BOOMSTICK

5 YEAR FPID RENEWAL QUESTION

IF, this gets all the way through...

What do you think the process would be like?

Would it be treated like car registration as something that could be done through the mail?

I understand that if the "pic required on the card" part passes, this would not be the case.

Would it be as tedious as when you first apply for one? Fingerprints? The whole nine yards?

Just curious if anyone else is wondering this.

Remember that the single purpose of all these regulations is to create as much burden, obstacles and harassment of legal gun ownership as possible so people just give up. Expect the renewal process to be as painful as possible by design.

Not to mention extra $$ for the state.

Problem in NJ: High crime rate, gang activity, homicides

NJ Solution: Train officers to fight crime, pass stupid laws, have said officers spend time behind a desk filling out paperwork.

Yes, that will keep the citizens safe.

Just to clarify... I am not a "defeatist". Nor have I "given up".

Sure, it's a "what if" but since when does one have to be made to feel wrong for starting a thread on such a "What if" thought? I thought it would make a good discussion.

I'm sure I wasnt the only one that has these things going through thier heads.

I went to my local PD today to get the paperwork to have my FID card reissued to me since I can't find mine. She asked me how long I've had it, I told her less than three years. She told me that every five years I need to have my fingerprints done again and get a new FID card. I didn't feel like arguing. Is there legislation pending in Trenton regarding this issue? Do our fingerprints somehow change? Who is going to try and call/mail people when their five years are up? My father has had his FID card for 25 years or so. Barely legible, but still valid.

I went to my local PD today to get the paperwork to have my FID card reissued to me since I can't find mine. She asked me how long I've had it, I told her less than three years. She told me that every five years I need to have my fingerprints done again and get a new FID card. I didn't feel like arguing. Is there legislation pending in Trenton regarding this issue? Do our fingerprints somehow change? Who is going to try and call/mail people when their five years are up? My father has had his FID card for 25 years or so. Barely legible, but still valid.

same as my town. after 5 years you have to get printed again (only for pistol permits) Just prints get Updated,nothings else

Pending legislation shouldn't affect current validity at all. Either she is ignorant of the procedure or her department is illegally requiring renewal.

I'd contact the NJ2AS and ask them about this as part of Operation Establish Compliance. FPID cards are supposed to be valid for life or until you move or become ineligible due to becoming a prohibited person.

Pending legislation shouldn't affect current validity at all. Either she is ignorant of the procedure or her department is illegally requiring renewal.

I'd contact the NJ2AS and ask them about this as part of Operation Establish Compliance. FPID cards are supposed to be valid for life or until you move or become ineligible due to becoming a prohibited person.

Interesting, someone at my hunting club had the exact same experience when he went to get a replacement FID.

When it comes to the fingerprinting policy, it is left up to the discretion of the local PD's whether or not they have you re-printed. Nothing illegal about it. Most common excuse for reprinting I've heard around here is 1) FPID address change when a different PD did the initial FPID and 2) every 5 years when applying for FPID/P2P's.

When it comes to the fingerprinting policy, it is left up to the discretion of the local PD's whether or not they have you re-printed. Nothing illegal about it. Most common excuse for reprinting I've heard around here is 1) FPID address change when a different PD did the initial FPID and 2) every 5 years when applying for FPID/P2P's.

I guess if you get a hand transplant you'd better save a doctor's note.

Either they overhaul the entire system in order to modernize and streamline it (which would cost $$$, I doubt the state has the money for this, so the cost would probably be passed onto us). Or they stick with the old system, which would then likely be completely overwhelmed by renewals on top of initial apps. Either way we are up shit's creek.

This bill would be the last straw for me, if it passes I'm moving over the border and dealing with an hour long commute to work in NJ everyday.