ironmine

Newbie Confused: Front Folding Sight/Mounting For Adams Upper; Picatinny Rail

I'm one of those people getting their first AR in this crazy envirorement, and am learing along the way. The below Adams Arms Upper Assy will be here tomorrow. I wish to buy a set of back-up folding sights, front and rear, such as Magpul MBUS GEN II.

Magpul states not to mount the front sight on a gas block because of heat. My gas block has a rail on it, looking at the photo, right? Can I use the Magpul?

How are things mounted to the Picatinny Rail in general? Never had one in my hands. "Dove Tail" shaped mounting? Many websites seemingly differentiate between "front sight" and "gas block sight," but they seem to mount the same?

Can you suggest some sets of back-up folding sights for my gun? Not the most expensive, but good quality.

Thanks alot. This completed AR is family gift .... and I need to get it together quickly.

16%20Mid%20Tac%20Elite%20L.jpg

Gas block sights are usually taller, since the top of a railed gas block falls below the level of the receiver rail. A rail that extends the length of the upper, in the same plane, would use the regular sights. MBUS sights are made of plastic and will melt if mounted directly to the gas block. Might not be the case with yours since it is a piston gun and there may be more volume in the chamber where the piston is located.

I am not enthralled with plastic sights. Midwest Industries makes decent all metal BUIS. And if you want the buy once, cry once sights, go with Troy.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I had a set of the magpul sites and I didn't like them. If you want to stay with polymer sites check these out.

http://rrages.com/sight/arms71lf-r/index.htm

If you want to go with something nicer take a look at Troy or Diamondhead sights. I just went through this as I needed a set of iron sites and I went with the Troy, they aren't cheap but you get what you pay for. I spoke with George at RRages and he said the arms polymer sites are much better than the troy knock off sites. He didn't think the knock offs would last all that long. So as someone said above "Buy once cry once" !!! I bought the ones in the link below.

http://rrages.com/sight/realtroy/realtroys/index.htm

another vote for Troy... I am using the Di-Optic on both my my AR15s... outstanding durable quality... sights are your means of hitting the target... I would not ever skimp on fire control group (trigger) or optics / sights... those are two points of the gun that I would not hesitate to spend "too much" money...

LOVE Magpul stuff.. but would never run plastic sights..

I bit the bullet and ordered a set of folding Troy Battle Sights, as they will be the only sights on the gun for some time until I buy an optic for it. About twice the price of a set of the Magpul's .... hope it was worth it. I was going to take the quality scope off my Remington 700 and use that, but realized that I want to stay sharp with the .308 and keep shooting it during my trips to my range.

This is a great website .... I have lots to read.

Thanks

Jim

Since we are talking about the durabilty of sights and the Magpul sights has been written off as "plastic" and weak.

Here is a link and follow up to a drop test of folding BUIS.

Just some food for thought.

back-up-iron-sight-drop-test

Follow up on Vuurwapenblog

buisoptic-drop-test/

I have a MBUS. Anyone have a Troy they want to lend me to repeat the test? I promise I will send it back after the test. :D

I used to feel the same way about the MBUS but have have since changed my mind.

i run a front MBUS, good to know it's durable.. it's down 100% of the time anyway, folded, only upright when i would absolutely need it. Paired with an RRA EOtech co-witness(replacing soon for something lighter). Most rear sites are all standard height, but the front will vary if its a gas block or rail mount version(obviously to make up the distance to get the correct bore to sight height distance. Your sight should be around 1.4" from the receiver/fore-grip rail. and 2.5" from bore center to sight tip, which is standard to the A2.

While plastic will probably break at a higher force applied, it has a good amount of give before, it will usually break before disfiguring. Metal on the other hand will bend before it breaks. The MBUS also doesn't lock open, which allows a drop to fold the sight if needed, and it pops back open. So it's kind of a compromise, mbus wont bend(much), but it will break before a metal one does.

I got the Adams arms upper as well but I didn't use magpul sights. But my friend has the same exact one you have maybe a little different but he has magpul sights and he has not melted it yet, unless you really lay down some rapid fire for a long time with no breaks... I don't see any problem at all considering you won't be doing any rapid firing with it right?