Black Ops

NJ NICS

I know that NJ has bills pending that other states do not and that alone may be driving the increased volume, but is it enough for the situation to be getting WORSE when its seems to have calmed down a bit out there? Maybe this is something NJ2AS can investigate to determine if there are deliberate delays that are being directed by those who may oppose the whole idea of ownership??? Just a thought....

I know that NJ has bills pending that other states do not and that alone may be driving the increased volume, but is it enough for the situation to be getting WORSE when its seems to have calmed down a bit out there? Maybe this is something NJ2AS can investigate to determine if there are deliberate delays that are being directed by those who may oppose the whole idea of ownership??? Just a thought....

I was thinking same thing... hope I am just paranoid and the delays are legitimate. Who knows...

The NICS Volume is still heavy and may very well be due to the current bills in legislation.

These are the NJ NICS check numbers from the last five yrs and we are pretty heavy the last 2 months

2009 - 55533

2010 - 50522

2011 - 60256

2012 - 85851

2013 - 20082 (This is just for the months of Jan. & Feb)

Doesn't the $15 collected for each NICS check go toward the administrative costs for running it, i.e. salaries, equipment, etc. So if the NICS checks have doubled, should they not double the employee base or pay employees to work overtime? (besides the one Sunday that I know of) There is another change coming regarding this that will make it more streamlined.

Doesn't the $15 collected for each NICS check go toward the administrative costs for running it, i.e. salaries, equipment, etc. So if the NICS checks have doubled, should they not double the employee base or pay employees to work overtime? (besides the one Sunday that I know of) There is another change coming regarding this that will make it more streamlined.

You are thinking like a wise, sensible business owner who cares about their customers. Our gov could really give 2 craps for us. They never work efficiently, and rarely do the right thing, and in most cases could care less about our rights, unless it benefits their careers or popularity. Besides once we pay the man, they have the money. What difference does it make to them if we get what we pay for in a day or a month. To me, this is all inexcusable. Today is day 77 waiting for my FID and P2P. This is getting ridiculous. So much for constitutional rights.

Made purshase Tuesday morning 3/5. Will advise. But from what i've read here looks like next week some time. This sucks. And I'm getting fed up with two trips to purchase. If it does not get better just going to start makeing all long gun purchases in DE or PA.

This is only partially correct information. The *Essex County* mental health records were flooded by Sandy, in a Newark basement storage area. These records are stored manually, and the indexing process is done via paper. These are NOT the state mental health records, these are county records.

Here is the thread on that, the latest of 4 or 5 versions:

njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/45601-taking-action-in-essex-county/page__fromsearch__1

I already corrected my self in that thread. You should read it.

All those advocating buying.g in pa....

Makes perfect sense to screw your in state brick

And mortar dealers due to state ineptitude..backlog

Keep that up and you might have to do that permanently

We should be pleased at the delay.....look at the volume of sales....

I wonder how many are all NEW SHOOTERS!

Well Nick, you and the rest of the FFL's in this state talk to NICS on a daily basis. Us common unwashed folk have no access to them. I would suggest that you talk to whomever you can and tell them to find a way to fix this situation. Because in the end, it will cost you business.

Gotta tell you, the FFLs/dealers I have dealt with in this great state of ours are nothing short of fantastic in terms of working thru the red-tape, regulations and NICS stuff. (Special shout out to Mastodon Ammo & Camo and Lou's Firearms. +10 for both) The de facto waiting period - my last was a calendar week - was annoying as heck, but that is NOT the dealer's fault. I will continue to work with local instate shops because, when the hysteria dies down, I want them to be around. And asking them to push hard against the State is not very fair. Especially for smaller businesses, you do NOT want to raise the ire of your regulators. That is a one way ticket to the 9th Circle of Hell. Just my opinion. Everyone will do what they want to do.

Nobody talks to nics anymore. The nice young lady on the other end of the phone is now a fax machine that goes something like:

'Tweep Tweep Burp Blap!'... ;)

Well Nick, you and the rest of the FFL's in this state talk to NICS on a daily basis. Us common unwashed folk have no access to them. I would suggest that you talk to whomever you can and tell them to find a way to fix this situation. Because in the end, it will cost you business.

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple...

Im Just gunna order a gun online.. have it shipped to a ffl in pa. I got money that I will recieve the gun before the one I have sitting at brick armory being held hostage. Its bs. And ill save 15 bucks on a nics check since from what I understand nics/pics is free in pa. Sry to cost the brick and mortar stores money... but im tired of this bs

4 days and counting - and looks like a few more based on posts...

