RubberBullets

Moving a gun safe (looking for rental equip)

So my new liberty should be coming in next week or so.. and im looking for a place that rents powered stair climbing hand trucks. The safe weighs about 700 lbs. From reading, removing liberty safe doors is possible to get off, but a MAJOR pain to get back on.

I have called Johnson Rents in Bayville, United Rental, Fox Equipment and have come up dry. Does anyone have an inside track on where to get one of these bad boys to rent?

If not, any idea on a price range how much a moving company would charge to go up a flight of steps for a 700lb safe? (ballpark) Thanks gents.

I rented one here:

http://www.rentcenterusa.com

It wasn't very expensive and I think it can handle 1500lbs. Comes with battery charger and manual lever for lifting edge of safe. I never actually used it, as it scared the bejesus out of me. Just the thought of doing it down my basement stairs that is.

yea im trying to figure the same out. i have a 500 lbs safe that needs to go up 2 steps then down a flight. Anyone know how to figure out if the stairs will hold the safe plus a few people? im thinking of cutting some 2x4 and just using the to support the stairs since it is open under them. They are attached to walls on both sides though. i know that makes it stronger. Anyone move something this big down the steps? im confident in going up the 2 stairs with just a regular hand truck. going down is what worries me.

I don't think you can take the door off most Liberty safes but I may be wrong. I couldn't on mine. I didn't support my stairs underneath but it's not a bad idea. I ended up cutting a 4x8 sheet of plywood in half length wise and screwing them to the stairs to firm a ramp. I then screwed 2x4 pieces at a couple points to catch it. I secured it with long tow ropes and had two muscle heads hold it up top with the ropes wrapped around a 4x4 secured across the doorway. At the bottom i just tilted it up on a furniture dolly to roll it around easily. It worked and nobody was killed. My safe is about 700lbs.

yea i planned on removing the door. i didnt think it was that much, figure the door was around 120 on a 500lbs safe. but thats a complete guess. if it brings it into the 300-350 range i dont think ill have a problem with 1 more person going down the steps, i moved it off the truck and into the garage with 1 person no handtruck so i think with a handtruck we will be fine if its that much of a difference without the door.

jerseyjoe, i planned on using tow straps also, but more as a security, had 2 people on top have the straps wrapped around the safeand lower them slowly as 2 move it down.

I don't think you can take the door off most Liberty safes but I may be wrong. I couldn't on mine. I didn't support my stairs underneath but it's not a bad idea. I ended up cutting a 4x8 sheet of plywood in half length wise and screwing them to the stairs to firm a ramp. I then screwed 2x4 pieces at a couple points to catch it. I secured it with long tow ropes and had two muscle heads hold it up top with the ropes wrapped around a 4x4 secured across the doorway. At the bottom i just tilted it up on a furniture dolly to roll it around easily. It worked and nobody was killed. My safe is about 700lbs.

I read on another forum a guy was able to get his door off but had to shave the hinge to get it back on (at the recommendation of liberty service) They are not meant to come off. I settled for the smaller safe of the two i was looking at so ill be damn sure its going upstairs inside and not in the garage like the behemoth was going to go. Thank you for the input so far.. Stairs are interior, carpeted so screwing things into the stairs will be a no go :)

Use some 2x4's as a ramp on the stairs it will distribute the weight. Lay it down and use a come-a-long hooked to a 2x4 anchored out the window. Safes are easy. Try moving a Bridgeport and a Southbend up a 50' dirt and gravel driveway on 1-1/4" bars when the forklift dies.

My buddy and I moved a 950lb safe up stairs. I took the door off and used a heavy duty hand truck. Strapped the safe to the cart and one of us pushed and one pulled. We laid it back pretty far and it wasn't bad to hold. It went much better than I thought it would. If you try it and don't feel safe after the first step or two I would bail on the idea.

I have a large appliance/refrigerator handtruck that I used to move a 400lb safe. With a few guys you should be alright using something like this (as long as your stairs can hold the weight)

It is identical to this, if you interested in borrowing it let me know: transparent.gif

H_1387_L.jpg

yea i planned on removing the door. i didnt think it was that much, figure the door was around 120 on a 500lbs safe. but thats a complete guess. if it brings it into the 300-350 range i dont think ill have a problem with 1 more person going down the steps, i moved it off the truck and into the garage with 1 person no handtruck so i think with a handtruck we will be fine if its that much of a difference without the door.

jerseyjoe, i planned on using tow straps also, but more as a security, had 2 people on top have the straps wrapped around the safeand lower them slowly as 2 move it down.

The door is a lot more than you think its usually close to 1/2 the weight of the safe.

I would lay a board down and lay the safe on something that can roll like a steel bar wrapped in tape. Maybe you don't need the bar and just try to slide it. Have one or two at top with a strap and two below. I helped someone going down like this and it was easy. I realize going up will be harder. I would worry about the cart wheels cracking the wood step or worse.

I would lay a board down and lay the safe on something that can roll like a steel bar wrapped in tape. Maybe you don't need the bar and just try to slide it. Have one or two at top with a strap and two below. I helped someone going down like this and it was easy. I realize going up will be harder. I would worry about the cart wheels cracking the wood step or worse.

wont work for me, theres a wall across from the door. im going to take the door off and see. however for anyone moving on flat service an easy way is to roll on pipes, just get a few pieces of black pipe tilt the safe and roll it, works like a charm.

I may have a quad winch for 1500lbs.. gotta look for it. If we have an anchor point we can winch it up the stairs. Text me ill look when I get home

Id think the window option would be great but i think itd crush the vinyl window frame... Could build something to disperse the load along the siding... This could be fun lol