maintenanceguy

NRA membership and flood of junk email

I've had the same email address for 15+ years and have never had very much junk mail.

I re-joined the NRA a couple of months ago after a several year hiatus and all the sudden I'm flooded with junk mail. Dozens of emails every day wanting to sell me weight loss pills, auto insurance scams, checking on the condition of my vaginal mesh, introductions to Russian women, etc.

The last time I joined the NRA, I was flooded with junk mail in my postal mail and with sales phone calls. I suspected that the NRA had sold my address and phone number back then and that was a big part of why I did not re-join. This time I used a fake phone number when I joined but I suspect they sold my email address.

Has anyone else experienced this or am I just too much of a conspiracy theorist?

Hmmm I haven't received the type of spam you referenced, but I have been getting hit with an abundance of NRA Special Offers and NRA Member Benefit emails. They're trying to make money through affiliate offers. Rather annoying if you ask me but I understand why they're doing it. I'm sure you can unsubscribe from certain lists, look for the unsubscribe link at the base of the email, you should be able to manage what types of emails they send you.

Create and use multiple e-mail addresses. One for regular, one for sporting arms related, one for dead end emails. Depending on what email program you use you can tie them together or keep them separate. My email supplier allows up to seven or more emails tied to one account. Makes who spamming you easier to track. Keeps personal email trash free. If I only could do this to the snail mail

Haven't noticed more junk mail, but I just got a packet from the NRA asking me to extend my membership, even though I just renewed my membership a few months ago and sent them a donation. I'm going to call them and tell them to only send me 1 renewal reminder per year when my membership is due to expire and nothing else, otherwise I won't be renewing. I support them but I'm getting tired of the constant bombardment of crap mail from them. They must spend most of my membership dues on mailings trying to get me to donate more and renew,

i joined on 2/6 as a lifetime member, and i still have yet to receive my card/packet.. they just told me this morning that it was taking in between 4-8 weeks for those cards to get sent out.. when i originally signed up, they told me 2-4 weeks (im a bit over 4 weeks now).. apparently they have gotten inundated with people joining (such as myself.. lol)

So, the people on here saying they will quit the NRA because of junk mail...

You'll cut back on your efforts to protect the 2nd Amendment just because of spam?

I would not quit because of spam. But I did send them an email stating that I will not be renuing because they gave up on NJ.

I do not join them anymore. I provide them money using the round up on web sites that is far in excess of membership dues. When I joined them last few times I had the same problem that you did plus the NRA was sending me mail and calling me at home to solicit funds for everything they were involved in. I kept telling them to leave me alone but the mail and calls kept on coming so I did not renew with them. Their phone solicitations were getting too aggressive for my tastes. It is much better giving them money using the round up on the many websites I buy from. Plus last year they got local politicians to present legislation to allow open carry in Florida and then allowed the bill to get watered down to no open carry and only to allow brief exposure of a concealed weapon. Far from an open carry law and no definition of what "brief" means and we still have people being arrested for unintentional exposure of concealed firearms. These days with SuperPACS and people like Bloomberg matching the NRA dollar for dollar on advertising and campaigns, the only real strength of the NRA is its united voter block. Unfortunately during the Presidential election they showed that they were unable to deliver the votes of its members and politicians have taken notice. I think my vote is more valuable than my lousy few bucks for membership anyway.

Somehow they got my phone number. I've been getting calls for some company that they've engaged to do surveys. Even though I'm on the do not call list, and asked them to remove me from their call list, I still get the calls.

I've been a Life Member for going on close to 30 years. I receive no emails or phone calls. Email wasn't invented yet when I signed-up Kiddies, lol!

I don't go around signing-up for free sh!t, giving up my email. Vacations, trips, magazines, watches, sports equipment, guided hunts, boats, motors, pools, etc., etc.! You can keep yer free sh!t

I'll keep my sanity.....

Similar topic, but different angle..

i joined a month ago.. i get an email every single day from the NRA (giving an update to what they are doing).. its quite annoying..

My question is this. i'm assuming i get an email everyday because we are in a unique time, a life or death time. But what i want to know is one year ago.. for those of you NRA member where they have your email. Did they send an email out every single day? (i don't mean spam). i mean a real email from WLP each day.?

