Black Ops

NJ NICS

I was a gun range last week in ocean county.. I don't want to say which one but they were getting upset with people calling and asking if their NICS were done. Most of the workers are retired LE's. One said tell them from now on at least a week. I was looking at guns and every time someone called they would always talk smack about that person. Very unprofessional. I will never buy from them again. The price gauging and the attitude.

I was a gun range last week in ocean county.. I don't want to say which one but they were getting upset with people calling and asking if their NICS were done. Most of the workers are retired LE's. One said tell them from now on at least a week. I was looking at guns and every time someone called they would always talk smack about that person. Very unprofessional. I will never buy from them again. The price gauging and the attitude.

Gussing that range is either in Brick or Lakewood....

I had almost a week wait around Christmass....Then got spoiled with two 2-day waits in jan/feb (1 pistol 1 shotgun)...Wonder why it has spiked up again? Maybe the Sequester ;-).

Just called my FFL to comeserate...I am at 7 days by COB today...He says he is now quoting 7-10 days...He said he got 1 back in 1 day and called NICS to understand their algorithm...The person just said "this is the one I got; this is the one I did"...So the FFL is fustrated that he can't even give a prediction with consistency...He said NICS-NJ now added nation wide mental health checks (I already thought they were doing these?)....

It use to take 10 mins now it takes 10 days? So what is 10 days in munits? Throw out Sunday about 9 days x what are they open 10 hours a day? X 60 mins per hour = 5400 mins....5400/10 = 540% increase...

So have gun sales gone up 540% in NJ? (Math might be a little off but you get the idea...)....Guess the FFLs here would have to comment, but something is vary bizzar about all this.

The NICS Volume is still heavy and may very well be due to the current bills in legislation.

These are the NJ NICS check numbers from the last five yrs and we are pretty heavy the last 2 months

2009 - 55533

2010 - 50522

2011 - 60256

2012 - 85851

2013 - 20082 (This is just for the months of Jan. & Feb)

They are technically on track of doing double the checks per month compared to a few yrs ago but if demand rises they should compensate and add more employees

I put in for a transfer last Monday and they called me today to pick it up.

Congrats. Thanks for the update. I'm at day 8, not including Sundays. NICS was submitted on Mar 1 and still waiting. I'm hoping for tomorrow.

Im Just gunna order a gun online.. have it shipped to a ffl in pa. I got money that I will recieve the gun before the one I have sitting at brick armory being held hostage. Its bs. And ill save 15 bucks on a nics check since from what I understand nics/pics is free in pa. Sry to cost the brick and mortar stores money... but im tired of this bs

That sounds like an excellent idea. Can we purchase a handgun in PA, have them do the NICS and transport to NJ legally?

I was simply stating the obvious I thought. Brick and mortar guys are raking in cash right now. So you think those bare shelves, both pistols and ammo, are selling at a loss? We must differ in opinion then. When I will be done shopping, I am 30% over budget. Who is profiting from my loss?

I think you may be mistaken. Selling out of guns and ammo is only good for their shop if they can get more. Even if they double their prices for a month, it won't make them rich. Unless stuff starts coming in on a more regular basis, all the shops could be in trouble. The Cabelas, Dicks and Basspros of this world will be fine, as they make money on other stuff, but places like gunshops (the only places in NJ that sell REAL guns) could be in serious trouble. I saw Mastodon's post on Facebook yesterday. They got *9* boxes of 9mm ammo. Won't make them breathe a sigh of relief, I think.

I do see your point here. If there is no inventory at all, there is nothing to sell and no revenue, thus no profit.

But I would venture to guess (this is a WILD GUESS, no factual basis at all) that most gun stores have *record* sales in 2012. Profit margins (per dollar inventory) *must* be at a record high in 2012, because most of that inventory was purchased before Dec 14 at semi-reasonable wholesale rates......

That's assuming that the store had an inventory to sell off and had the resources to buy extra if they saw this coming. Perhaps a little store made a nice bump in sales but now there may be little money coming in.

That's assuming that the store had an inventory to sell off and had the resources to buy extra if they saw this coming. Perhaps a little store made a nice bump in sales but now there may be little money coming in.

I agree. Forget that it's a gun store for a second, too much inventory is bad 99% of the time, because it's something you have to buy and pay for and then sit on, hoping that people want what you have. Meanwhile, if the stuff is not moving, you can't buy new stuff. Bad situation.

