jm1827

House democrats looking to decriminalize marijuana

I just saw this, and if I am reading it correctly there are democrats in the house that are introducing bills that would decriminalize marijuana use and leave it up to the states to decide on the legality? This is the same house that feels the federal government needs more laws on gun control.

Once again, it appears as though there are no more pressing issues for our lawmakers to deal with.

So, pot is good guns are bad? I just don't see the reasoning here, please correct me if I am wrong.

http://health.yahoo.net/news/s/nm/democratic-lawmakers-seek-to-decriminalize-and-tax-pot

The two things have nothing to do with each other. The history of why marijuana is illegal is enough of a reason to legalize it. It's criminalization was a complete and utter sham that had nothing to do with it's effects on health, use as a gateway drug, or danger to society.

They estimate a total tax collection of 20 billion a year which 50% would go to the federal defecit, the other 10 billion would be be split in 2 half to law enforcement and the other half to drug addiction treatment programs. Great now the gonverment is going to be our pimp by getting people hooked then providing the hand out to the poor dieased addicted people. This is an excellent way to get more lambs in to their giant herd of sheep that need them the liberals to be their

nanny and take care of them. This is going to be a huge mess and if it goes through the path leading down to failure.

I have no issue with making it legal and taxing it...

making it legal..

* reduction of people in the criminal system over a personal choice that does not impact society

* increased revenue through taxation

* reduction of crime associate with the "black market"

It would be next to impossible to tax and that is why I think it has taken so long to decriminalize it. Unlike tobacco one would not need a field of it to support your habit. I couldn't tell you the last time some of my friends and family have bought peppers or tomatoes. Same idea.

I have no issue with making it legal and taxing it...

making it legal..

* reduction of people in the criminal system over a personal choice that does not impact society

Agreed that is why it should be decrimilized in all states but not legal, just like peeing in public nothing more

then a fine, unless you are driving high.

* increased revenue through taxation

You know in the end it will be squandered and nothing will change in DC they will just spend more on trying to stop addiction while at the same time providing the path to addiction.

* reduction of crime associate with the "black market"

I disagree with this, since it's going to be taxed so high per ounce it will be expensive so why buy legal weed when we can get it for half the price on the black market. Right now I read an ounce costs anywhere from $250-$400.00 depending on quality and type, now add 50% on top of that from the grower to the seller then another $50.00 per ounce when selling to the customer. Sounds like a lot for somthing I can get around the corner for $250.00.

the reason people will buy legal weed.. is the same reason they are already buying legal weed... to avoid going to jail...

legalization is ideal because there should not be feel good laws that have marginal impact on society.. banning guns.. does not stop people from getting them... just like banning drugs does not stop people.. legalization at least allows a marginal level of control..

the reason people will buy legal weed.. is the same reason they are already buying legal weed... to avoid going to jail...

legalization is ideal because there should not be feel good laws that have marginal impact on society.. banning guns.. does not stop people from getting them... just like banning drugs does not stop people.. legalization at least allows a marginal level of control..

The same could be said for keeping it illegal then, we now have a marginal level of control on addiction and other issues from it lift that make it legal and see what happens. It's not all that it's cracked up to be Amsterdam is not when most people think it is unless your a burn out. It's actually a bit sad to see so many young people wasting their lives.

cause tobacco and alcohol are taxed. maybe it will help balance the budget a little.. i dunno

I would rather see it legalized and taxed than to continue to be illegal.

If you brew your own booze and grow your own tobacco, it's not taxed. And another revenue stream would only further the expansion of the gov. Starve them.

Legalize it, let the so called free market dictate its worth..and tax accordingly. Radically decrease the inundation of costs associated with the penal system with regards to marijuana.

The ONLY issue I have with pot being legalized, is the spike in stupidity before this would become an accepted adult recreation like alcohol. Bunch of kids and immature adults getting their fix on the once forbidden fruit..doing stupid shit and affecting innocent people in the process. Once it becomes as common and accepted as alcohol, we go back to our regularly scheduled program called life.

Maybe it's because I've been in the military for 19 years or some other reason like working in a very dangerous construction field but I am not impressed with the caliber of folks I've met who are smokers. There's enough lazy ass unproductive Americans doing jack shit right this second. What's next if it becomes legal? I suppose everyone with any disability will get government subsidized pot to aid all the boo boos that hurt while building an skyscraper full of excuses why they CAN'T become contributing members of society with a JOB.

Been in Europe for a tour or two and it's not pretty. Frankfurt was the first place I have seen anyone shooting up on a street corner while the police look away. This was not a middle of the night thing either. Dinner time on a very busy intersection corner with families, children right there. People spare change while they pick sores. A-Dam is no different. Dirty smelly piss filled streets lined with whores and other great examples of humanity. It's something to see while you are visiting but you don't want that in your backyard.