I am not happy that they do this to us; I am even more unhappy that I have an emotional disposition of a teenager when it comes to waiting for my gun toys...

As each day passes I am closer; even as each day gets longer and longer as I get closer...

Seconds like minuits; minuits like hours; hours like days :-).

I'd get pissed but not sure who to get pissed at: NJ.gov? Nickcj (he is part of the establishment right ;-))? Myself for being so anxious about my new "Sweatheart"?

WTF can you do anyway.

Feels good to comeserate though :-).

Im Just gunna order a gun online.. have it shipped to a ffl in pa. I got money that I will recieve the gun before the one I have sitting at brick armory being held hostage. Its bs. And ill save 15 bucks on a nics check since from what I understand nics/pics is free in pa. Sry to cost the brick and mortar stores money... but im tired of this bs

Maybe the only thing we have in common with PA. They charge you as well

$3 Firearm surcharge fee

$2 Instant background check

Find me a Smith 627, and I won't have to call across the country to get one. I've already submitted NJGF FP request. I called over 100 stores nationwide already.

Then I don't have to go to Oaks tonight.

I am permanently buying online or from PA now. I used to be a proud supporter of local stores, cash sales, and local discounts for LEO/EMS that volunteer and serve the community. I drove to 8 large NJ gun stores in Jan / Feb time, looking for 3 different M&P style pistols and one S&W handgun. Nothing, nothing, nothing but headaches, complaints, and bitching from pissed off gun salespeople.

YOU GUYS ARE RAKING IN CASH, while long time shooters are paying heavily for ammo and new guns.

They are not raking in the cash if they can not re-supply their gun cases. This could be a disaster for smaller shops that cant draw customers because they have nothing left to sell. It's not that people don't want your business or lack desire to get what you want...it just simply is not available. Bigger stores have people constantly refreshing their computer screens every 10-15 minutes so they can buy everything and anything that suddenly becomes available from gun distributors. The industry has never seen anything like this before. Salespeople are just as frustrated as you are. They are there to help you get what you want, and it is frustrating for them as well. Imagaine all the people who take it out on them on a daily basis. Just another side of the story that you should be aware of.

Exactly. As much as I want to support my LGS, it's far from my home, and I don't want to make two trips out there to satisfy some venal politician. I'd rather drive a bit longer and do it in one trip.

This is real cause for worry for the LGS's, especially when the supply situation corrects, and people can choose where to buy. I will write to NJSP and attorney general

I'm hoping they fix NICS soon. I like the ability to go to my LGS and if an item is local and reasonably priced, I will support the LGS.

Back to the original issue though.

How long is NICS check nowadays? It seems to be getting longer. My NICS check was submitted on the 1st. I have to say that I was anxious and counting down the 6-7 days at first but I don't feel it anymore.

I've gotten 3 permits on Jan 1. First NICS check took about 4 weeks because the system was so screwed up. The fax the LGS sent went into limbo. The LGS did not know how to deal with the issue. They were charged by Cox and had no idea how to get their money back or even how to fax it again without getting me in trouble as it would be 2 handgun checks in less than 30 days. Well, they resubmitted after I confirmed with state police on what the procedures were. LGS was unsuccessful in reaching state police.

After waiting 30 days from last pickup, I'm waiting again. I'm hoping this does not take 4 weeks again. My third permit will not be used within 90 day window. I'm hoping the second permit can be used within 90 days. I'll have to see if my local PD will offer an extension. I'm not 100% certain they will as no one has ever posted this up before so I'll report back after I go thru the process.

Did anyone get their NICS check approved recently? I'm just curious as to how long the processing is now.

My longest wait was seven days. On that day, they called with the seventh, sixth, and fifth day's checks. Seven has been the longest wait that I have EVER had, and that was last week.

My longest wait was seven days. On that day, they called with the seventh, sixth, and fifth day's checks. Seven has been the longest wait that I have EVER had, and that was last week.

Cheeze, I started mine last tuesday at 10:00 am. So I an counting that day...Today is sunday so tomorrow is Monday the 7th day by close of business....I hope I get the call --- I waited for this gun 8 months - now these last few days are so "painfull" i think I need to talk to a Shrink :-)....

Have you ever had an instance where the fax got lost and had to start all over again? (I think there was one guy who posted he was on his 14th day).

Yes. They have "lost" several, but I think it was more Champion Communications fault in their forwarding issues. FYI, a check on a Tuesday and a call back on a Tuesday is 7 days.

Sent from my DROID4