No one could see Colorado and CT shootings coming and stock up accordingly. Those ARs sat on the shelves forever before all this, at least in NJ where you have nowhere to shoot them.

TR20, Please read this:

http://www.atf.gov/f...ed-persons.html

NO, an unlicensed (ATF FFL license) person can only buy a firearm "within their own state" (except a rifle and shotgun). They must do this transfer across state lines to a licensed FFL dealer in their "own state".

The law reads like that, everything is prohibited, except rifles and shotguns. This is important because ANYTHING that qualifies as a firearm would be prohibited to be bought across state lines. The law does not state that "only handguns must be transferred via FFL", but it prohibits everything and then allows exemptions for only rifles and shotguns..... flare guns, explosives, high cap magazines that fit into handguns, and other random "weapons".... you would have to look up the definition of firearms and get into more detail to figure out exactly what is legal.

EMT,

Thanks very much! I was not planning to go this route and am glad you cited the specifics for me.

Got my call 2 hours ago and picked up my Wilson Combat Tactical Elite...

This has been a long wait....7 months to be built...and a full 7 (or 8 depending how ya count them) days at Nics Tuesday to Tuesday...This seems to be the standard as others have posted...

I wasn't going to let it stay there till morning...The worst part of the wait was the week at the FFL.

No more sleepless nights ;-)...

My thoughts go out to those still waiting and understand you are not alone - all GunNutz go through this...(Over the last 2 days my FFL - a real GunNut himself gave me free therapy for the difficult interval). - Which is over for now (next month will not be as bad though..The Wilson I just picked up is a very special pistol and induced extra angst)...Halleluiah!

Seems to be 5 business days on average.

There are exceptions. Business day 9 and still waiting. :(

FFL told me he just got some back today that were a submitted a few days before me.

Made purshase Tuesday morning 3/5. Will advise. But from what i've read here looks like next week some time. This sucks. And I'm getting fed up with two trips to purchase. If it does not get better just going to start makeing all long gun purchases in DE or PA.

Message on my voice mail when I got home that it came back approved today. Lets see that's 6 business days, 8 calendar days.

Somebody dropped the ball on yours. You better follow it up.

I followed up on mine and finally went down to the shop. I am now at 20 days and they shop showed me the fax receipts from 2/23, 3/8 and 3/11. They even had a few other people that and sent in NICS checks before mine and they haven't heard either.

I even called NICS directly, but they said they would only talk to the dealer that sold me the gun.

At this point, I'm not sure if its the shop or the State, but I'm really getting annoyed.

MSax

I followed up on mine and finally went down to the shop. I am now at 20 days and they shop showed me the fax receipts from 2/23, 3/8 and 3/11. They even had a few other people that and sent in NICS checks before mine and they haven't heard either.

I even called NICS directly, but they said they would only talk to the dealer that sold me the gun.

At this point, I'm not sure if its the shop or the State, but I'm really getting annoyed.

MSax

That is Horrible...I would ask the FFL to call them and get an explination...Maybe the other FFLs on this board can give you some advise.

MSax

That really sucks. I'd say it's gotta be the state if your FFL has 3 separate receipts. You're just getting really unlucky :(

I'd say it's gotta be the state if your FFL has 3 separate receipts.

^^^^^ This.

I didn't want to post anything to whine. I'm pretty fed up with my NICS paperwork being lost again. This happened to me before in January. I waited 3 weeks before the FFL would re-fax the paperwork as they did not know what the process was if the fax was lost. When it was resubmitted, it was approved in 2 days.

I am picking up something at a different FFL. I'm at day 13 (11 business days) and nothing again! FFL is going to re-fax today. He had it happen to someone else. He said he was given a different line to fax it to in the instance the first fax is lost. I'm not sure what the difference is for this alternate fax line. I think it is only for re-submitting requests but I don't think the approval will come any faster. I guess I'm reset to another 7-10 business days now. My permits expire at the end of the month. 90 days and I could only use 1 permit.

Fax is one of the most unreliable methods of communication. There are a ton of things that can go wrong. Paper jams, busted fax, no toner, out of memory in the fax, data lost in transmission, etc. There should be a reliable method to send the data to them. I really wish the state would fix the system.

Sorry, I'm done ranting and will try to be patient for the next 10 days.