PEACEFROG

Need suggestions for eye and ear protection

I only use ear plugs when shooting long guns as the ear muffs hit the stock. when i shoot pistols i have a cheeper pair of electronic ear muffs. Caldwell makes them and they are fine for me. As for eye protection i only wear is if the range requires it and then i use clear lenses.

For ear protection anything you want that is rated NRR25 or higher (higher is better NRR 32-33 preferred- ear plugs).

For eye protection anything Z87 rated that wraps around the sides of the eye socket.

Are some products better than others - yes. Which ones? - only you can decide that.

Recommendations -

Uncle Sams Retail Outlet under clothiing, optics, Revision SawFly MC Eyeware (New) $40 delivered to your door. Only 32 left.

Amazon - Howard Leight, take your pick.

I will tell you when shooting on the firing line with other shooters, esp. with long guns, or indoors ear muffs WITH ear plugs are some time necessary for sanity.

Shooting with ear plugs and muffs only increases NRR by 3-4 points over muffs alone.

I only use ear plugs when shooting long guns as the ear muffs hit the stock. when i shoot pistols i have a cheeper pair of electronic ear muffs. Caldwell makes them and they are fine for me. As for eye protection i only wear is if the range requires it and then i use clear lenses.

You should always wear eyes, no matter what is required. I wear 4 dollar safety glasses i picked up my first time shooting, didnt think they would last this long but they are just fine. There is no difference between clear 4 dollar glasses and 100 dollar glasses of the same grade.

Don't shoot steel, uspsa, or hell any indoor ranges. Its a matter of when, not if, you get hit in the face.

Any indoor range that i have been to I have to wear eyes as part of their rules and i am guessing eyes are mandatory in uspsa. And I am completely aware that i could be hit in the face or eyes with splatter or a ricochet and that is a chance i am personally willing to take.

muffs and safety glasses..

Uvex S3300X for eyewear (only $11 at Amazon, meets military ballistic specs)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RMH1K8/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

3M Peltor H10A Optime muffs (30db reduction, $22 at Amazon)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009LI4K/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

can you spend a lot more? yup.. will they protect you better? debatable.. sure, there are electronic muffs that clear out more noise, but at about 5x the cost.. if you want even more protection, do what Jcdd does, wear both muffs and plugs...

fishnut - are you crazy man? lol

muffs and safety glasses..

Uvex S3300X for eyewear (only $11 at Amazon, meets military ballistic specs)

http://www.amazon.co...1?ie=UTF8&psc=1

3M Peltor H10A Optime muffs (30db reduction, $22 at Amazon)

http://www.amazon.co...2?ie=UTF8&psc=1

can you spend a lot more? yup.. will they protect you better? debatable.. sure, there are electronic muffs that clear out more noise, but at about 5x the cost.. if you want even more protection, do what Jcdd does, wear both muffs and plugs...

fishnut - are you crazy man? lol

Hey I am not the only one many guys here do not wear eye protection all the time while shooting. come to one of the clinton shotgun shoots there are a few guys who wear eyes but the majority do not wear anything.

Your need for protection is somewhat guided by your stance. A traditional "Weaver" stance requires eye and ear protection. A typical "liberal" stance does not require any protection at all, but accuracy can be adversely affected:

head_up_ass-242x300.jpg

Lol

I wear both plugs and muffs at indoor ranges. First time I shot indoors, others were shooting some very large calibers. I only had muffs - screwed up my hearing for days. Scared the heck out of me. Now I always double up.

this, if you ever shoot at the Bullet Hole. Higher calibers in that tiny space = alot of friggin noise. didnt like the vibe there at all.

I absolutely love my Howard Leight R-01526 if you decide on muffs. My Radians Clay Pro Eye Protection Glasses (Clear) fit very comfortably under the muffs (a key factor in my purchase decision)