Maybe it's because I've been in the military for 19 years or some other reason like working in a very dangerous construction field but I am not impressed with the caliber of folks I've met who are smokers. There's enough lazy ass unproductive Americans doing jack shit right this second. What's next if it becomes legal? I suppose everyone with any disability will get government subsidized pot to aid all the boo boos that hurt while building an skyscraper full of excuses why they CAN'T become contributing members of society with a JOB.

+1

Amen!

I'm not entirely impressed with the quality of people I've met who are heavy drinkers....

But most of them work their ass off 10hrs a day.

It all depends on what group of people you talk to.

You have your liberal yuppies on one side... Sit around and smoke pot and complain about the system....

Then you have your everyday people. 9-5 jobs, support a family, and live a normal life. They just chose to smoke a joint every now and then when they need to relax.

Then there are people that need it... Medicinal uses only.

I say legalize it and reap the benefits. The overwhelming reason for it being illegal and not in the same category as alcohol and tobacco in the first place was ignorance and racism.

Listening to people argue to keep weed illegal is like listening to people that want to ban guns. Neither one knows what the hell they are talking about. Ignorance on a subject followed up with emotion leads to bans.

Blows my mind how someone can cite talking to and/or knowing a few people that smoke as the reason they want to keep it illegal. Next time you don't understand why someone would want to ban guns because they read a couple news stories of people getting killed with guns look in a mirror.

Listening to people argue to keep weed illegal is like listening to people that want to ban guns. Neither one knows what the hell they are talking about. Ignorance on a subject followed up with emotion leads to bans.

Blows my mind how someone can cite talking to and/or knowing a few people that smoke as the reason they want to keep it illegal. Next time you don't understand why someone would want to ban guns because they read a couple news stories of people getting killed with guns look in a mirror.

+1

People are so closed minded and continue to overlook the bigger picture. There may be some people that smoke pot and are lazy and not really good for much.... But the fact is they would probably be the same way without pot.

Close minded Im not, again I think it should be decriminelizedbut not legalized, The 2a protects my right to bare arms there is no amendment for the use of drugs that I know of. They do studies and pull statistics on everything, I have yet to see them present them on this as of yet. Im just not fully sold on the idea and Im 35 years old worked in a tatoo parlor for 6 years at one time and rode with the Breed MC in my younger year. I know a thing or 2 outside of the news stories I read. Dont think youself or your opinions to be above anyone else because they dont feel exactly like you do.

Been in Europe for a tour or two and it's not pretty. Frankfurt was the first place I have seen anyone shooting up on a street corner while the police look away. This was not a middle of the night thing either. Dinner time on a very busy intersection corner with families, children right there. People spare change while they pick sores. A-Dam is no different. Dirty smelly piss filled streets lined with whores and other great examples of humanity. It's something to see while you are visiting but you don't want that in your backyard.

I'm quite certain just as many morons, lazy f*cks, and deadbeats exist in the non-pot smoking population as the pot smoking population. Some of them may have even served in the military. Generalizations add little to arguments, especially ones that are completely ignorant and way off base. You probably deal with a ton of people on a daily basis that smoke pot and you would never suspect it. My guess is those where you think it is obvious were probably stupid to begin with, the pot didn't do it to them.

Do you honestly think legalizing pot in the U.S. will turn our streets into Amsterdam or Frankfurt? If anything it will have the opposite effect as it will stem a lot of the suburb to urban trafficking **edit - meant urban to suburban trafficking**. Also, you don't "shoot up" with pot. So I'm not sure what that even has to do with legalizing marijuana.

The reason marijuana is illegal had nothing to do with smoking pot, it's effect on the brain, the lungs, etc. Heck, we now know it can actively KILL CANCER CELLS. It is illegal for reasons related to trade. There was a massive anti-weed propaganda campaign that was paid for by captains of certain industries because they wanted marijuana and hemp outlawed so it wouldn't compete with their products.

Holy sh*t, a massive propaganda campaign that goes against the facts to deprive citizens of something that should be a right... that sounds familiar!

+1

People are so closed minded and continue to overlook the bigger picture. There may be some people that smoke pot and are lazy and not really good for much.... But the fact is they would probably be the same way without pot.

I find it amusing that there is a cross section of the anti legalization crowd that see nothing in downing a case of cheap beer,fifth of Jim Beam or some God awful alcoholic concoction on a regular basis but have the unmitigated gall to look down the nose at pot smokers as hippies,drug addicts and laze abouts. Then spout unproven and silted studies on grass being a "Gateway " drug just proving that there is a underlying ignorance and closed mindedness that is very similar to what we as gun enthusiast face today.