forfeit the money that support that kind of crap

that makes no sense. turning them in IS having them legally destroyed. you might as well turn them in then burn the money they give you if thats your philosophy.

personally, id rather keep a worthless gun id never use then ever turn it in

Where does the money come from for these programs? In many cases they claim they are not funded by taxpayer dollars, but which belt is being tightened elsewhere to support these? that money couldn't have been spent to support something that would actually be productive?

To answer your question, Kingsoverqueens, yes, that implication is there every time they report "we removed eleventy jillion guns from the street" to the media and inquiring parties.

Thanks Nick. I appreicate your point of view.

It's an interesting perspective, and one that rings home. My interest in buy backs stems from a bunch of old crap that I'm trying to help my father get rid of and raise much needed cash as the same. Funny that you mention top breaks because one of them is a top break, as it happens.

I wonder if insurance companies have any valid standing to sue them for these "buy-backs". Imagine if they found stolen cars and simply crushed them? If these guns being turned in were in actuality stolen and an insurance claim was paid to their owners they are technically the property of the insurance companies. Also if the owners of stolen firearms didn't have insurance, aren't they destroying the original owners' property illegally if they are not even trying to return them? Imagine if a cop "lost" a firearm (we know that never happens ;) ) and someone found it and just took a band saw to it. Do you think they would be a little pissed-off if they figured it out?

That is a very common scenario...if it works there is a market for it....just sayin

No doubt, however, compare the effort/reward involved to properly market a cruddy old top break v getting a quick fiddy from the man, yo. It's a tough decision, but I don't disagree with the points you've made. I'm still in the process of trying to find the knurled end for a mossberg c-lect choke for the .410 shotgun he gave me. It's not worth anything really, but is a fun gun to shoot every now and then. Given this your comments ring true.

I wonder if insurance companies have any valid standing to sue them for these "buy-backs".

No doubt they have standing however do they have the resources to dedicate to combing through piles of old guns.

I'll give you an example. One of my clients was a retired cop. His house was broken into and his old snub nose revolver was stolen. Many years later the gun was recovered and the insurance company took possession of it (this was in Virginia) and then contact me to contact the client to see if he wanted to buy it back from them. Client wasn't interested in it but offered them something like 50 bucks. They declined and I have no idea what became of the gun.

Considering how difficult it is to buy/sell guns in NJ, I don't see this as a viable process, but to answer your question...yes, they would have standing.

I have to agree with NickJc. I would not participate in a gun buyback on principle alone. You know why? Because they take pictures and it gets plastered all over the newspapers. The Government and the police then get to crow about how they "took guns off the streets." I'm not contributing to that effort at all.

I have to agree with NickJc. I would not participate in a gun buyback on principle alone. You know why? Because they take pictures and it gets plastered all over the newspapers. The town and the police then get to crow about how they "took guns off the streets." I'm not contributing to that effort at all.

Exactly.

Stats? On what?

Is there an implication that guns that are turned in are illegal guns?

Again, not trying to be argumenative. Trying to understand the opposition so that I can be better informed.

Nick does have a point..they have a hostory of crowing over the numbers of guns "Gotten off the Street" and failing to mention that the majority are junk...

Thanks Nick. I appreicate your point of view.

It's an interesting perspective, and one that rings home. My interest in buy backs stems from a bunch of old crap that I'm trying to help my father get rid of and raise much needed cash as the same. Funny that you mention top breaks because one of them is a top break, as it happens.

Wouldn't happen to be a top break 22 would it?? If so, let me know. Frankly if any of them are 22's let me know!!

I know of one instance that a Browning Hi power....nazi occupation....2 mags holster etc...and was just turned and thrown into a junk pile...

THAT is a friggin shame....

But beyond that...some need a quick buck...it works for them fine...not for me....

Tell me about it... I saw - count them, not 1, not 2, not 3, but F-O-U-R, yes 4, Sig P210-1s turned in 2011 while visiting friends in California. Apparantly the PD was proud as a peacock with getting them off them street because they blogged their entire haul on their website. Some poor fool who turned one, and prayfully not all, of those P210-1s in traded a sought after, greater than >$2000 pistol for a $100 gift card!!! There was also a makeshift table of 4'x8' plywood with S&W revolvers on it and I could identify at least a dozen that would command $800+!

"Up to $250.00" usually means "assault guns" , less for handguns, and even less for long guns. If someone has a source for the specific amounts please share. I participated in a gun buyback (funny wording, they never owned it, how can they be buying it back?) In Wall Township some years back, it was homeland security, the crowd had mostly junk, one guy I talked to had nice stuff, I tried to tell him to go to a sporting goods store but he just said his wife wanted them gone, poor fool. I was getting rid of a handgun that wasnt on the banned name list when I got it but then they added weight and it failed that test so wasnt worth chance of keeping it. The look on their faces when it came out of the brown paper bag, mac 10 appearance with fake silencer andhi cap mags was priceless. When I was done, outside the trailer was someone who said they were a reporter and talked with me. I dont think they were a reporter, it was really weird but I made sure to explain the problem was poorly written laws that keep changing.