Kaiser7

Magazine reduction (15 to 5) Bill just introduced into NJ Senate (Think it's a new bill)

x. "Semi-automatic" means a firearm which fires a single projectile for each single pull of the trigger and is self-reloading or automatically chambers a round, cartridge, or bullet.

y. "Large capacity ammunition magazine" means a box, drum, tube or other container which is capable of holding more than [15] 5 rounds of ammunition to be fed continuously and directly therefrom into a semi-automatic firearm.

Goodbye 6+ shot revolvers. I know it isn't what they intend, but the unintended consequences of these shittily written laws are worse usually.

As another bad example, and one I'm sure New Jersey may soon be plagerizing, is New York's SAFE Act which has pretty much covered everything. Rather than get into nitpicking over definitions of drum vs. clip vs magazine, the politicians lumped everything under something called an "ammunition feeding device," whichs covers everything across the board.

For example: Your Marlingtonchester .44 Mag. 10 or 11 shot lever-action can now only be loaded with 7 rounds. Your S&W 627 8-shot revolver can only be loaded with 7 rounds.

This is a rather despicable display of Legislative one-ups-man-ship. First it started with NY State being first to beat the Federal government and now it's NJ looking to beat the Federal Government. NJ wants to be first at the most restrictive regulations.... bunch of A$$es.

The law and bill bans mags for semi-autos, not revolvers or lever-actions.

Funny how their definition for what a semi-auto works can also be applied to a revolver. I also don't see a definition for a revolver at all. Not saying they are purposely setting up the law to already to be on the books to already technically outlaw 6 shooters, just saying this shows how stupid the people are that are writting these laws.

"Semi-automatic" means a firearm which fires a single projectile for each single pull of the trigger and is self-reloading or automatically chambers a round, cartridge, or bullet.

My revolver fires a single shot each time I pull the trigger and self reloads when I pull the trigger for a second one.

Just called and left a message on the VM, will call again later today. I will get a letter in the mail today and start faxing the senate majority leader as well as the bill sponsors.

When I fax the bill sponsors I simply state that I am a law abiding NJ citizen, no way for them to figure out whether or not I am in their district. But I also state that I do not agree with said bill and will not suport any member of the state legislature that sponsors or votes for this bill.

Sent faxes to Sweeney and Weinberg. Can't locate Senator Gordon or Codey's faxes (they are the co-sponsors of the 5 round bill) but I will call them. Text of my fax:

I am writing regarding the pending Senate bills that would reduce legal firearms magazine capacity from the current 15 round limit (which has been law for over 20 years) to either 10 or 5 rounds (without a grandfather clause!). One question: WHY? Has common sense completely gon out the window?

An arbitrary reduction in legal magazine capacity to 5 or 10 rounds, as has been proposed, would have a very real and very negative impact on law abiding NJ gun owners. Such a change would: 1) turn law abiding people into instant felons and expose law abiding people to serious felony charges for simple possessory offenses; 2) have a severe financial impact on people who would need to dispose of numerous expensive firearms magazines without compensation; 3) constitute a back door de-facto firearms ban as many commonly-owned firearms would be rendered useless if no compatible reduced-capacity magazines are made available; and 4) seriously impede on law abiding citizens’ ability to defend themselves.

And what is the purported reason for the change? Is it because, as Senator Gordon has suggested, "no one needs more than 5 rounds to hunt a duck?" Is that a rationale for this legislation? The Second Amendment is NOT about duck hunting -- it is about the fundamental right of self-defense (please read the Heller and McDonald cases if you haven't already). You and all other legislators have sworn to uphold the Constitution and your consitutents expect you to consider the impact of proposed legislation. These bills, and the other 40 or so pending gun bills, would do nothing to improve public safety and would only harm law abiding citizens. I ask you not to bring them to the floor of the Senate

I have been thinking the same thing. Called anyway. We need to be heard. This option (calling, emails, faxes, letters, etc) is better than the alternative, at this point!

I've had the same thought. I don't care anymore. We need to speak up effectively, intelligently, and respectfully but loudly. If we are at the point where we are afraid to speak up we are already doomed.

No need to worry about these bills anymore, they are now more focused on outlawing jug handles on our roadways

That is a very good thing, I am fairly certain they are responsible for far more deaths and injuries than are legal gun owners!!!

As a NJ non-native, they're another sign of mental illness.

The mental illness is the fact that they feel the need to pass a law banning jug handles instead of sending an email over to the engineer designing the roadway telling them not to put a jug handle in the plans

The mental illness is the fact that they feel the need to pass a law banning jug handles instead of sending an email over to the engineer designing the roadway telling them not to put a jug handle in the plans

I would hope the title of Engineer comes with enough education/experience to allow said individual to determine whether a jug made sense for a particular intersection or not.. Independent from meddling from Trenton.

Called Majority office - they logged me in....Called Governers office, women sounded half asleep and didn't even want my name...

If this goes through (unlikely I hope), would we have Illegal Magazines or "Undocumented-Magazines"? :-)...

The world is tipsy-turvey, the good are criminals, the law breakers are "missunderstood".

Shore Shot pistol range has this bill highlighted on the home page asking folks to take action...This whole thing is outragous, putting folks at risk so politicians can make a name for themselves.

No need to worry about these bills anymore, they are now more focused on outlawing jug handles on our roadways

Are you kidding, or are you serious? I'm not sure if I should be happy or not XD.

Thanks for posting. Called as well.

Any time, whenever I see stuff I'll post, I thank you, and everyone else who called, emailed, snail-mailed, faxed, etc. You guys are protecting my rights as well as your own;

If we dont need 15 rounds to kill a deer (one of the many excuses for smaller capacity magazines) who is to say you dont need two guns to kill a deer? How long before they tell you how many guns you can have? You only have two hands, right?

My brother actually said this. He said that you should be limited to 2 guns because you only have two hands. I think he's been watching too many John Woo movies.

My brother actually said this. He said that you should be limited to 2 guns because you only have two hands. I think he's been watching too many John Woo movies.

Next they will be saying that that is actually unfair to people who are disabled and only have 1 hand... then they will say well there are people who do not have hands at all... completely unfair to them so no guns allowed!