"unsubscribe" works guys. You can hit the unsubscribe link at the bottom of emails and turn off most of the spam (unless it's a phishing scam or other malicious email), but if you're getting too much email from the NRA, or any other legit organization, the email includes a method to turn it off. Snail mail: just write or call and ask them to only send you what you want (i.e. no more "raffle entries" only renewal notices annually, like PDM says.). Takes a few seconds.

I used to get the merchandise emails from NRA all the time, turned it off a couple of years ago and haven't received one since.

I got the same thing - I've been a life member longer than Smokin .50, - and I wasn't getting anything from them for a LONG time, until I emailed and inquired what happened to:

(a) my Endowment membership - did that years ago, but somehow I got busted-back to Life.

(b) my Rifleman subscription - go look at the web based version once and they turn-off the magazine subscription.

Well, I never heard back from the membership folks as to why I lost my endowment membership.

I had to go onto the NRA web page and wade-thru all of the junk to get my subscription turned back on (just got the first - the election edition showed last week).

And a few days after I emailed membership, I started getting the daily dose of Spam maintenance guy mentioned (vaginal mesh, weight loss, male enhancement, bank loans, etc.) It seems to be settling down with increased use of the spam filter, but a few still wriggle-thru.

It's been awhile since I paid attention to the NRA, and it appears they haven't changed much - more concerned with covering Wayne LaPierre's $970,000 salary than what goes on in NJ.

I've had the same email address for 15+ years and have never had very much junk mail.

I re-joined the NRA a couple of months ago after a several year hiatus and all the sudden I'm flooded with junk mail. Dozens of emails every day wanting to sell me weight loss pills, auto insurance scams, checking on the condition of my vaginal mesh, introductions to Russian women, etc.

The last time I joined the NRA, I was flooded with junk mail in my postal mail and with sales phone calls. I suspected that the NRA had sold my address and phone number back then and that was a big part of why I did not re-join. This time I used a fake phone number when I joined but I suspect they sold my email address.

Has anyone else experienced this or am I just too much of a conspiracy theorist?

You'll get tons of NRA affiliate spam when you join.

Other than that a brand new giant botnet recently went active and was shut down. On a mail system I run, we went from about 18% of mail being egregious spam we just drop on the floor to near 40% now back down to the mid teens over the last 3-4 days.

It could just be that. To go along with, there have been a number of compromised address books amongst people I correspond with lately.

I don't particulary mind the flood of emails or junk mail in my mail box. What does bother me is all of the phone calls. I receive a call from them atleast 3 times a week looking for MORE money. I gave once in January and that seems to have put me onto a list. I told them I donated once and I will renew when the time comes but that does not seem to be enough for them. I asked them to stop calling and they said they would but the calls keep coming. The next time they call I am going to tell them to cancel my mewmbership because I don't want to be harassed at home by a group whose main goal seems to be raising money.

I don't particulary mind the flood of emails or junk mail in my mail box. What does bother me is all of the phone calls. I receive a call from them atleast 3 times a week looking for MORE money. I gave once in January and that seems to have put me onto a list. I told them I donated once and I will renew when the time comes but that does not seem to be enough for them. I asked them to stop calling and they said they would but the calls keep coming. The next time they call I am going to tell them to cancel my mewmbership because I don't want to be harassed at home by a group whose main goal seems to be raising money.

This is why I will never renew my NRA membership. Nothing but constant junk mail and phone calls asking for more money.

All you have to do to get rid of excessive NRA mail is:

Simply email us at [email protected] or dial 800-NRA-3888 and request to be placed on the "Do Not Promote" list. This will significantly reduce the amount of mail you receive without affecting important mailings, magazine service, or your membership renewal.

All you have to do to get rid of excessive NRA mail is:

Simply email us at [email protected] or dial 800-NRA-3888 and request to be placed on the "Do Not Promote" list. This will significantly reduce the amount of mail you receive without affecting important mailings, magazine service, or your membership renewal.

If I'm not on the "do not promote" list does the NRA send me junk I don't want or does it sell my email address to other companies so they can send me the junk I don't want.